Oakley Fishery, Oakley Road, Bromley, Kent

Status
Not open for further replies.

gibby

I prefer the rivers myself, but any fishing is better than no fishing, so I thought I would give this a go.

Its a small pond on the junction of a busy road so its not exactly peaceful. Day tickets are six quid and while the baliff took my money, he claimed to have run out of tickets (wonder if he is on the fiddle?).

At the entrance is a notice board showing photographs of what look to be 20+ carp caught there.

There were about a dozen anglers out, several tackled up for carp with a copuple of rods and a bivvy and a few youngsters.

Wasn't quite sure what tactics to use so I started by float fishing double maggot on an 18 hook fished on the bottom. Immediately started catching gudgeon. Upped teh hook size to a 14, switched to corn and caught a succession of pastie carp between half a pound and a pound and one goldfish! Lost count at about 35 fish and as nets were banned had no idea of what the lot weighed.

Chatted to others on the bank who said that according to the owner there were 20+ carp and even some sturgeon in there.

Not really my cup of tea, but its only a mile from where I live so until the rivers open, I would probaly go back. If you want to catch and are not too fussy about the location you could do worse.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Gibby,
Is that the little lake on the right as you drive out of Bromley just before the Bus Garage and McDonalds?

Peter.
Datafile7.asp

Maggotdrowning.com
Individual Champion 2005 [:D]

Jinx Squad 2005/2006

gibby

Yes,

Drive out of Bromley and its on Oakley Road going towards Keston.

bobalong

Tried this place today for a couple of hours, it was very quiet with just a family of three fishing when I arrived. I fished with my back to the road by what appeared to be an inflow of some sort.

Took Gibby's advice, I fished on the pole, close to the reeds, fishing sweetcorn on the bottom on a 15 hook. I caught steadily for the three hours I was there, with perhaps 25-30 small carp up to about 24oz. They were predominately dark Commons with a couple of hard fighting Mirrors. I also caught two very nice Tench, one of about 24oz and the other about 3lbs. Good fun on light tackle.

The bailiff took my money and issued a ticket no problem today. He also set up a hose to pump the water around the lake, I presume to help with oxygenation on a warm sunny day.

It was an OK session to sum up, lots of fish but the noise of the road and building work occuring nearby did get a bit grating! But it is very close to home.

gibby

Hi Bobalong

Glad you caught a few at Oakley Road. Lots of fish there, but with teh traffic noise, not particulalrly peaceful. Will try to get to Keston one evening this week and I'll let you know how I get on.

Gibby

Status
Not open for further replies.