N'ZON Z Vs Acolyte Feeder Rods

• Thread starter Deleted member 24128
  • Start date

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Probably the correct answer was buy the drennan as it’s a good rod and you’ll probably never find the daiwa lol. I think I may have seen one in an AD but not sure which model/length and it obviously wasn’t very memorable. Would never buy a comfortably £100 plus rod blind myself that’s for sure.

trotter2

I commented on the Acolyte Plus because I use one. I don’t own nor have I seen the Diawa so I did’t comment on it nor do I know if it’s better or not. I don’t really see why you appear to have such an issue with Drennan gear.
We all know Reuben that nejohn has a hidden agenda.
About time he came clean imo so what's the real reason nejohn.

nejohn

Site Supporter
We all know Reuben that nejohn has a hidden agenda.
About time he came clean imo so what's the real reason nejohn.
No hidden agenda, OK I don't like the acolyte float rods, the action doesn't suit me but if everyone liked the same rods we would all own Tri-casts ;) but that is just a personal thing. I do own other drennan rods and have no issues with them, I wouldn't however recommend a drennan reel to anyone as there are far better reels on the market than what drennan has to offer for the same money.

I do however have issues when a person comes on asking for comparisons between 2 rods and all of the answers are not relevant to his question, the OP asked if anyone had any experience of both rods all of the answers initially were buy an acolyte with no other reason than 'I have one and I like it' ...!! not things like I tried both and found the acolyte better because....which I think was what the OP was asking for. If you noticed in my 1st reply to this post I did say the acolyte feeder rod was undoubtedly a good rod but I couldn't comment on how it compared to the Daiwa as I had not tried the Daiwa and I suspect all of those that had said buy the Drennan had also not tried the Daiwa.
I also have some issues with people recommending only one rod/manufacturer everyone is not the same if you read my posts I will always give more than one alternative when I make a recommendation (I often don't recommend Drennan because someone has already done that to death ) and always suggest trying as many as they can so they find what suits them. So no issues with Drennan kit just issues with people that recommend only Drennan kit, like I would have issues with people that only recommended Daiwa or Maver, or Browning etc etc, there is lots of good tackle out there at all price points from many different manufactures, I don't assume that just because I like an item of kit everyone will hence why I always give alternatives for different manufactures.....unless someone asks an opinion on a particular piece of kit then if I have any knowledge of that item I will comment

nejohn

Site Supporter
And just to add to the above I have just come back from the tackle shop with a handful of drennan floats and hooks.....so no I don't have an issue with drennan kit

Rick123

Site Supporter
I'm currently considering a new feeder rod and I am between the 11ft N'ZON Z 60g C/WT in the 2-piece or the Acolyte Plus 11ft which has the same C/WT and also a 2 piece. I just want something lighter and a little shorter than I have for fishing my club lakes and commercials and maybe on the canal from time to time.

Any of you have experience with these two? Which do you prefer and why? It's difficult to decide with no way to get my hands on them both. I am familiar with Acolyte looks and construction as I have one of the float rods but that only goes some way to helping me understand the fit and finish of this line. It tells me nothing else.

I'm currently leaning towards the Daiwa but I have no idea why. Any help here would be appreciated. I'm also open to other suggestions.

Can I urge you to look at the 11' feeders from Tri-Cast buddy? You will find a best on test on You-Tube, I brought one and I love the thing. It will cast up to 40/50 grams but at 30 grams its elite. Plays big fish (15/17lb) on six pound pulse like a dream. I had the decision down to the Acolyte (That I have 4 of now) or the Tricast. I'm sure the Drennan will be great, but watch the review and be informed? Best wishes Richard.

Rick123

Site Supporter
Enjoy the rod, I do however find the comments re Daiwa customer service as being bad very hard to take as every time I have had to deal with them they have been 1st class and I know many other people that have had similar experiences. It may depend on who your area rep is and I have not had any dealings with the one in south wales so can't comment but when I dealt with them in the north east and also direct with Daiwa they often went over and above what I would have expected

John, I think you have to speak as you find, don't you? In the past I would always say Daiwa, but in the past few years I have try to contact them(mail) but had no reply at all. I agree Daiwa make some of the best rods going and I love them, but honestly I would now buy elsewhere based on what I have found the service to be. Its just my opinion and I expect the shop mentioned did not have a full franchise as they did for Drennan? Best wishes Richard.

