N'ZON Z Vs Acolyte Feeder Rods

• Thread starter Deleted member 24128
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 24128

I'm currently considering a new feeder rod and I am between the 11ft N'ZON Z 60g C/WT in the 2-piece or the Acolyte Plus 11ft which has the same C/WT and also a 2 piece. I just want something lighter and a little shorter than I have for fishing my club lakes and commercials and maybe on the canal from time to time.

Any of you have experience with these two? Which do you prefer and why? It's difficult to decide with no way to get my hands on them both. I am familiar with Acolyte looks and construction as I have one of the float rods but that only goes some way to helping me understand the fit and finish of this line. It tells me nothing else.

I'm currently leaning towards the Daiwa but I have no idea why. Any help here would be appreciated. I'm also open to other suggestions.

Last edited by a moderator:

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Can’t really comment on the plus that much as have only waggled it but it feels like a match sized carp/big tench or big chub rod to me. I reckon it’s pretty good though as I have both the 13ft ultra float and 11ft ultra feeder and they are the two bests rods I’ve ever used. Absolute joys to use for silvers and the occasional bonus fish.

Reuben

Site Supporter
I have the 11ft Plus & am very pleased with it. I still can’t believe that a rod so light & slim can handle double figure carp as well as silvers. I never feel undergunned with the carp nor overgunned on the silvers. A great rod. Parabolic action with a bit of grunt in the butt section when required. I’ve had carp of up to 15lb on it plus loads of bream up to 8 lb. At the other end of the scale roach & perch up to 1lb. A pleasure to fish with.

nejohn

Site Supporter
My advice would definitely be go and find somewhere that has both or at least get your hands on both, you will get loads of people saying get the acolyte because, a) it has been around for a while and is undoubtedly a good rod, b), because drennan kit is like a front door ie every tackle shop has one, so is easily accessible, c) the daiwa is a fairly new rod so it is not very likely that there are many out there given that it came out not long before lock down so supply would have been limited.
I wonder how many of the people recommending the drennan have actually seen never mind used the daiwa it could be that the daiwa is a better rod but they won't know that. It certainly has the potential to be a good rod, but I can't comment as like most other people making the recommendations I haven't seen one. Best advice is get out and have a look, others to maybe consider could be the Tri-cast excellence or better still the 4x4 ultra light, the sensas black arrow range (the 800 series are very good).
I fish the same waters as you and the 2 feeder rods I carry with me are a MAP 10ft bomb rod and a browning commercial king 11ft feeder rod mainly because I can carry them ready made up.

D

Deleted member 24128

My advice would definitely be go and find somewhere that has both or at least get your hands on both

Any idea where that may be around here, John. I can't think of a single shop near us that would have both of these. We don't seem to have that kind of well-stocked shop around here.

nejohn

Site Supporter
Any idea where that may be around here, John. I can't think of a single shop near us that would have both of these. We don't seem to have that kind of well-stocked shop around here.
Yes that is an issue, I think Garry Evans and possibly Cwmbran angling have the Acolyte in stock the Daiwa might be more difficult, Bristol angling centre might be a good bet or Woody's at Hereford if they havn't got one they may be able to get a sample, shops have done that with me before with Daiwa rods.....but we are a little under served with good tackle shops and the ones we have all seem to stock the same stuff

D

Deleted member 24128

Yes that is an issue, I think Garry Evans and possibly Cwmbran angling have the Acolyte in stock the Daiwa might be more difficult, Bristol angling centre might be a good bet or Woody's at Hereford if they havn't got one they may be able to get a sample, shops have done that with me before with Daiwa rods.....but we are a little under served with good tackle shops and the ones we have all seem to stock the same stuff

That's what I was thinking and I'm not prepared to go driving across the country to waggle a rod. I have to pop out up to Pontypool in a couple of hours and I may try a 4-stop-shop-trot down the valley and try my luck to see what they have. I'll call into the shops in Pontypool, Cwmbran and the two in Newport. Trouble is, it's like you said. I suspect I will find the Acolyte and although I want to get my hands on it I kind of know what I'm getting with that one. It really is the Daiwa I want to get my hands on.

