NTFS or FAT file systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

explicit69

i just bought a new com a month ago, im not having any probs...but i got a question.
ive ran all windows except NT and 2000. i have windows XP (80 gig HD,512 ram and a 1.6 pentuim 4 processor).... this thing can run programs under the windows 3.X (3.0,3.1 etc.)and the latter,
it has a NTSF file system my others were either fat or fat32 which one is best?
ive been to WWW.pcpitstop.com and they say i have a unusually low uncached speed (1.4 megs), it says somthing about NTSF having that problem, but like i said i dont have a prob my bandwith is rated 3 mb/sec download and 600kb up :(
if anyone can tell anything about this that would be love.
im not a com newbie... and ive read up on this...the only way to go to fat or fat32 is reinstalling my O.S. losing my sanity in ohio. help.gif

thanx,
wayne

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Wayne,
I'd have to say that Newt's got to be your man for this thinking.gif

Peter. thumbsup.gif
Happiness is a rod in your hand.

explicit69

he has gave me quite a few good pointers.
i was linked here through yahoo when i was lookin for diffences in internet security progs.
now im hooked,
good people here and good answers,

cheers to ya again Newt: beer-toast1.gif

wayne

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
I do NTFS myself. More security available and more options for examining and diagnosing issues. There are a couple areas where it runs a bit slower than FAT32 though.

However, I come from a large network background and most of the security concerns are from there.

OTOH, with a broadband connection, you are essentially on a large network - just like a big company would have. Problem is, some ISPs are a bit lacking in network security expertise. They know their internet and can keep their servers serving but many just don't have the security knowledge.

Another consideration - there is a good program for converting a drive from FAT32 to NTFS. Quick and painless. However, AFAIK there ain't no way to go the other direction without a re-format/reload of everything.

I would strongly urge any on here who enjoy tinkering with PCs or who have lots of questions to sign up on http://www.windowsbbs.com/ . A very active and helpful BBS dealing with Microsoft systems and a variety of programs.

Explicit69 - you can go there and search the archives for more information and opinions on your question. Just using NTFS FAT32 as your search terms should bring up some good information.

Also take a look at http://www.sysinternals.com if you want some great utilities. Most are NTFS though. They do have some for 9x/ME and FAT32 but not as many. Some free ones and some you gotta pay for.

Newt Vail

Edited by - Newt on 15 March 2002 03:57:35 AM

Status
Not open for further replies.