Octbox D25 User

david07

Site Supporter
I was unsure as to whether to write a review of the Oct box D25 or not as the River configuration that I bought is no longer available, having been replaced by the New Mk18. However, as "carp dundee" has asked for an update to my "first impressions" post, here it is.

I've had the box for nearly 6 months now and used it on average 2 or 3 times a week during this time. As your can appreciate this is equal to a year's use for many anglers. I've used it on Commercial fisheries, large open water bream venues with steep sloping banks and on the boulder strewn banks of the Tidal Trent. It's fair to say that it's been around a bit already. So how has it performed?

In my "first impressions" post I explained how I initially set the box up. Nearly 6 months later after being thrown around, dropped, being set up on rocks and in the water with the long legs fully extended it is still exactly as I set it up. Nothing has worked loose or failed and I haven't so much as had to tighten up a grub screw.

It's reasonably light and an easy "carry". For shortish walks of up to a couple of hundred yards I don't use a wheel kit but will be getting the new puncture-proof Oct box one because I like the idea of not having to use a barrow over longer distances.

As I said previously I like the configuration of the box (very similar to my old Fox MSB), all my old attachments fit the Ocbox so everything is pretty much stored or attached exactly where it was before. This meant that the D25 felt familiar/the same from the off, with non of that "adjusting to something new" feeling. The only tweek I made was to couple the box with a Nufish side tray which makes it an even better set-up for the varied fishing that I do.

Things I really like about the D25: It's rock solid, robust, super functional and you can add bits to it to your hearts content if you want to. I haven't used a separate platform since I got the box because with the longer legs I haven't needed one when setting up in the water. A couple of points here, the Octbox is VERY stable even when the legs are fully extended. When set up in the water and feeder fishing for bream I am now happy and confident to stand up to cast when going for a big chuck. This is because not only is it rock solid but the footplate is plenty large enough to get good, wide foot placement. Much better than my old four leg platform. Setting up in water could not be easier. I simply unclip and remove the drawer module then set up the (now very light) platform/base in the water then clip the seat module back on, Simples! Finally, I have never, ever had a leg slip after I have tightened them up. As I keep saying, it's solid as a rock.

There's not much else to say other than that the seat is nice and comfy and the box does everything I ask of it.

Dislikes: None.

That's it, not much else to say other than I really like it and have yet to find fault with it.

Regards, David.

Nobby_nobbs

Site Supporter
I will openly admit that I was one of the doubters of the Octbox for a long time (4 years) and watched it develop over those years
A few of the local lads had them and still I wavered on getting one. But after looking and talking to two different owners and plonking my bum on one I decided to spend the money.
Having a trolley I decided to get just the box and the side tray. I got the 4 drawer D25 it was delivered on time for the annual TBF trip last June fitted out with matrix winders off I went.
I have to say I am well pleased I got shut of the Rive D25 and bought this. I’ve not gone down the knob less route yet.
Would I swap it for any other on the market today not bloody likely.

Peezartiste

@Nobby_nobbs I would recommend the knobless route. Once you set the height frame as you want it you get rid of 4 knobs, outer legs are not normally moved so there is another 6 gone. So that's 10 less projections for line to snag on.
I saw a video Rick made a few years back demonstrating the strength by standing on the extended footplate with only the back feet of the box and the front feet of the footplate down. So I tried it. I removed the inner legs and feet from the front legs of the box and now only use box back legs/feet and footplate front legs/feet. I am 17stone and the frame has never twisted or warped using it like this. That's another 2 knobs gone.
I carry an allen key so that in the unlikely event something has to be adjusted I can do it, but have never used it in 3 years.
P 16 Avalon.jpg
As i do not use the front right leg on the box I have connected the frame and the height frame with a very short outer leg, I cut down. This enables me to swivel to my right to hold my pole without the leg pressing into my thigh.

david07

Site Supporter
Peezartiste raised a very good point about the strength and stability of the box. Whilst I have never deliberately set the box up on just 4 legs there have been a few occasions where after fishing a match I have gone to pack away and found that I haven't used the "middle" set of legs and have just fished for 5 hours without noticing any difference. Like I said, its as solid as a rock!

slappy2

@Nobby_nobbs I would recommend the knobless route. Once you set the height frame as you want it you get rid of 4 knobs, outer legs are not normally moved so there is another 6 gone. So that's 10 less projections for line to snag on.
I saw a video Rick made a few years back demonstrating the strength by standing on the extended footplate with only the back feet of the box and the front feet of the footplate down. So I tried it. I removed the inner legs and feet from the front legs of the box and now only use box back legs/feet and footplate front legs/feet. I am 17stone and the frame has never twisted or warped using it like this. That's another 2 knobs gone.
I carry an allen key so that in the unlikely event something has to be adjusted I can do it, but have never used it in 3 years.
P 16 Avalon.jpg
As i do not use the front right leg on the box I have connected the frame and the height frame with a very short outer leg, I cut down. This enables me to swivel to my right to hold my pole without the leg pressing into my thigh.

Been looking at these model boxes as new ones could not afford to buy!!
Love the seat on the top as my back plays me up with my illness and would help me loads!!
What models of the box would you recommend to buy when time comes too ?
Thanks j

Peezartiste

@slappy2 Hi James long time no see.
If you are just doing commercials then a D25 is good. River, and pegs requiring to get in to the deeper water, then the D36. Although I use my D25 at Durleigh Res, up to about a foot deep, and as you know you have to get out a fair bit to find any depth there. My seat and swivel mechanism was purchased on ebay, less than £50 and then you have to put it together. Made a big difference to me.
The prices have drastically increased since I got min about 5 years ago, but they are solid and at my age, I don't expect to ever have to buy another box. But if I had to I would buy Octbox again.
They come up regularly on ebay, and there are a couple of Facebook sites, one for selling and buying Octbox and you often see them for as little as £250.
Octbox are a bit like marmite, you like them or hate them. I like marmite and I like Octbox.

Swim Jim

Formerly: jjpendurocomp
Site Supporter
I will openly admit that I was one of the doubters of the Octbox for a long time (4 years) and watched it develop over those years
A few of the local lads had them and still I wavered on getting one. But after looking and talking to two different owners and plonking my bum on one I decided to spend the money.
Having a trolley I decided to get just the box and the side tray. I got the 4 drawer D25 it was delivered on time for the annual TBF trip last June fitted out with matrix winders off I went.
I have to say I am well pleased I got shut of the Rive D25 and bought this. I’ve not gone down the knob less route yet.
Would I swap it for any other on the market today not bloody likely.
Definitely need to go knobless. (y)