Internet shopping really does have it's limitations.

nejohn

Site Supporter
Yes I see why you would like to get your hands on the Daiwa as it certainly looks like it has the potential to be a very good rod, but as you say not easy to find around here. to be fair I think that is one of the reasons Drennan products are popular, they have flooded the market place and are very accessible without a great lot of effort. If you do put the effort in you will find other manufactures make equally as good if not better kit and often for a better price as you can usually get a bit of discount which is not so easy with Drennan kit.
If you want to take a little more time I have a couple of 11ft feeder rods siting in my shed that havn't been used for a while you could borrow one of those

D

Deleted member 24128

Yes I see why you would like to get your hands on the Daiwa as it certainly looks like it has the potential to be a very good rod, but as you say not easy to find around here. to be fair I think that is one of the reasons Drennan products are popular, they have flooded the market place and are very accessible without a great lot of effort.

I have pondered this Daiwa drought in these parts for quite a while. I'm unsure of the reasons though. However, I have brought up Daiwa products a couple of times in Cwmbran Angling and every time I have he loses interest immediately. As though he does not want to deal or order their stuff for me. Last time, I got the impression, or there was an implication, that it was a waste of time because he could not be competitive on price if he did. Which is a shame if true because it suggests there is something about the way Daiwa operates that makes holding small stocks for small shops not economically viable and would itself explain why there just ain't much of it about around here. I'm speculating mind.

If you want to take a little more time I have a couple of 11ft feeder rods siting in my shed that havn't been used for a while you could borrow one of those

Thank you, John, that's a very gracious and kind offer but my conscience wouldn't be comfortable with that.

nejohn

Site Supporter
I must admit I don't think I have bought any major items of tackle from the local shops as I find their stock very limiting and they all stock the same items. I do use them for terminal tackle and bait after all Cwmbran angling centre is just a short walk through the park for me, there and back in 10 minutes.
I am lucky that I do travel quite a lot with work so usually try to take in some tackle shops on my travels, but I have been no further than Cardiff since March

fishcatcher4

Site Supporter
That's what I was thinking and I'm not prepared to go driving across the country to waggle a rod. I have to pop out up to Pontypool in a couple of hours and I may try a 4-stop-shop-trot down the valley and try my luck to see what they have. I'll call into the shops in Pontypool, Cwmbran and the two in Newport. Trouble is, it's like you said. I suspect I will find the Acolyte and although I want to get my hands on it I kind of know what I'm getting with that one. It really is the Daiwa I want to get my hands on.

Internet shopping really does have it's limitations.

Ring them first mate to see who has what in stock.

Will save you travelling about .( unless that's what you want to do) :) (y)

D

Deleted member 24128

Well, I went in one of the tackle shops, I won't say where for reasons that some of you will understand as the story unfolds but there was the 11 ft Acolyte Plus on the rack. First rod I see as I walk in. I picked it up and the fella who works there, who was dealing with another customer saw it in my hand and whispered "go on, buy an Acolyte" as he smiled. This made me chuckle, I must say.

Anyway, I got to talking to the guy and I explained that I was caught between the Daiwa and Acolyte and was hoping that they had one of the N'ZON Z's for me to look at. He said they don't really stock Daiwa stuff because the customer service is non-existent. This is not the first time I have heard this. He did elaborate but I won't go into that here but the tales were much like the tales I have heard before.

I picked up the Acolyte a few times and kept thinking to myself that it really is a nice rod and he could see me doing this as we chatted and as I put it back on the shelf I asked the price as I looked at the tag. That's when he "Godfathered" me and made me an offer I couldn't refuse. An offer lower than the price on the rod anyway. Lower than I have seen it. I looked at him, smiled and said...."you barstuard, what are you doing to me? You're trying to sell me a rod, ain't ya?" We both had a bit of a chuckle as did the lad behind shopping for hooks who was listening to this interaction. He knew he had me. "Go on then, fella, I can't leave it there at that price. Nicely done" I said.

