Not guilty

Yorkieboy70

Site Supporter
Agree, correct decision. Sure some will want someone to blame but think it's time to let this lie. Was a culmination of events which resulted in this tragedy but dont think you can point the blame at any individual. RIP the 96.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
It will never end though will it as some won't ever accept the verdict.
Duckenfield has had to live with that day every day since it happened and although his pain cannot ever be the same as those that lost loved ones, he will still have lived his own pain.

A sad day in history but I am glad he was not the scapegoat for a chain of events of which many played a part.

Wise Owl

Account Locked
I have said it before and not afraid to say it again, if there was any thats any in either one or 101 fans were there without a ticket they in some way contributed to that day.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
'How can 96 people be unlawfully killed but no-one be responsible?': Anger as Hillsborough match commander David Duckenfield is CLEARED of manslaughter over the deaths of 95 Liverpool fans in 1989" is the question being asked by relatives.....

JohnLondon

Site Supporter
Unfortunately, I don’t think the families will let it rest & won’t be happy until somebody is found guilty & punished for it. It was a tragedy what happened but it’s been 30yrs & it’s time to let go. As @Wise Owl has said, nobody went to work that day to kill anybody

John Step

Site Supporter
I think the whole system needs looking at. I dont follow football so I am not exact about the figures but I seem to have read that players get paid several thousand ponds a week. Clubs pay millions for transfers. They charge fans quite a lot for entrance fees and they pick up mega money from TV stations.

With all this cash sloshing around why do the police who are paid for from the rates have to be responsible for who does what at a football match.
Traffic outside I can see but inside this big business venture should be solely the clubs responsibility.

They have the finance to specifically train people for the task and not rely on some happless individual who has not been trained as such.
Apart from sport what other type of big money making concerns uses the resources paid for by rate payers.

Chervil

Site Supporter
'How can 96 people be unlawfully killed but no-one be responsible?': Anger as Hillsborough match commander David Duckenfield is CLEARED of manslaughter over the deaths of 95 Liverpool fans in 1989" is the question being asked by relatives.....

Not sure if Inquest Juries work on "Balance of probabilities" to reach a verdict, so if the balance is 51% one way or the other, that is all that is needed. Whereas criminal trials work on "Beyond reasonable doubt". So you could get a civil case and a criminal case hearing the same evidence, but reaching different verdicts. Which is why you can get someone being found not guilty in a criminal case, still getting sued, and losing, in a civil court.

nejohn

Site Supporter
I think the whole system needs looking at. I dont follow football so I am not exact about the figures but I seem to have read that players get paid several thousand ponds a week. Clubs pay millions for transfers. They charge fans quite a lot for entrance fees and they pick up mega money from TV stations.

With all this cash sloshing around why do the police who are paid for from the rates have to be responsible for who does what at a football match.
Traffic outside I can see but inside this big business venture should be solely the clubs responsibility.

They have the finance to specifically train people for the task and not rely on some happless individual who has not been trained as such.
Apart from sport what other type of big money making concerns uses the resources paid for by rate payers.
I think you will find that the club's are charged by the police for their services. When I looked at my club's account sheet a few years ago ( not because i am a club official, they just made the accounts public) Northumbria police force got quite a sizable amount from Newcastle united

JohnLondon

Site Supporter

It was a very different era & most fans back then were standing on the terraces. Football stadiums now are all seating so this kind of situation could not happen now. Clubs do have their own stewards inside the ground & they do contribute towards the cost of policing

Chervil

Site Supporter

Unless it has changed, the club pays for policing inside the ground. As far as I remember the police did have a court case, where they tried to get the clubs to pay for the increased police presence needed in the vicinity, but this was thrown out. I worked on a borough that had Chelsea, QPR and Fulham on it, so policing football was a huge part of my week.

lp1886

Site Supporter
I think you will find that the club's are charged by the police for their services. When I looked at my club's account sheet a few years ago ( not because i am a club official, they just made the accounts public) Northumbria police force got quite a sizable amount from Newcastle united

The police love a bit of aggro. That means next match they can justify more officers, so their pals can get paid a bit of weekend overtime as well ?

Chervil

Site Supporter
The police love a bit of aggro. That means next match they can justify more officers, so their pals can get paid a bit of weekend overtime as well ?
Not much overtime around for football, just cancelled rest days, that you can't get back, or officers, who should be policing their own boroughs, put on aid for football. This in turn means that the boroughs they come from aren't getting policed.

John Step

Site Supporter
Chervil, thats exactly what I mean. The club may well pay for inside the ground but they are still using officers that have been trained and uniformed at public expense.