nejohn

Site Supporter
John, I think you have to speak as you find, don't you? In the past I would always say Daiwa, but in the past few years I have try to contact them(mail) but had no reply at all. I agree Daiwa make some of the best rods going and I love them, but honestly I would now buy elsewhere based on what I have found the service to be. Its just my opinion and I expect the shop mentioned did not have a full franchise as they did for Drennan? Best wishes Richard.
Email is not the best medium to contact large organisations with, as they get 1000's of emails everyday, so through necessity they use very aggressive spam filters , so many emails with good intentions never actually get read, it is not they are ignoring your email it is just they have for all intents and purposes not received it, I gave up trying to contact manufacturers by email a long time ago if I need to contact anyone I find the phone number of customer service dept and talk to someone .....usually find the service much better and much quicker...we are living in an age where we have forgotten how to actually talk to people

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
The Acolyte is a better rod than the N'zon having handled both and without any bias.
Our customer service from Daiwa has always been excellent and compares with the best in the trade but we have had two good reps in the last ten years which helps a lot.

Reuben

Site Supporter
No hidden agenda, OK I don't like the acolyte float rods, the action doesn't suit me but if everyone liked the same rods we would all own Tri-casts ;) but that is just a personal thing. I do own other drennan rods and have no issues with them, I wouldn't however recommend a drennan reel to anyone as there are far better reels on the market than what drennan has to offer for the same money.

I do however have issues when a person comes on asking for comparisons between 2 rods and all of the answers are not relevant to his question, the OP asked if anyone had any experience of both rods all of the answers initially were buy an acolyte with no other reason than 'I have one and I like it' ...!! not things like I tried both and found the acolyte better because....which I think was what the OP was asking for. If you noticed in my 1st reply to this post I did say the acolyte feeder rod was undoubtedly a good rod but I couldn't comment on how it compared to the Daiwa as I had not tried the Daiwa and I suspect all of those that had said buy the Drennan had also not tried the Daiwa.
I also have some issues with people recommending only one rod/manufacturer everyone is not the same if you read my posts I will always give more than one alternative when I make a recommendation (I often don't recommend Drennan because someone has already done that to death ) and always suggest trying as many as they can so they find what suits them. So no issues with Drennan kit just issues with people that recommend only Drennan kit, like I would have issues with people that only recommended Daiwa or Maver, or Browning etc etc, there is lots of good tackle out there at all price points from many different manufactures, I don't assume that just because I like an item of kit everyone will hence why I always give alternatives for different manufactures.....unless someone asks an opinion on a particular piece of kit then if I have any knowledge of that item I will comment
Where did I or anyone else say ‘buy an acolyte’? People said they were great rods - & they are. Case closed anyway, the OP bought the Drennan as he couldn’t even find the Diawa within a reasonable distance.

trotter2

And just to add to the above I have just come back from the tackle shop with a handful of drennan floats and hooks.....so no I don't have an issue with drennan kit
Just that you never recommend any drennan rods past or present. And go out of your way to continually slate the acolyte range and even have a pop at the way drennan run there sales business strange that.
Perhaps you should explain your real reasons and not some bullshit answer.

richox12

Maybe many shops won't stock Daiwa because of their business model in giving big discounts to some and so smaller shops cannot ever compete (imagine buying something trade for a higher price than a big competitor can actually sell it for as they bought it for far less than you ever could). Maybe that's why Daiwa items are harder to locate. Whereas with Drennan it's the same price for all no matter size of business and so everyone is happy to stock items knowing that they won't be screwed on price.

squimp

Site Supporter
It would be interesting to look at the reasons why Drennan stuff is everywhere from a tackle dealers perspective.

it just might be something to do with the margins......Or the buying terms.

I can remember a time when my local shop ditched Shimano because the big Shops were selling reels at a lower price than he could buy them for.

PS I have lots of float and feeder rods And not one of them is an Acolyte. So it isn’t just neJohn.

trotter2

It's all down to what the customer wants, value for money plays a massive part in what an angler buys. Daiwa rods tip end are way more expensive than drennan top end rods.
A tackle shop stocks what it can sell that's the way of any business. Acolytes offer a rod of unbeatable quality for a bargain price too good to resist when compared with other similar priced rods. Shimano on the other hand will only supply one shop in a town with there own goods similar to the same marketing strategy used by Hardy's.

