Oak Island

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Sometimes catch this on TV

small island of the new england coast in america

buncha geezers spending untold loot looking for treasure. not any treasure mind you

but Templar treasure

for some strange reason, these yanks think that after the repression of the knights templar in europe by the french king, that they sailed way way across the atlantic to lands undiscovered and decided to bury the fabled loot they had aquired since thier inception around the time of the first crusade to the attack and destruction of thier order, on this small sandy island, then protect it against discovery with elaborate traps that still function after all this time

well ?

160642fishing

Site Supporter
They're Amaricans,they believe anything,like Trumps pre election pledge not to put any more American boots on foreign lands.

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
It would appear the film "National Treasure" has a lot to answer for. The Americans must believe it is based on a true story!!!!

fishcatcher4

The wife watches it.

I have watched a few episodes with her and it must have cost them millions of dollars.

Lcn

Seen a couple of episodes and all they seemed to find was a piece of wood at the end of both of them

foster82

its not a bad watch but cant see them ever fining anything, There is a spin off show as well which is not too bad the curse of t civil war gold.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
I remember first reading about Oak island money pit back in the early 80's, of course as a "schoolboy" my mind ran all sorts of images, masses of gold, the body of christ, the original "commandment" tablets all sorts.

When i saw this program advertises i had to watch it...and gave up after a few weeks because it was obviously just another "Americans easily pleased" set up so i haven't watched any since.
From what i've seen in the adverts for it they are getting nowhere, hell back in the early 1900s a certain Franklin Roosevelt was there and dug down to a couple of hundred feet with nothing to show for it, so many people have tried to find the money pit treasures and none have succeeded to me if there was anything there it is long gone and the "money pit" is just that, a hole that people will continue to throw money into hoping to find something that isn't there.

Feldy

Site Supporter
Used to watch it but it's one of those "Could there possibly be xyz at the bottom of pit 15" at the end of every episode and they've never actually found anything worthwhile.
Rick must have very deep pockets.

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
I've been watching this since the beginning of the TV shows and it's quite entertaining, although it does promise a lot and delivers very little.

That said...

They have found lots of evidence of ancient occupation (the cross, coins etc.) that are out of place on a remote island miles from Europe

They have found artefacts at depth (100+ft) book bindings, bones, ancient worked timbers etc. that (arguably) proves there was some form of deep excavation taking place hundreds of years ago, although to date they have found nothing I would categorise as 'treasure'.

However, it's probably only in the last few series that they've become professional in their approach, up until then it was very haphazard, and they still have a habit of focusing on one element for ages (say drilling a major hole) and then going off at a tangent to go look at something completely different. I'd like to see a much more systematic approach with proper planning and leadership... but I don't think that's ever going to happen.

Is there a major earthwork/excavation down there? Almost certainly, but what, by who and why remains to be understood.

Is there treasure down there? I doubt it, I suspect it's long gone and all they'll find is leftovers, scraps and the odd fragment.

Will they find it this season? No. I suspect if there was a major find it would have been in the press long before the series aired.

Will I keep watching? Yes. But I keep my expectations low.

Feldy

Site Supporter
[

Is the old man still alive Spanky, the one that's been searching about 60 years?

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
One episode showed a "Ancient sword", that they had picked up in the bay

they sent it off for dating to an expert amidst huge self congratulating as it was an item of significant importantance

now anybody with a modicum of sense would of in a cursory glance seen it for what it was

yet they spent a shedload a loot, only to get it back from the expert antiquarian with a note and look of absolute increduality that they thought it was even worth his time authenticating it

Simon R

Site Supporter
I read about this in one of those "Worlds Greatest ........... " books many moons ago

1578315586660.png

Suzy Lamplugh was headline news at the times so late 80s probably.

No mention made of any Knights Templar connection though - the treasure was thought to have been buried by either English privateers, ships of the Spanish Main or just plain pirates. I think the 'mystery' was twofold - what the tresaure was and how they were going to be able to retrieve it , given that the 'pit' had, if I remember correctly, subterranean connections to the sea which if not sealed off would lead to the pit becoming innundated with water.

Personally I have my doubts that anything will be found, after the ground has been raked over and excavated so many times.

Simon