Northamptonshire for crucians/tench

kernowbob

Hi all

Just joined the forum, thanks for having me.

I am relocating to Northamptonshire in the next few weeks. Been a coarse fisherman for a good 30 years, always preferred old fashioned fishing, definitely not into Carp fishing and the buzzers.

Can anyone recommend some fisheries to try or clubs to join where I can fish for Crucians, Tench and nice silvers without being pestered by carp so much? I love to waggler fish for these fish, light match rod etc and enjoy the fishing this way without the "match carp" spoiling the fun.

When I lived in Cornwall there was a cracking little fishery in north Devon that had a lake stocked with huge Crucians, some tench, bream and big rudd, and thankfully just a handful of commons and mirrors which to me was a good balance.

Anything in the Northamptonshire area would be very welcomed. Thanks

davej1981

No idea now but corby lake used to be good for cruscians. Used to fish it on the ian heaps school of angling in the mid 90s and would catch quite a few pole fishing bread. However that was a long time ago and im not local. Sure someone here will have some up to date info

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
Welcome to Maggotdrowners ... can you say where in Northants you’re relocating to?

Judging by your stated preference, you’re looking for realtively small lakes?

kernowbob

Kettering (unfortunately!!). But I am moving for personal reasons. I currently live in the Netherlands where you can almost fish from your front door, but hey-ho such is life. Also starting my own business too.

I know the area well from my childhood in the 80s fishing the river Ise for the big roach, but moved away to Cornwall, Canada and then Holland!

I've always enjoy crabtree fishing. Lilypads, summer weather, waiting for the float to slide away and hooking into a Tench! But, anything summer fish related such as Crucians and Rudd really give me a buzz.

But, I do enjoy any quality silver fishing, just don't care for the big Carp fad that has taken over in the last 20 years or so. Must be quiet and peaceful, to me that's what it is all about.

Wicksteed park used to have good Tench back in the day, but I believe their memberships are limited and quickly filled up. I read another place near Thrapston, called Ryson lake or something like that. Good Tench fishing, but is it good for waggler fishing?

Can't want to get over there and get out there!

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
Chris @Northantslad is the man for Rysons Lake, I am sure when he picks this up, he will give you all the gen. (y)

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Several waters locally and also a good few others who i am sure can help too.

Waggler wise (or pole) on Rysons, imo is the left bank as you walk in, has a more favorable depth for fishing that way- pegs in the early to mid 20s. (pm me if you would like bailiff number)

You will do well to find crucian waters that don't also contain carp, but you have waterloo farm near Market Harborough, Biggin lake at Oundle and Mill Cotton on the WDNAC card @Neil ofthe nene is your man.

Wold farm, moat lake is also a non carp lake containing bream, tench, crucians and silvers. (Later pegs into early 20s for the crucians i have found)

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Welcome.

Take Northantslad's offer and get the number for the Ryson bailiff (Hodge I think) . He looks after a number of lakes and stretches of river around Thrapston (10 minutes from Kettering). The lakes either side of the river at Thrapston are good tench waters. Hodge will put you right.

Crucian waters are a bit more difficult to find. The two small lakes on the Wellingborough complex at Ringstead known collectively as Millcotton contain crucians, and lots of lilies. But they also contain everything else including carp. So singling out crucians is difficult. Sometimes they show and other times you won't see one. The smaller lake, the Donut, has at least one three pounder as witnessed by a bailiff a couple of years ago, I have had them to two pound out of the snake lake. The club try and keep the carp in the Donut under 5lb. There are many more silvers than carp in both lakes but it is almost inevitable that you will catch a few carp in a session (though not for me at the moment:(.

Also at the WDNAC Ringstead fishery you have two larger lakes, Barker's and Brightwells. Barkers I know has some good size tench in. Apparently they are most frequently caught at the end furthest from the entrance. There are tench in Brightwells but this lake does not enjoy the access that Barkers does (road all the way round). WDNAC card is great value for money, £45 for an adult (Jan- Dec) fifteen lakes, miles of river Nene and Ouse plus several miles of canal at Foxton - Husband's Bosworth.

https://wdnac.org.uk/buy-membership/

WDNAC has a Facebook page, I would ask on there about tench & crucians locally

https://www.facebook.com/wdnac/

I think the Brickyard pond at Castle Ashby has crucians in. Mick or Brett at the fishery will put you right there.

kernowbob

Thank you all, does Ryson lake get busy? If someone could PM me the bailiffs number? thank you all for the info