Novice question!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thom

Ok guys this is normally one of those things i don't have a problem with.

There's a guy at my local fishery who always seems to latch into atleast 1 double no matter when he fishes the lakes.

I havent even hooked into one in the past 3 years at this venue.

i've sat and spoken to him for good lengths of time but i dont know what he is doing different to me. all i get is those bloody <1lb carp.

so any advice on how to target these bigger fish on the pole but still catch the littler fish?

Oh, he normally fishes 6mm ringers pellet as i do myself and doesnt fish very far out, normally 4metres-6metres from the margin.

So, yeah, any advice?[:D]

ashtheangler

Team tackletek
LMFAO! - but seriously, i would think of using a bait just as big if not bigger, but give it your own personal little edge to it, feed a bit more also. flavour it with something others are not using and you never know

me

listen to what the other blokes told you and don't think you know better [:p]

Hatman

Drawbag ace
A serious answer, it could be your feed rate. Larger carp tend to bully smaller fish out of the way, but are the smaller fish leaving little for the larger carp to want? Increasing feed can cause the smaller fish to back off because they are full, feeding them off' its called.

But don't take advice from me, I've managed to not catch a shedload of what i guess are mirror carp crossed with goldfish today, wierd looking things and they fought like drugged bream!

darrengeorge

speci-ish
Well if you're certain you arent doing anything that different, its down to either swim, or plain old luck!

I wouldnt really say its a novice question - catching big fish!

If you still want to catch small fish, but want to get big fish aswell (aka have your cake and eat it) you just have to play the numbers game - catch as many fish as you can and hope that the bigger fish are among them. (luck)

All said and done, Im not much of a commercial angler so Im probably well wrong

Thom

the thing is guys me and steve attack the venue in the same way except i suppose my approach is slightly more... match based. i get fish in quick and feed as if im fishing a match whereas he has a more laid back way of things. im not sure feeding more would help as it can kill a swim easily at this venue (low numbers of fish) but i have noticed he feeds what he hooks. whereas i often feed a slightly different bait, however having tried it his way i havent had much luck.

i might try the numbers game as it was put and just go for as many as i can fishing pellet.

i have a feeling meat on the feeder could produce some better fish also.

sladey

If you catch more than him theres no need to catc a big one, sometimes it just down too luck, My dad is a perfect example, sometimes he'll only have one barbel in a match, but its always 10lb+, work that out,he does nothing differnat but its 5lb biggeer than everyone elses, just pure luck at times.

badpegpicker

Proud to be a.....
Metal,
Have you thought about using a different bait?

Sometimes, a bigger bait will get the bigger fish.
Ive been using paste alot more recently, and while I dont really see the number of fish I catch increasing much, I have found that they are averaging much bigger in size.

Im no pro on the stuff, infact, I used to avoid it like the plague, but its definately picked out the "bonus" fish Ive needed to increase my weights.

might be worth a try.......

Mind you, if you d have come to Larford on saturday, you might have found out yourself!!

Haha...had to have a little dig somewhere.

Thom

lol dont worry bp, ill come to the indivs next time, aslong as it's slightly more northern and i can fish a pole to frame [:p]

back on topic, i often fish paste but in reality the only time it works better is when the lake is under heavy pressure from a match.

badpegpicker

Proud to be a.....
Originally posted by darrengeorge

Could it be due to him causing less disturbance?

Oh, you mean all that flicking his hair back in a "model stylie"??[:D]
It must cast a shadow across half the lake!![:0] lol

Seriously,

Thats what I used Metal, pole at 8 mtr.
Its well worth the trip down there.

chappy2004

what hook size are you using? If youre using the same sized bait, but on a smaller hook, maybe youre missing the bites whereas hes bringing them in

Thom

LOL @ BP [:D]

chappy i normally fish a b911 in sizes 18 or 16 (i think). i honestly dont know what he does so differently to catch these fish... he's the only one that seems to do it as well... i think i'm going to spend saturday figuring this one out as im sick of catching babies!

ianthefish2000

Hi Metalforever,
I do not want to sound horrible here. I used to have this problem some years back whilst fishing a park pool in Birmingham, This guy used to come down and were ever he fished he caught bigger and better quality fish than everyone else. One night i got talking to him about how he fished and what he caught, he was very helpful about this, but the main thing that i remember to this day was just one word DEDICATION, But what did he mean i had been fishing the pool every day for weeks and weeks.
Dedication is not just about fishing yourself, but about learning to adapt to the conditions, Bait selection, watercraft and all the things that you learn throughout years of experience. Now youngsters look up to me the same way, that i used to look up at that guy and i say exactly the same to them, that he said to me all those years back (only now i understand what he ment).
Anyone can go out and enjoy a days fishing themselves, but not many anglers can make a days fishing enjoyable to those watching them fish.

This is not ment to put you down, but in years to come you will realize what i mean.
Ian

strat2

lol 24mm bolie lmao lol ull hook summit and itbound to be big u just gotta wait a while :p lmao

hair cut thats good

Thom

Originally posted by strat2

lol 24mm bolie lmao lol ull hook summit and itbound to be big u just gotta wait a while :p lmao

hair cut thats good

Boilies are banned, haircuts coming soon.

Ian i know what you mean. it still hard to understand why thi is happening however. the only difference is the placement of his shot and his actual tackle!

I've been messing around with my shot lately normally having a bulk at half depth and two droppers which helps a bit but i do get more tangles...

steve just fishes a simple bulk, which i had done for years.

i reckon its one of those magic bait additives [:p]

missabite

Try two 6 mill pellets on the hook and fish it just past or to the side of where you are feeding.

Last edited:

Mr Snoek

Don't cut yer hair. It's a good place to hide secret bait in when you've cracked it.
I know exactly how you feel. I fished with a mate who caught a 10lb barbel at Harvington when all I got was a few 2lb chub. It won the match. He caught a 7lb barbel at Morton-on-Swale, I caught a 1lb Brown trout on luncheon meat. In Ireland he was whipping out 6lb Bream whilst all I could get were hybrids. Then at Pershore he got a brace of 4lb chub and I had over 100 fish but he still beat me, and again won the match. Once we went for a pint at Bardney on the Witham when a storm blew up, and he'd left his line in and when we got back he had a 3lb bream on - and won the match by a couple of ounces. It's how it goes but it's sickening.
Don't be frightened of using 12's and 10's for carp. You might also find the bigger carp come closer to the bank as they cruise round and round the lake, so perhaps fish right in the edge and sit a bit back.

Status
Not open for further replies.