nejohn

Site Supporter
Just that you never recommend any drennan rods past or present. And go out of your way to continually slate the acolyte range and even have a pop at the way drennan run there sales business strange that.
Perhaps you should explain your real reasons and not some bullshit answer.
1, I don't slate the acolyte range I have said I understand why people like them, just because I say I don't like a particular rod is not slating it and I have given reasons why I don't like the rod...for me the action is flawed but that is just my opinion, just because it does not agree with your opinion does not mean I am wrong in my thoughts, so in short if disagreeing with you means I am slating it then so be it.
2. I have never once questioned the quality of the acolyte feeder rods (so not all of the acolyte range) and I would possibly buy one as I think they are quite good unfortunately they for me they are too close price wise to Tri-cast so if I had to pay full price I would spend the extra and go down the tri-cast route as I feel these are better suited to me for not much more cash.
3, If you look back at my posts I think you will see I have recommended match pro's, and many older drennan rods. of the current range no I will not recommend any other than maybe the acolyte and vertex feeder rods as I feel there are better rods that give better value for money out there from other manufacturers.
4, as for the way Drennan run there business that is upto them, I have commented that you are unlikely to find a discount on drennan products as I know for a fact that they actively discourage dealers to offer discount prices and have threatened to take away the dealership if they do.....this is not hearsay this is fact it was done to a friend of mine. I have also commented that they flood the market, as you say people like shimano and hardy only allow one dealer per area, Drennan however will have many but don't allow competion between the dealers because of the no discount policy.
5, Why do I not recommend drennan products .....as stated in my previous answer when someone comes looking for recommendations it is highly likely that the instant recommendations are for drennan so why should I bother recommending them also when they have also been recommended.
6, There does however seem to be a bit of a drennan fan boy culture around tackle and maybe I like to be different from the crowd and search out other items of kit, just because I point out alternatives does not mean I am slating Drennan just saying there are alternatives and all is not always cut and dried when you take everything into consideration.
7. You say the Acolyte range is great value for money, I have just ordered a Rive R waggler 13ft light which I feel is a better rod than the drennan, ok it has a list price of £289 as opposed to the drennan of £189 but the best price I could find for the drennan was £170, I paid £195 for the Rive so not so much difference when discounts are taken into consideration....this is just one example

As for this thread I fully understand where the OP is coming from as he uses the same tackle shops as me, he clearly stated that he could easily find and handle the Acolyte but this would not be so easy in the case of the Daiwa (as we have no major daiwa stockists within sensible driving distance). hence why he specifically asked for opinions on how the 2 rods compared from people that had experience of BOTH rods not just one......yet all he got was answer regarding one rod .....and that was the rod he clearly stated that he had easy access to. We have around 8 tackle shops within a 20 mile radius of where we live all of these are almost exclusivly Drennan stockists (unfortunately we have no large multi manufacturer shops) so seeing anything other than Drennan products often proves difficult hence the original question.
Just as an example of how difficult it is to buy tackle in our part of the world let me give an example of a conversation I had in a local tackle shop about 3 years ago:-
Me I am looking for a 14ft float rod what have you in stock
Assistant We have an Acolyte ultra
Me Do you have anything else?
Assistant We have a 13ft series seven silverfish rod or a 13ft red range float rod
Me Do you have anything other than Drennan
Assistant We have a 13ft shakespeare for £50 but the acolyte is a better rod
Me No s**t Sherlock
Me Do you have any Daiwa's
Assistant Nope
Me How about Maver
Assistant Nope
Me Garbolino
Assistant Nope
Me Browning
Assistant Nope
Me Then I suppose Tri-cast is also out of the question
Assistant yes
Me could you order anything in that I could compare the acolyte to?
Assistant I could get you an Acolyte Plus
Door closes behind me......just lost over £200 worth of business

This is a true example of what it is like buying tackle in our part of the world and this is why the OP asked for comparisons, all he got was basically another example of the above conversation

D

Deleted member 24128

I can remember a time when my local shop ditched Shimano because the big Shops were selling reels at a lower price than he could buy them for.

The guy I bought the Acolyte from said that with some Daiwa stuff it was cheaper for them to buy it from Angling Direct than from Daiwa. This is undoubtedly part of the
problem.

D

Deleted member 24128

as for the way Drennan run there business that is upto them, I have commented that you are unlikely to find a discount on drennan products as I know for a fact that they actively discourage dealers to offer discount prices and have threatened to take away the dealership if they do.....this is not hearsay this is fact it was done to a friend of mine.
This is why I didn't share where I bought the rod from because I had a discount and I too know this to be a fact.

John has pretty much nailed the situation around here and from that post clearly understood completely why I posted what I did. That isn't to say I have not appreciated all the other posts because it gave me confidence in the purchase and well, I ended up with one ;-) I'm on the bank with it now as it happens and so far it's been great but I'm yet to hook something substantial yet so the jury is still out but I'm loving it so far. I would reply more comprehensively but as I said, I'm on the bank.