So there we have it. I went in for some QM1's and a gander and the bugger sold me the Acolyte. I had no intention of buying that rod until he dropped the price on me. I would have really liked to get my hands on the Daiwa for a look but I'm happy with my purchase. The price was excellent and It looks and feels like a smashing rod and if it performs anything like my float rod Acolyte then I will be pleased as punch. Won't be able to test it until Friday, though.

Thanks for your input guys and queue the guy that comes into the thread to tell me that the N'ZON Z is the greatest feeder rod the world has ever seen and if only I had bought that one :LOL: It's bound to happen.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
There lies why drennan gear sells so well. They speculate to accumulate by producing enough to get them made cheaply and into most shops where they are seen and sold as given that as they are manufactured in bulk they are slightly cheaper than rods of their quality would normally be as they have more margin.

nejohn

Site Supporter
Enjoy the rod, I do however find the comments re Daiwa customer service as being bad very hard to take as every time I have had to deal with them they have been 1st class and I know many other people that have had similar experiences. It may depend on who your area rep is and I have not had any dealings with the one in south wales so can't comment but when I dealt with them in the north east and also direct with Daiwa they often went over and above what I would have expected

D

Deleted member 24128

Enjoy the rod, I do however find the comments re Daiwa customer service as being bad very hard to take as every time I have had to deal with them they have been 1st class and I know many other people that have had similar experiences. It may depend on who your area rep is and I have not had any dealings with the one in south wales so can't comment but when I dealt with them in the north east and also direct with Daiwa they often went over and above what I would have expected

I believe he was referring to the customer as being the retailer, John. As were the other tales I have heard. I have found Daiwa quality to be such that I have never needed their customer service, thankfully. Neither would these tails put me off buying more Daiwa. As a matter of fact, I won't by reels from anyone else I like them that much. Well, never say never but they have never let me down and I like the way the function and look. Anyway, just because I didn't buy and N'ZON this week, doesn't mean I won't next week;)

Reuben

Site Supporter
My advice would definitely be go and find somewhere that has both or at least get your hands on both, you will get loads of people saying get the acolyte because, a) it has been around for a while and is undoubtedly a good rod, b), because drennan kit is like a front door ie every tackle shop has one, so is easily accessible, c) the daiwa is a fairly new rod so it is not very likely that there are many out there given that it came out not long before lock down so supply would have been limited.
I wonder how many of the people recommending the drennan have actually seen never mind used the daiwa it could be that the daiwa is a better rod but they won't know that. It certainly has the potential to be a good rod, but I can't comment as like most other people making the recommendations I haven't seen one. Best advice is get out and have a look, others to maybe consider could be the Tri-cast excellence or better still the 4x4 ultra light, the sensas black arrow range (the 800 series are very good).
I fish the same waters as you and the 2 feeder rods I carry with me are a MAP 10ft bomb rod and a browning commercial king 11ft feeder rod mainly because I can carry them ready made up.
I commented on the Acolyte Plus because I use one. I don’t own nor have I seen the Diawa so I did’t comment on it nor do I know if it’s better or not. I don’t really see why you appear to have such an issue with Drennan gear.

D

Deleted member 24128

I commented on the Acolyte Plus because I use one. I don’t own nor have I seen the Diawa so I did’t comment on it nor do I know if it’s better or not. I don’t really see why you appear to have such an issue with Drennan gear.

To be fair Reuben, I didn't read it that way. I don't think John was trying to do anything other than provide some options and insight I may not have considered and I appreciate that.

nejohn

Site Supporter
Did I not say the drennan was 'undoubtedly a good rod'....? What I was saying was the op asked if anyone knew how both rods compared..... All of his answers were buy the drennan it is a good rod but non said why he should buy it over the daiwa as non of the people that advised to buy the drennan had probably even seen the daiwa.... I didn't say don't buy the drennan what I said was try to try them both before you make your own mind up.... I couldn't help as I have only seen and handled the drennan but never even seen the daiwa