Northern Zander

Philocalist

Just curious, what is the most northerly venue in the UK where there is a reasonable expectation of catching zander, if you put the effort in?

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
Probably the Trent. I've heard the odd wild rumour of zander further north but never seen any evidence whatsoever. I've not even seen any dodgy evidence. However, much like catfish, as they are in the Trent, there's a chance of them getting into any of the rivers that drain into the Humber.

Flathead

Site Supporter
They are in the Trent and Mersey canal as far as Stoke....so they could be anywhere in the canal system.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Tyram hall farm is supposed to have some. Ive also heard that one or two have come out of the river Torne at Belton near Doncaster. Your best bet is the Trent I think. Probably A1 gravel pits. A Zander is on my bucket list also.

brian carragher

Site Supporter
Just curious, what is the most northerly venue in the UK where there is a reasonable expectation of catching zander, if you put the effort in?

Are you thinking of having a dabble, if so the Coventry Canal might be worth a dabble, zander can be caught from inside Coventry city centre and all along the entire coventry canal, some good spots either side of the M42 too

Rick123

Site Supporter

I agree with Sam there are big Zander in the Trent. Fish at night and fish light, small dead baits. A pike outfit will catch a few but a lighter out-fit will out fish it.. I cannot tell you any venues as all my mates that fish for predators we have a deal, and I don't disclose where they fish.

Philocalist

Thanks all, unfortunately, most of these venues are probably closer to London than they are to me. A curious thing, no, that they have never 'migrated' further north?

brian carragher

Site Supporter
Thanks all, unfortunately, most of these venues are probably closer to London than they are to me. A curious thing, no, that they have never 'migrated' further north?

Theres been rumours for years about the Tees holding zander and supposedly pics exist of same fish landed but thats as close to the truth as I've got, despite folk claiming to have caught them and hold pics on their phones they've never been able to show any, reason being I dont think there are any in there now or have ever been, for the amount of predator action the river sees there would have been real proof by now had they existed

The fish claimed to have been caught , I think, would have been small jacks with washed out colouration most likely by folk with very little experience of pike

Predatorplus

I'm a zander fisherman living in the Midlands there is a lot of electro fishing done on the outskirts of the Midlands Region especially trent and mersey canal canal and river trust want to try and contain them in the Midlands to try and stop wide spread colonisation although they kill them just encourage thousands of schoolie size fish they will never stop them and it costs a lot of money to do i can only say the biggest threat on most midlands canals to all fish stocks is crayfish at least predators eat these.

Philocalist

Theres been rumours for years about the Tees holding zander and supposedly pics exist of same fish landed but thats as close to the truth as I've got, despite folk claiming to have caught them and hold pics on their phones they've never been able to show any, reason being I dont think there are any in there now or have ever been, for the amount of predator action the river sees there would have been real proof by now had they existed

The fish claimed to have been caught , I think, would have been small jacks with washed out colouration most likely by folk with very little experience of pike
I've heard the same rumours Brian - wels catfish too, apparently, though TBH I'm more inclined to believe that, than about the zander. Think I'd be happy enough if there were just a few more decent pike to be caught locally :)

brian carragher

Site Supporter
Had two out last year both 22lb+ and the year before had a 25 and a 26 and the year before that 2 fish of 20lb+, so they're there but jeez they take some tracking down

Havent started yet this year but again the aim when I do will be to catch a 20lb+ fish

Heard about the Wels rumours but really dont pay much heed to it, a deep cold river like the Tees wouldnt be an ideal habitat for a wels even given the massive stocks that it could potentially feed on

genesis

Account Locked
Mate of mine has had one from the Leeds-Liverpool at Bingley below five rise locks. Showed me the picture on his phone. Only about 3lb but still a zander. Not heard of anyone else catching one up here. But where there's one..........

Jonathan Sutcliffe-Bland

Site Supporter
Mate of mine has had one from the Leeds-Liverpool at Bingley below five rise locks. Showed me the picture on his phone. Only about 3lb but still a zander. Not heard of anyone else catching one up here. But where there's one..........
You kept that quiet. Did you see the 7lb eel below the three? Now deceased ?

genesis

Account Locked
You kept that quiet. Did you see the 7lb eel below the three? Now deceased ?
Sorry mate I didn't as I don't fish the cuts at all. Seen the monster carp above the locks though. Back on the zander, my mate said there has been one caught recently near the bridge at the Fishermans pub. I think he is jigging on there today and tomorrow as there are no club matches.

Jonathan Sutcliffe-Bland

Site Supporter
Sorry mate I didn't as I don't fish the cuts at all. Seen the monster carp above the locks though. Back on the zander, my mate said there has been one caught recently near the bridge at the Fishermans pub. I think he is jigging on there today and tomorrow as there are no club matches.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1578240202393.jpg
    FB_IMG_1578240202393.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 13
  • FB_IMG_1567706951629.jpg
    FB_IMG_1567706951629.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20190905_184001.jpg
    IMG_20190905_184001.jpg
    684.9 KB · Views: 13

Jonathan Sutcliffe-Bland

Site Supporter
The d##k head lad threw it in at height on video and posted it on Bingley angling club Facebook page. Same lad had 26lb Pike out behind Magnet. Posted it on Keighley Facebook page and every man and his dog turned up to fish.