Nottingham Anglers - Beeston Canal

rd115

Barbus Minimus
Site Supporter
Anyone have this ticket and fished Beeston canal?

Probably getting a bit cold for it now but was hoping to chuck some lures and wondering if many Pike in here?

Reuben

Site Supporter
Account Locked
It used to be on the Nottingham Anglers ticket, I think. Never fished it though.

Jonathan Sutcliffe-Bland

Site Supporter
Best bet is the peg below the toll bridge on the Embankment.

Very deep so fish it on the straight lead with dead baits.

I'd even groundbait, it works on my local canal.
Fishmeal groundbait, tuna, halibut pellets, red aggressor, one or two chopped fish, and fish sauce. Tight balls thrown in the night before.

Good area for both Perch and Pike 👍🏻

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Best bet is the peg below the toll bridge on the Embankment.

Very deep so fish it on the straight lead with dead baits.

I'd even groundbait, it works on my local canal.
Fishmeal groundbait, tuna, halibut pellets, red aggressor, one or two chopped fish, and fish sauce. Tight balls thrown in the night before.

Good area for both Perch and Pike 👍🏻
We used to swim in that stretch 😱. On the other side (Wilford) there is iremongers pond that used to be on the NAA book. Some huge perch in there; or there was.

Jonathan Sutcliffe-Bland

Site Supporter
We used to swim in that stretch 😱. On the other side (Wilford) there is iremongers pond that used to be on the NAA book. Some huge perch in there; or there was.
Not fished ironmongers for almost 20 years and only that once. Was full of rats that weren't at all scared of me. Packed in and walked back over the bridge to the river.

Yuccaman

I like fishing.
Staff member
Site Supporter
I fished it a few times for pike when I was a Notts AA member and never managed one, either on lure or deads. Doesn't mean they aren't there though. Are you a Notts member?

rd115

Barbus Minimus
Site Supporter
I fished it a few times for pike when I was a Notts AA member and never managed one, either on lure or deads. Doesn't mean they aren't there though. Are you a Notts member?

Not yet but considering it depending how much of their current season is left.

Pike fishing Pride waters seem to depend a lot on how high the Trent is which is a pain 😄 so looking at other tickets.

IanG1

Site Supporter
Not yet but considering it depending how much of their current season is left.

Pike fishing Pride waters seem to depend a lot on how high the Trent is which is a pain 😄 so looking at other tickets.

All the Beeston/Nottingham canal is day ticket, I have fished it quite a bit (though not for pike etc) and never seen a bailiff.

Trent_Fisher

Site Supporter
I think Iremongers is under new ownership last I heard. Always had a reputation for being a bit of a scary place to fish.

Cant for the life of me remember where I heard it or when but I’m sure someone had took it over and was putting fencing around it to make it more secure? Who knows.

Dave Spence

Site Supporter
I think Iremongers is under new ownership last I heard. Always had a reputation for being a bit of a scary place to fish.

Cant for the life of me remember where I heard it or when but I’m sure someone had took it over and was putting fencing around it to make it more secure? Who knows.
It was a scary place, I had a very frightening encounter when I was about 12 and was fishing there on my own.

rd115

Barbus Minimus
Site Supporter
That’s the place I was thinking of. Not sure I could ever bring Myself to fish somewhere like that.

I think similar about Bestwood duck ponds, most likely perfectly safe, but it's got Bestwood in the name :unsure: Puts me off.

Dave Spence

Site Supporter
I think similar about Bestwood duck ponds, most likely perfectly safe, but it's got Bestwood in the name :unsure: Puts me off.
I ran a petrol station on Bestwood Park Drive in the mid 90's, you would not believe some of the people we met.

Yuccaman

I like fishing.
Staff member
Site Supporter
It's where I started teaching!!! I've fished Bestwood on and off for 20ish years and never had a problem, although not convinced I'd want to night it. When I first moved to Nottingham, I lived just up the road from Iremongers when NAA had it, but it was taken over more than a decade ago by a local wildlife group who have definitely given it a facelift. No idea if it is still the case, but there certainly used to be issues with cars being done over whilst people were fishing, but I've not been there other than very much in passing in about 20 years so I couldn't comment on the current state of things, other than it is still in the same place!

roachman 1960

there are a few pike and perch where the Lock is in beeston , though its been hammered by eastern euros ,because they eat them (POACHERS)