Norton Personal Firewall

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlw

Hi everyone,
Dont know if this is going to be of any to help to anyone but I have just read the message from dave ref the viruses on msn.

So i decided to have a look on the Norton web site and you can have a free scan to check you pc for back doors and potential trojan horses accessing your pc.

As i searched the site I spotted an offer a free Norton Personnal Firewall to down load yes thats right.

FREE

Its a 3.0 version which is to me of no significance as i dont understand much about these things but I have heard Norton are the top providers of this kind of stuff, so I thought i would pass it on as some of you may need a personnal fire wall I myself have just downloaded it cos if it comes with the name Norton then it must have some qualities.

Anyway thats it really just some info for anyone who wants to check it out.

To get to the site type in your search engine Norton Personnal Firewall and a list of options will appear click on it and its quite straight forward from there.

Regards JLW hello.gif

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Jlw

I wouldn't bother cos the symantec fire wall ain't that good (norton)
I use the zone alarm one which is also free

Click here for the free firewall

& for an online free virus checker which is updated every hour click here

You do not have to register you can scan without registering

Alan
You've just been moderated

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Thanks jlw.

Trogg - gotta disagree on this one.

Zone Alarm is certainly a great product considering it is free. However, it has a few quirks and glitches I don't like very much.

I used the Norton firewall that ships with their internet suite until I got a router/switch for my home network and broadband connection (it has a great built-in firewall feature). I found it excellent.

For a stand-alone firewall that costs a little (not much but not free) you cannot IMO beat Black Ice. Much easier for a novice to set up than ZA and will allow more options.

The differences in ZA and Black Ice are very basic as they approach the whole firewall thing quite differently. Details would probably bore everyone on here to tears so I will spare you that.

I don't know about the Nortonfree version - just haven't looked and don't remember off hand what version I was running when I used it. I suspect is is fine though or they wouldn't have it out there. Probably lacking some bells and whistles but basically should do what is needed. Might even be good to run both it and ZA if you are going for free since between the pair, they should do anything that needs doing - firewall wise.

Newt Vail

jlw

Sorry everyone i made a mistake dont bother its just for a trial period uupppsss.

Im not that good on the pc really so i do apologise.

JLW

Status
Not open for further replies.