North Devon

DevonDangler

Site Supporter
Although I’ve lived in Devon all my 57 years North Devon has always been a bit of a mystery to me but if you visit Summerlands Tackle Shop in Westward Ho! they’ll put you right on some local venues, as will the lads in the North Devon Match Group if you have access or use Facebook. You’ll bleddy love it down yer, ‘tis proper ansum my luvver ???

The Hitman

Site Supporter
So, nearly 5 months after my first post today we exchanged contracts on the house in North Devon. Few bumps along the way but we got there in the end. Completion on the 28th.
Joined the North Devon Match Group so looking forward to the fresh challenge of different venues, when we can get back match fishing again.
Busy week ahead!

SteveinSwindon

I lived in Barnstaple for several years, albeit about 15 years back now. I fished Jennets Reservoir a bit and know a few guys in that North Devon Match group so have seen some recent match reports. Jennets is a lovely reservoir, not that big, and popular with carpers, although most of them fish a few pegs right on the dam wall. It's quite deep, shallowing away from the dam, but I used to catch good nets of roach and odd bream on the pole.

Several of the other SWW venues are also worth a try - Darracott is smaller but a nice mixed fishery. Slade, in Ilfracombe, used to be popular but I always found that hard going. Stafford Moor has been mentioned already as has Tamar, which is a fabulous feeder and pole venue.

Apart from the Bude Canal, you aren't that far from the Grand Western (Tiverton) Canal, where I grew up, and probably the best canal in Devon and Cornwall - good sized specimen tench, bream, pike and even carp now, plus a good head of roach that feed all year.

Am sure you will find lots of suitable venues nearby and it is a lovely area to live.

baggy

Mark Saunders
I lived in Barnstaple for several years, albeit about 15 years back now. I fished Jennets Reservoir a bit and know a few guys in that North Devon Match group so have seen some recent match reports. Jennets is a lovely reservoir, not that big, and popular with carpers, although most of them fish a few pegs right on the dam wall. It's quite deep, shallowing away from the dam, but I used to catch good nets of roach and odd bream on the pole.

Several of the other SWW venues are also worth a try - Darracott is smaller but a nice mixed fishery. Slade, in Ilfracombe, used to be popular but I always found that hard going. Stafford Moor has been mentioned already as has Tamar, which is a fabulous feeder and pole venue.

Apart from the Bude Canal, you aren't that far from the Grand Western (Tiverton) Canal, where I grew up, and probably the best canal in Devon and Cornwall - good sized specimen tench, bream, pike and even carp now, plus a good head of roach that feed all year.

Am sure you will find lots of suitable venues nearby and it is a lovely area to live.
There are some cracking venues in north Devon, all of the ones previously mentioned are great. Lower Tamar is good too but there aren’t many pegs. There is also Oaktree, Riverton, Morchard Road and Clawford Vineyard. Definitely better venues than in South Devon!

As mentioned earlier on the thread speak to the NDMG, they are a great bunch and fish on most of the venues mentioned in the thread. It’s probably worth joining the group on Facebook

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Got some family friends down that way. The canal and a few old pits and reservoirs and some trout rivers make up the freshwater fishing but the sea is your real opportunity on the fishing front.
Funny that this thread popped up again as the family friends I mentioned as living in Devon have recently announced that they're now moving to Cyprus when lockdown lifts 😅

david white

Site Supporter
Funny that this thread popped up again as the family friends I mentioned as living in Devon have recently announced that they're now moving to Cyprus when lockdown lifts 😅
And that’s before hitman has moved down there !!🤔😀

Seriously it’s a cracking part of the country and if everything goes Pete Tong you can always sample the scrumpy ( and don’t be embarrassed if they’ll only serve you in 1/2 pints, it’s for a good reason )

baggy

Mark Saunders
And that’s before hitman has moved down there !!🤔😀

Seriously it’s a cracking part of the country and if everything goes Pete Tong you can always sample the scrumpy ( and don’t be embarrassed if they’ll only serve you in 1/2 pints, it’s for a good reason )
That’s only in the Cider Bar in Newton Abbot, their Diesel is evil stuff. It’s like bobbing for apples

DAMFLASK CHRIS

Site Supporter
I envy you, been a constant visitor to north Devon and Cornwall for around 15 years now and holsworthy is a good location to visit loads of places all along the coast. I’ll have a look in my fishing log to see where I fished when I was down but to me the first option would be bude canal.

You could also ask for advice in the tackle shop situated right next to the canal basin
i have been bude and fished canal nice spot tackle shop ok as well day ticket from post office near canal plenty of ducks though lol

The Hitman

Site Supporter
There are some cracking venues in north Devon, all of the ones previously mentioned are great. Lower Tamar is good too but there aren’t many pegs. There is also Oaktree, Riverton, Morchard Road and Clawford Vineyard. Definitely better venues than in South Devon!

As mentioned earlier on the thread speak to the NDMG, they are a great bunch and fish on most of the venues mentioned in the thread. It’s probably worth joining the group on Facebook
I have already made contact and joined the group, appreciate the advice.

The Hitman

Site Supporter

Thank you for the information. Never thought of the Tiverton Canal, something i will investigate when i get settled.

The Hitman

Site Supporter
My wife has the same thoughts for 5 years time, just for the Winter months. 👍