Of Parcels and Men

mickthechippy

space cadet
Site Supporter
As some of you will know

I do a bit of wheeling and dealing, its in my blood, my grandfather who I spent a fair bit of time in my youth was the same, buy a bit of this, sell it on and hopefully make a bit of profit, most of the time its either the local auctions, Ebay, Gumtree, facebook, bootfairs or even selling on here

many a thing of strange and wondrous description have passed through my hands

getting down to the nitty gritty, I saw a post on the old facebook chippys page, a matey from the furthest reaches of Ultima Thule, well Lancashire in truth, was after a new bench saw,

Aha me thinks and I got in touch to see if the price I had in mind for the new, still in the box, Makita TL100 saw that was lurking upstairs in the small back bedroom was to be amenable to both parties, after a few ups and downs, the amount of her madges gold coins to be transferred to my paypal account was agreed on

so far so good, quick check on the paypal wallet tally and I was struggling with a big heavy old box, wrapping extra cardboard as packing to it with the obligatory parcel tape, half hours labour saw me finished with the box labelled up on 4 different sides to make sure there is at least one legible address for the courier to read

early doors yesterday, and the trusty T4 was fired up and the nose pointed in the direction of the courier I normally use and off we went, rodger waters "amused to death" CD blaring out the speakers, the miles shot past and soon the big green shed hove into view

out the van and into the reception area, the young Indian fella who allus makes me chuckle a bit, welcomed me with his cheery grin and a five mins of greetings and inquiries as to health and wellbeing took place,

out to the motor, parcel loaded onto the sack barrow and I noticed a slight change to his visage, deep thought wrinkles perhaps, ?

onto the scales and hes looking a tad worried now,

wassup ? I enquire, its too heavy he says, we cant send it, our max weight for any item is 30 kilos and this is 43.6, well over the max

well no amount of cajouling could convince him to accept it, himself stating it would only get to the hub, be weighed and then returned to the big green shed and I would have to come back and pick it up and pay an excess fee

with his apologies ringing in my ears, back in the van with it and back on the road,

what to do now ?, never mind we will go to another courier just up the road, 10 mins later we arrive at the said destination

into the reception and the girl was very amenable, yes they could carry it, but they only accept bookings on line, not at the depot I am in, WTF ? Im there with cash and the parcel, yet Ive gotta go home, book online, pay by paypal or card, print off delivery notes and then wait for a matey to collect it ????

giving up, Im on the road again to yet another parcel depot, inside and asking again, this time not only have I got to do the same as the second depot, but the price for delivery is eye watering !!!

off back home, sat sitting with a cup of hot sweet java, the pooter is fired up and the second depot website is searched, details entered and quotes obtained, then and only then I set up the printer and attach it to the laptop, now this normally isnt a problem, fit the leads, add paper, press a button and away we go

Nooooo ! not today it aint, the pooter isnt recognising the printer, check the leads, ink, paper feeds etc, and it still aint working, strip down, reset it up again and its now saying the driver aint driving,

half hour of cursing everything electronic, courier companys, and the ire is properly rising, then the wench decides to chuck in her bit and regale me for my lack of techy skills, cheers love

rerun the installation disk, still nobbut, poxy things, I can build you a house or any such things, but this is doing my nut in

gave up, took the dog for a walk, still fuming and only gradually calmed down, Two Bobs worth of black dog proper ran after the well hurled tennis ball,

back home again, and thinking,

well I rang Nobby, a guru of tech, quarter hour of convo and it was decided to pop over his this morn and he would sort me with his all singing and dancing hi power machine

cheers mate

but, it dont end there, he lives near the indomitable Mr Gilbert, purveyor of fine floats and elastics, so being a convivial type of mush even though my ire is still causing a blood pressure hike, I decide to bell him too to arrange a visit to HQ, after Id been to Nobbys

good old chat but hes at the gallery this morn, looking after the fragrant far to good for him, mrs Gilberts pictures and paintings, and so thats gone up the kyhber too !!!

still, I decided to google a few more couriers to check prices as to the bloody huge heavy parcel, and.................. sometimes the gods smile, after they have had thier fun with you, and a name came up with a telephone number to it, not really hoping to much, I belled it too

And found an Angel, or as close to it as I could get, a very nice young lady called Angela replied to all my inquiries and was the answer to my dreams

5 mins later, she has told me to bring the parcel to thier office, which is within 5 miles, and she would sort all my problems for me,

notwithstanding the price she quoted me was around a third cheaper with the added insurance than any other courier company

today, this very morn, I met her, parcel handed over, cash paid and its on its way

her face proper lit up after the conclusion of our dealings as I handed her a box of choccies over, celebrations none the less, proper perked she was

and Im now on thier customer listings

RESULT ! (gods are fickle buggers)

Last edited:

nico12

Grebe Grabber
Great Story...Couriers / Posting Tackle is a nightmare....( or in your case other kit) - Had some disasters

Total

Site Supporter
No one tells a tale as well as your good self....Always a pleasure to read your postings and most often make me smile.:giggle:....

Glad you got a result in the end.....

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Welcome to my every day world, but it all comes good in the end. :upthumb:

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
When i sent a pole to the states i rang around all the courier companies and was in need of a defibrilator after being told the prices due to it's weird dimensions!
I eventually went with the cheapest, which was parcel force, yep surprised me as well, i couldn't believe they were a tenner cheaper than any other!

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I've used Parcel Monkey several times and they generally sort you out.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Great post Mick, had me chuckling into my tea. Nice to see the 'Angel' being rewarded, little gestures like that repay themselves a thousandfold, and give both parties a nice sense of wellbeing. (y)(y)

rudd

Site Supporter
When i sent a pole to the states i rang around all the courier companies and was in need of a defibrilator after being told the prices due to it's weird dimensions!
I eventually went with the cheapest, which was parcel force, yep surprised me as well, i couldn't believe they were a tenner cheaper than any other!
Because it wont fit in many ISO airfreight containers.
Couriers have booked slots with carriers on set f!ights with set container position in the hold based on analitic data.
ISO containers fit in certain parts of the hold like a jigsaw.
A surprising amount of cargo is carried on passenger flights - hence weight restrictions.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
A surprising amount of cargo is carried on passenger flights - hence weight restrictions.

Most of the budget flights are the same it's how they can make their fares so cheap!
Flights to/from from Ireland are the same with Ryan air or Stobart air, when you fly with Stobart air you have a much lower "personal allowence" due to the fact it is actually a frieght carrier with provision for passengers!

stikflote

Site Supporter
I bought a Electric bike off E Bay, two days later DHL delivered A box i opened expecting a bike
bin the box was a front wheel and a battery , i thought ive been done here ,next day i was just going e mail seller

a knock door dog going mad and a big parcel delivered by Parcel,Force
rest of bike,,i thought its a bit strange ,so E Mailed seller, the answer was Parcel Force dont have a licence to carry Batterys
and carry Bikes:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Total

Site Supporter
Hermes delivered a parcel to me yesterday evening....Knock on the door and leaves me 8 bottles of wine in a cardboard box by the door!:oops:.....I'd ordered 25 kgs of 4mm pellet! :oops::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:......He'd muddled up the parcels and addresses whilst sorting out in his van.....All was well in the end......