Not what I had planned but .......

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Yesterday I should have had my first ever session on a commie which had been meticulously planned - sadly that didn’t happen.

Today when I thought I wouldn’t be out on the water I was granted a sneaky 3hrs to wet a line between getting home from church and dinner at the mother-in-laws.

Hurriedly bunged all my kit into the car and hared round to Neville Park on the desperate hope there might be a bit of free space. Parked up, hauled the bags out of the boot and instantly realised my bag with the method groundbait and 2mm pellets was still sat outside my garage door wher in my haste I’d not picked them up :mad:

Never mind - I did have a couple of kilo bags of 6mm and 8mm Copdock Mills pellets plus a bottle of Sonubaits Scopex pellet oil I’d bought Friday from a local pet store so they’d have to do.

As I arrived at the bank three guys were packing away their carp gear, they’d been fishing from 7am until 2pm with 5 rods out between them and not had a single bite so were heading home. I asked what they’d been using and it was 16mm & 20mm pop ups on size 6 & 2 hooks o_O

Quickly set up a rod (DAM 10’ power waggler) with a 4g Drennan shorty pellet waggler & size 14 Super MWG to 12” n-gauge 0.17 hooklength tipped off with a banded 8mm all set to 3’6” deep which was bottom at 5 rod lengths out where I had noticed a single swirl. Spritzed some 8mm’s with the oil to make sure they sank and began pinging them out in threes & fours following with the float over the top.

Pretty much straight away I was getting indications but not bites so there were fish in the swim. Kept up the feed and casting for half an hour but still no bites just liners then a dog walker stopped for a chat and as we talked about the fate of the lake the rod jumped off the rest ! !

I grabbed it as it headed into the lake and connected with a very determined and fast fish. I managed to keep it away from the fallen trees and after a couple of minutes a lovely 5lb common was in the net.

21128A93-0595-4321-BC6A-46F168084E40.jpeg

So there were carp on my loose feed but solidly nailed to the deck it appeared. I recast a few times and left the float alone treating it like any other bottom fished waggler & I got a load of movement but not bites.

Change of tactics was called for - out came the feeder rod (Ron Thompson 12’ Panther) with a 30g inline cube bomb, Drennan quick change bead and a 14 QM1 to 6” n-gauge 0.19mm which was the longest hooklength I had on me tipped off with another banded 8mm pellet.

A gentle lob and it was into the waggler area along with a couple of pouchfuls of freebies - forgot to set a stopwatch but about 5 minutes after placing the butt on the rest the tip snatched around and I was in. These fish weren’t messing about and were homing in on the new snags - I wasn’t messing about either and got it away in short order. Fish number 2 slid over the lip of the net and I was well please with a slightly smaller common.

And so the pattern continued for another two carp before it went deathly quiet for a few casts - then it dawned on me I’d stopped feeding (DOH) so the catapult went into overdrive volleying regular half dozens of pellets into the swim and ten minutes later I was rewarded with another screaming bite resulting in a bigger fish signalling the game was back on.

I reluctantly tackled down after two and a half hours with the dinner alarm beeping but had accounted for 8 lovely hard fighting fish between 4lb and 8lb in total on the bank.

E996C28A-F414-410E-9AD9-9783195FEA9C.jpeg 373C19F6-8528-4201-BF27-327A772C94D7.jpeg 0CF23A51-77EA-4B6A-B53B-25B582C5ED25.jpeg 202005B4-BD0B-4B22-819E-460CD59C9825.jpeg C22E30C7-27D6-4076-85BE-81F68025939B.jpeg

Not the session I’d planned or intended last week but nevertheless a wonderful few hours on the bank.

Glad I did pack up as the roast beef dinner waiting for me at MiL’s was gorgeous.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Not that many years ago mate, a day like that would have been the highlight of the season.

I genuinely love this lake and it will break my heart when the local council remove all the fish later this year - it will be the tragic loss of what is a great water but could be an amazing one which is perfect for teaching young and old the basics of fishing