Nuisance Fish

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve_goral

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Hey all,
Just got back from a pretty good day at Pockeridge Farm Lakes in Corsham. It was a nice sunny day with some decent roach and perch, sadly the carp seemed to be more interested in getting laid than getting caught. The only problem was the sheer number of tiny roach and rudd that kept nicking my bait before it got down to the bottom. Is there a good way to get rid of these? Baring in mind that boilies,nuts and groundbait are banned as are floating baits. I even tried massive lumps of meat but they got destroyed the moment they hit the water.

Steve_goral

Per Ardua Ad Astra
I tried that by feeding heavy with hemp corn and 4mm pellets. But this just seemed to make the problem worse. Might just be one of those things. I'm thinking of trying some big pellets banded to the hook next time. Just wish I'd thought of that in the tackle shop this morning :)

Simon R

Site Supporter
Originally posted by Steve_goral
I'm thinking of trying some big pellets banded to the hook next time.
That's what I'd go with - roach and rudd will still take an 8mm pellet but if they do at least they'll be sizable ones and worth catching.

Hair-rigging a couple of grains of corn could work too - especially if you use one real and one plastic (put the real grain nearest the hook)

Simon

Steve_goral

Per Ardua Ad Astra
I'll give that a go next time, when it comes to fishing with pellets what's the best way to do it? I've never fished with them before. Well I've used those Jellet but they seem to get smashed by the little buggers too. When float fishing is it still best to hair rig them? What kind of pellets work best?

greentura

Greenie
fish lob worm or corn[:T] if you must use pellets go for 8mm hair rigged and feed with a PVA stick mix of 2mm or crushed pellets hung off the hook and loose feed over the top with 2mm's to keep the small stuff up in the water. fish over-depth about 2-4" with a bulk of the shot about a foot from the hook and a dropper just off the bottom[:T] don't strike 'till you get a sail away or a good lift bite[:T]

Koppat

If you were fishin on the float, you may not have had your shotting pattern right to get your bait down fast enough to get it through the smaller fish... try using sweetcorn (or another heavy bait)and put enough shot on your hooklength to make it sink through the water fast enough to avoid the smaller fish.

Steve_goral

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Cheers for the tips, I'll give them a go next time I get fishing. Hopefully shouldn't be too long off.

Steve_goral

Per Ardua Ad Astra
I reckon I'm going to have to down that road I think, any good rigs? Or are they just your normal float set up?

pauln

Dreadexit
Site Supporter
Hair rigged hard pellet 8mm or 10mm would be my way [:)]

Steve_goral

Per Ardua Ad Astra
sounds good - found some pre drilled pellets on the net might buy those and try and get them on the hair.

waglerbg

Originally posted by Steve_goral

sounds good - found some pre drilled pellets on the net might buy those and try and get them on the hair.
They worked for me on a nearly identical occasions . Tiny rudd 5-10cm when targeting crucians
018650028.jpg
I used two 6mm on hair, white chocolate and pineapple.
[:W]

petert

I would try Hemp,Tares or even the good old fashioned bait WHEAT.

dstev

Dave
Originally posted by petert

I would try Hemp,Tares or even the good old fashioned bait WHEAT.

Surely that's what smaller fish are most likely to take on the drop?

Steve_goral

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Plenty of good advise. Can't wait to get out and use these tips. Roll on the tenth

Status
Not open for further replies.