Oculus 799xs vs matrix mtx3

Foul hooked

Ok. So following my previous thread re a new pole, I think I have narrowed it down. Mtx 3 , slightly over budget but gets rave reviews. The Maver which seems lighter and thinner And 200 quid less.
I thought I had settled on the Maver as the matrix was unavailable. However it now seems that stocks are coming in.
Not going to be fishing matches on commercials but really want to try and master the pole, both on the river and canal, where 13/4.5m will generally be enough but also want the versatility of the extra length and strength to have a go at the commercials. Regularly fish a lake that has a good head of Rudd and carp and have seen the pole used to good effect here both in margins and to the island at 16m.
Whilst I believe in value for money and hmrc are contributing to this due to a tax rebate, both seem decent poles and the dilemma is the matrix worth the extra bearing in mind it is also heavier, but comes with more top kits.
Anyone tried both.?

Mikey213175

Have the occulus 999xs. Superb pole. Light,Stiff and very responsive.

Had carp to double figures and double figure roach bags at 14.5.…
Go for the maver pal...

Foul hooked

Have the occulus 999xs. Superb pole. Light,Stiff and very responsive.

Had carp to double figures and double figure roach bags at 14.5.…
Go for the maver pal...
The 999 is a bit over my budget, but iof the 799xs is as good as the reviews i have seen of the 999 then it may be the one for me. My main concern is weight/balance as i am not an experienced pole angler, mainly due to the fact that my current one is absolute rubbish and impossible to fih at anything over about 8m

SteveinSwindon

I have the oculus 999, nice pole but wouldn't fancy anything as big as double figure carp on it! the walls feel fragile to me - good job I don't fish carp puddles! If you are looking for an all rounder though, as opposed to a carp basher, I think the oculus is a good buy!

Pyffy

Site Supporter
I bought the MTX3 as soon as they came back into the country this year and paid £1195 for it and so far love it. Only had it out up to 13m so far as that's the width of our local snake lake. Compared to my last pole at 13m the MTX3 is light and rigid and strikes cleanly with little bounce. At Top 2 + 2/3 it is a joy to hold and play fish on. So far I've caught no fish above a few pounds but as it warms up I'm hoping to connect to some of the 10 pounders in there. The pole comes with two extensions, 3 power top 2's, 4 ultra match top 2's plus a dedicated cupping kit and 2 cups all housed in a quality pole bag. I spent a lot of last year during lock down weighing up poles in the £1000 to £1500 bracket and after having a little waggle with a quite a few, including an Occulus 999 xs, I decided on this one All in all I am very happy with the pole for the price I paid and hope as the year progresses I can give it a proper work out on the river and the G.U.C.

Swim Jim

Formerly: jjpendurocomp
Site Supporter
Another vote for the Mtx3. Absolutely fantastic upto 13m and very good at 14.5m.

I got mine from a local tackle shop last March £1099. I also bought a short No3 (stiffens it up ever more) and the Mtx 11m power which is fully interchangeable with the Mtx3. All for well under £1500