Nostalgia

DOGDACE

Who remembers winfield tackle from Woolworths. My first float rod was a 12 foot black model, bought in the 70’s ?

brian carragher

Site Supporter
Was a big part of my tackle gowing up as a kid, rumour was the rods were rebadged Shakespeare goods

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Yup.... I had a few of their rods and reels in my yoof

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I converted my solid fibreglass rod butt section into a throwing stick, adding a cut off tube on the ferrule to load with bait - it was awesome and deadly accurate

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
I saw a Winfield fibreglass rod for sale on a stall at a motorbike show in Stafford last year. It was like new complete with bag ,only wanted £10 for it, I was tempted but didnt bother, Regret it now.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I remember the line used to eventually wear a groove in the bale arm of the reels :)

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Will members stop posting things that remind me I'm getting old ? ??. Yep, I had a solid 6' rod from Woolworths. A sort of aqua type colour. My dad out a threaded end eye on it so I could use it for swing tipping as well. Oh the good owd days.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I remember the line used to eventually wear a groove in the bale arm of the reels :)

You mean this stuff?...and have you noticed that the line didn't have a diameter on the spool?

1578170903935.png

Steven

Who remembers winfield tackle from Woolworths. My first float rod was a 12 foot black model, bought in the 70’s ?
I mainly used to buy line, floats, weights and hooks, from 'Woolies', in the late 60s, to fish the Wensum in Norwich. To begin with, didn't have a rod, so branches from the local undergrowth served that purpose and bait tended to be worms, from the bank side.

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
I only vaguely remember the Winfield fishing sets, I'm pretty sure my big brother warned me off them. in my heart I wanted a 13 Ft cane rod like my brother owned, but had to settle for the 6Ft Green fibreglass with plastic handle and a dark blue fixed spool reel, which I think was a Shakespeare. I remember drooling over the Black Prince reels, but it was way out of pocket money range. I have seen Black Prince reels for sale on Ebay one currently at £1.99 :) I did think of buying it and then thought again, what if I did and it turned out to be rubbish ? Better to think it was the best reel in the world.