Note to oneself ?

62tucker

Site Supporter
I don’t need a 5 kg Turkey 3kg Gammon 3kg Beef joint to feed 6 next xmas day. More than half of the turkey left.
Maybe 3 kg Turkey. 2kg gammon 2 kg Beef. And still have leftovers

Have you learnt anything off yesterday activities?

Wise Owl

Account Locked
Yes mate now you mention it, we got a 3.5kg turkey Crown too big 2 - 2.5 will be ample next year, and thats the last time i get Iraqi christmas crackers i nearly blew me hat off :oops:

kevin o connor

M.O.G. member
Staff member
Site Supporter
Don't mind about your turkey,ham;lamb, beef etc ! Where can I get an extra size Christmas pudding ?

Swim Jim

Formerly: jjpendurocomp
Site Supporter
Stick to Turkey. Tried to be too clever cooking a 3kg silverside piece of beef to quite a tight time schedule. Things started to go pear shaped and with the addition of alcohol tempers flared. Today my only friend is the dog Merry Xmas :censored:

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Agree Sam, I invariablely have one slice to see if it's any better than last time then just load up on pigs in blankets and sausage meat stuffing as my meat options.

Dusty

Got a full casserole dish full of leftover Turkey, Beef and Pork as well as loads of stuffing and roasted veg.
I’ve had Turkey cobs for lunch and have to get another Christmas dinner down me when I get in off our gerts mum ?

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Turkey's banned in our house, neither of us can stand it. We settled on a piece of pork this year, and must say rather enjoyed it. I gave it an apple sauce glaze. :upthumb:

Chervil

Site Supporter
I haven't got a particularity sweet tooth, so we need to remember that people will buy us lots of chocolates. Plus the wife always gets given loads of goodies at work. So we most probably didn't need to but the 2 tins of celebrations, the stuff from Hotel Chocolat, oh and the impulse buy a 2 Kg tin of Quality Street. The place looks like a sweet shop.

On the meat side, we buy a Turkey crown for Christmas lunch, which is big enough for the 3 of us, with enough left over for today's lunch, with a small honey baked Gammon.

Dusty

I haven't got a particularity sweet tooth, so we need to remember that people will buy us lots of chocolates. Plus the wife always gets given loads of goodies at work. So we most probably didn't need to but the 2 tins of celebrations, the stuff from Hotel Chocolat, oh and the impulse buy a 2 Kg tin of Quality Street. The place looks like a sweet shop.

On the meat side, we buy a Turkey crown for Christmas lunch, which is big enough for the 3 of us, with enough left over for today's lunch, with a small honey baked Gammon.

I usually do a gammon but did beef instead this year, definitely wish I had gone for gammon again in hindsight.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
No idea why everyone pays top money for turkey before Xmas, they were 75% off in the shops today, got one ready for tomorrow’s tea (and a few curries after that).

Chervil

Site Supporter
I usually do a gammon but did beef instead this year, definitely wish I had gone for gammon again in hindsight.
Must admit, unless eating out, I tend to avoid Beef. For some reason, even with expensive cuts, which have been hung, I find it a bit hit and miss, that it may be as tough as old boot leather.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
Same lesson as every year, turkey is rubbish.
That's because the only bird should be goose.
And the fat makes perfect roasties for weeks.
My gammon is nearly gone, so doing the next one tomorrow.
If doing beef then you should have a decent thermometer to get that perfect joint. 15773735813436060340737679085053.jpg

BTMS

Site Supporter
Her indoors and I had Christmas dinner to out self's this year so we thought instead of buying big joints (meat type:)) we would but loads of small stuff and graze throughout the day. Perfection. Started with prawn starters, then duck Chinese, then a small silverside with her small Yorkshire with onion gravy thinly sliced beef:love::jump: small roasties in goose fat followed by Christmas pud ala flame brandy remy, then some cheese and bickies then collapsed, No waste apart from around the middle but heaven …...

Swim Jim

Formerly: jjpendurocomp
Site Supporter
Must admit, unless eating out, I tend to avoid Beef. For some reason, even with expensive cuts, which have been hung, I find it a bit hit and miss, that it may be as tough as old boot leather.
That’s exactly what caused the trouble yesterday. Paid £35 for a silverside beef joint from Costco. Family wanted it well done. So I used the wireless weber bbq thermometer it has an app on my phone were it tells you the internal temp of the meat. Followed cooking instructions to a tee. Plan was cook it to 65-68deg C leave it to rest and serve when internal temp gets to 72-75deg
It was like carving a space hopper!!

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
Cook to 60 serve at 66 to 68. Perfect.
Give the ends to those that want boot soles.