nottingham canal (london road area)

crocky

hi all , anyone fished nottingham canal (london road area) go by it regular and never see anybody there , any advise ,float types ,baits depths etc etc please

rudd

Site Supporter
hi all , anyone fished nottingham canal (london road area) go by it regular and never see anybody there , any advise ,float types ,baits depths etc etc please
That because they are all in hooters! ?
Will be driving past there twice on Saturday - not stopping either, unless lights are red!

Jonathan Sutcliffe-Bland

Site Supporter
Not fished it in years. I got bricked last time but stood my ground and stayed. I had 20lb+ of hemp fish at 4m. Some good Chub or used to be. Rivers good too where canal meets river.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Not fished it in years. I got bricked last time but stood my ground and stayed. I had 20lb+ of hemp fish at 4m. Some good Chub or used to be. Rivers good too where canal meets river.
I've not fished it for years and would be reluctant to do so today, it's just not safe unless there's a few of you. A mate of mine had an altercation with a group of 'youngsters' there and he ended up shoving a bankstick into one of their legs. They went straight to the police and my mate was very lucky to escape prosecution.

Barbelcatcher

Site Supporter
Suggest that you phone Tim, of Matchmen Supplies - he will give you the info on it, and the agro factor if it is worth fishing. One of the better free winter spots on hemp, was the Derwent as it flowed into the Trent from Attenborough Pits - Hempy who used to be on here - and his mate took me to it. For a little stream, it was impressive what you could catch. When the trent is backed up there is hardly any flow.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Is that round The Meadows?
Wouldn't fish round there for a big clock. When I was working in insurance, I had to accompany a new lad on the round. All the kids were convinced we were CID because we were wearing suits. This was 30 years ago.
@tipitinmick .......the "new lad" was Terry Moroz. :)

Barbelcatcher

Site Supporter
I regularly go to Johnson Auctions and also West Bridgford, have seen people fishing along London Road and in the Basin.

Dave Spence

Site Supporter
Suggest that you phone Tim, of Matchmen Supplies - he will give you the info on it, and the agro factor if it is worth fishing. One of the better free winter spots on hemp, was the Derwent as it flowed into the Trent from Attenborough Pits - Hempy who used to be on here - and his mate took me to it. For a little stream, it was impressive what you could catch. When the trent is backed up there is hardly any flow.
Are you sure that is the Derwent mate, I always thought it was the Erewash.

Jonathan Sutcliffe-Bland

Site Supporter
Wouldn't fish round there for a big clock. When I was working in insurance, I had to accompany a new lad on the round. All the kids were convinced we were CID because we were wearing suits. This was 30 years ago.
I used to fish the Embankment 30 years ago and my brother had student accommodation in the meadows. The boy did well and moved to Burton Joyce ? Now in Barrow upon Soar ?

Jonathan Sutcliffe-Bland

Site Supporter
I regularly go to Johnson Auctions and also West Bridgford, have seen people fishing along London Road and in the Basin.
I used to love the Grantham canal at West Bridgeford. Near a phone box. Jan Porter used to fish the Tuesday evening matches there. I used to fish during the day for Tench and Bream

Jonathan Sutcliffe-Bland

Site Supporter
Used to be a good tackle shop there near a bus garage

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Fished it in winter league matches years ago. More often than not I’d get pegged behind a bus stop with three or four owd lasses in it. What ya supposed to do when ya want a p!55 ? P!55 down a pole section that’s what. ???

Dave Spence

Site Supporter
Fished it in winter league matches years ago. More often than not I’d get pegged behind a bus stop with three or four owd lasses in it. What ya supposed to do when ya want a p!55 ? P!55 down a pole section that’s what. ???
I tried that but it made my laccy sticky☺

ravey

I used to fish a local winter league on there. Fishes very differently once you get a line of anglers on it, but can be good, especially pleasure fishing. Haven’t been for years. Chub are non existent now, I gather, but plenty of roach, skimmers etc. As already mentioned, hemp can be productive in the warmer months. I think the biggest issue is parking, as the council has dispensed with all the free local parking. It might be available at Hooters or the Trent Navigation pub on Cattle Market Road (where it was possible to park for free on a Sunday in days gone by).

IanG1

Site Supporter
I used to walk the stretch during my lunch hour when I worked near the train station. Used to be a few of our European friends fish the bay at the back of the hotel for their evening meal. Never saw another sole fishing match style tactics along the whole length in all the times I walked down. Some undesirable souls about and best with a few of you if your considering a session.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I used to walk the stretch during my lunch hour when I worked near the train station. Used to be a few of our European friends fish the bay at the back of the hotel for their evening meal. Never saw another sole fishing match style tactics along the whole length in all the times I walked down. Some undesirable souls about and best with a few of you if your considering a session.
A couple of posts like yours Ian. How things have changed. Doesn’t sound a good idea to fish there on your own now. ?

IanG1

Site Supporter
No Mick unfortunately. Although next to a busy road you are a little secluded as the canal sits lower. This area of town also seems to attract the undesirable types. The embankment though only a stone's throw away is a little more public so I've never had a problem fishing their. I definitely wouldn't fish the canal alone.