Not Tom's pond But Mushroom Farm and a PB!

MunchMyStump

Site Supporter
Up bright and early and off out on my own for the day as Lady Munch has been working the graveyard shift this weekend. Apparently I need the practice...
So off to Tom's pond in Otley, a half hour drive and, It's shut! There was a sign in the car park saying "Both ponds closed on Sunday". Ahh s:poop:

Right, where too?? I considered None go bye farm, but given the blowy conditions and it being on top of Otley Chevin it was probably going to be hard work. Sod it, Mushroom Farm.
So with the fuel guage glowing red I set off back the way I came through to Pool in Wharfedale for a quick fuel stop en route only to find it was closed. Really? Ok, the filling station back in Otley, closed... and the one on Leeds road closed also. Well ok I have no choice but to head on and see what happens... Finally I arrived in South Milford and the petrol station was open! Hurrah!! But at £1.16.9 per litre I wasn't filling up, just a splash to get me home to more sensible prices...

There were already a few fishing when I eventually arrived but I spotted a peg with the wind to my back and drove down the bank. Halfway down the ground was just mud, the car was sliding and fighting for grip, mud everywhere! Great! As if the day couldn't get any worse I could now end up marooned trying to get back out.

The swim I had spotted from the entrance was free but there was a chap fishing the roadside straight out in front at a right angle so we would be essentially fishing the same swim, he also had a radio playing some sheite so I bagged the peg lower down and hoped the wind would carry the noise away.

13' waggler set up, plumbed and all set. Finally after all the :poop: I have been through just getting here I can now finally fish. A good dollop of hemp over a 4' section, maggots and a few grains of sweetcorn over the float and I'm fishing. Thank Christ for that!

Within minutes I'm onto Roach and Skimmers then the float slides away and there was a thump...
IMG-20201025-WA0004.jpg

That made up for the mornings irritations!
On we go, a few more skimmers and a couple of nice bream followed by a PB. I have never fished for Carp, I fish for fish no matter what they are I am happy but then this beauty took me on a great old fight.
IMG-20201025-WA0006.jpg

A solid double figure Mirror. The fishing gods were obviously feeling for me given the morning tribulations. A new PB and a very fine looking fish. Happy days indeed!!

I continued catching silvers pretty much all day with the odd nice bream and just as I was thinking of calling it a day the float shot straight up and another Carp was making a bid for freedom.
IMG-20201025-WA0005.jpg

That was me done. A fantastic day, a new PB and there were no cries of help me every 2 minutes @Mrs Munch

Munchy

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Up bright and early and off out on my own for the day as Lady Munch has been working the graveyard shift this weekend. Apparently I need the practice...
So off to Tom's pond in Otley, a half hour drive and, It's shut! There was a sign in the car park saying "Both ponds closed on Sunday". Ahh s:poop:

Right, where too?? I considered None go bye farm, but given the blowy conditions and it being on top of Otley Chevin it was probably going to be hard work. Sod it, Mushroom Farm.
So with the fuel guage glowing red I set off back the way I came through to Pool in Wharfedale for a quick fuel stop en route only to find it was closed. Really? Ok, the filling station back in Otley, closed... and the one on Leeds road closed also. Well ok I have no choice but to head on and see what happens... Finally I arrived in South Milford and the petrol station was open! Hurrah!! But at £1.16.9 per litre I wasn't filling up, just a splash to get me home to more sensible prices...

There were already a few fishing when I eventually arrived but I spotted a peg with the wind to my back and drove down the bank. Halfway down the ground was just mud, the car was sliding and fighting for grip, mud everywhere! Great! As if the day couldn't get any worse I could now end up marooned trying to get back out.

The swim I had spotted from the entrance was free but there was a chap fishing the roadside straight out in front at a right angle so we would be essentially fishing the same swim, he also had a radio playing some sheite so I bagged the peg lower down and hoped the wind would carry the noise away.

13' waggler set up, plumbed and all set. Finally after all the :poop: I have been through just getting here I can now finally fish. A good dollop of hemp over a 4' section, maggots and a few grains of sweetcorn over the float and I'm fishing. Thank Christ for that!

Within minutes I'm onto Roach and Skimmers then the float slides away and there was a thump...
IMG-20201025-WA0004.jpg

That made up for the mornings irritations!
On we go, a few more skimmers and a couple of nice bream followed by a PB. I have never fished for Carp, I fish for fish no matter what they are I am happy but then this beauty took me on a great old fight.
IMG-20201025-WA0006.jpg

A solid double figure Mirror. The fishing gods were obviously feeling for me given the morning tribulations. A new PB and a very fine looking fish. Happy days indeed!!

I continued catching silvers pretty much all day with the odd nice bream and just as I was thinking of calling it a day the float shot straight up and another Carp was making a bid for freedom.
IMG-20201025-WA0005.jpg

That was me done. A fantastic day, a new PB and there were no cries of help me every 2 minutes @Mrs Munch

Munchy
After all the smelly stuff thats a great days fishing and interesting well written report ,well done

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Great report - lesser mortals would have bailed out and gone home for a brew but your perseverance in the face of petrol adversity paid off in style :)

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
That's grange farm . Mushroom farm ponds is actually a nice little fishery.
Yep I know that but, the huts at the side were where he used to grow mushrooms hence why a lot of the locals refer to the fishery ( grange ) as the mushroom farm pond. I thought that’s where he meant.

Total

Site Supporter
Yep I know that but, the huts at the side were where he used to grow mushrooms hence why a lot of the locals refer to the fishery ( grange ) as the mushroom farm pond. I thought that’s where he meant.

You're beginning to read/sound like our Sly! :whistle:>>>>>;):giggle:

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
Mr Munch,

How much did you pay the guys at Tropical World for those? ?
True, either the net is very deep, ( the mesh does look like fish tank style mesh as well)
Or... he has taken the photos from a great height.
When Mr Munch put double figures did he mean 2.8 oz ?