North Devon

The Hitman

Site Supporter
Today could be the start of a new chapter . My wife and i have been looking at changing our lifestyle over the last few years and moving to North Devon from our current home in Kenilworth Warwickshire. We went down the North Devon to have a look around and found the perfect house, also a business opportunity with the house having outbuildings to convert into holiday lets, plenty of land for all the pets the wife would like to home. We have made an offer that has been accepted subject my house selling in the next 2 weeks, we put our house on the market yesterday and have a cash buyer viewing today, so fingers crossed.
We are very lucky that we have friends down in Bideford and Woolsery, so we know the area well as visiting for 19 years now.

What i will be looking forward to is the change of my fishing style as they have mainly reservoirs down there also a big ocean to have a go at, plus the estuary for Mullett, a species that i have always wanted to fish for.

Are there any fellow forum members that live in that area that will be able to offer me advice when we move down there?? the village is Sutcombe, 6 miles from Holsworthy. i have checked out SW lakes that have some nice looking waters. Won't be interested in fishing matches for a while, just want to have a go at catching some big bream Roach and Perch, with all the commercial fishing i do at the moment i can leave the carp alone for a while.

Any help and advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
Sounds great, all I know about Holsworthy is that I am going there in a few weeks to Wooda Lakes.for fishing holiday.
It's about 7 mile from Bude.
From what I gather the area is rather peaceful and tranquil,

davepellet

I envy you, been a constant visitor to north Devon and Cornwall for around 15 years now and holsworthy is a good location to visit loads of places all along the coast. I’ll have a look in my fishing log to see where I fished when I was down but to me the first option would be bude canal.

You could also ask for advice in the tackle shop situated right next to the canal basin

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
There's also the sea. You can use your Carp gear to catch a multitude of edible fish.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
I envy you, been a constant visitor to north Devon and Cornwall for around 15 years now and holsworthy is a good location to visit loads of places all along the coast. I’ll have a look in my fishing log to see where I fished when I was down but to me the first option would be bude canal.

You could also ask for advice in the tackle shop situated right next to the canal basin
How far is the canal from Holsworthy Dave ,? And name of tackle shop if possible ,
Place I am staying on Lakes has small tackle shop but dont know what it stocks,

juttle

Grumpy old cripple
Site Supporter
For decent perch take a look at upper tamar lakes, there’s some good sized perch to be had there. You’re not far from the Bude canal where you are, which is supposed to be good for all sorts. I’ve not fished it personally but I’ve got a couple of mates that are regular visitors and the highly rate it. You’ve also got Simpson Valley just outside holsworthy, might be worth a look (Simpson Valley Coarse and Trout Fishery - Home Page)

davepellet

It’s probably about 10 miles from holsworthy to bude. Can’t recall name of tackle shop but it’s set back from a nice little square alongside the canal, very close to the sea. There’s cafes and ice cream shop in the square and easy to find

The Hitman

Site Supporter
How far is the canal from Holsworthy Dave ,? And name of tackle shop if possible ,
Place I am staying on Lakes has small tackle shop but dont know what it stocks,
Tackle shop is next to the canal, by the car park. Waterfront Fishing and Shooting. Nice guy in there.

davepellet

As I recall it’s a pretty decent shop too. Drennan dealer... remember holding the matchpro ultralight in there when it first came out, unfortunately it was the last couple of days of our holiday so I’d spent up by then!

davej

old hippy
Site Supporter
Fingers crossed, hope it all works out for you, moving to rural Wales was best thing i've ever done.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
I am taking my partner, she has said she will go and relax in hot tub while I go fishing, With all the extra venues mentioned I can see her ending up looking like a prune.
The bude canal sounds good, so it seems I may be taking some tackle if we go for a mooch anywhere.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Got some family friends down that way. The canal and a few old pits and reservoirs and some trout rivers make up the freshwater fishing but the sea is your real opportunity on the fishing front.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Today could be the start of a new chapter . My wife and i have been looking at changing our lifestyle over the last few years and moving to North Devon from our current home in Kenilworth Warwickshire. We went down the North Devon to have a look around and found the perfect house, also a business opportunity with the house having outbuildings to convert into holiday lets, plenty of land for all the pets the wife would like to home. We have made an offer that has been accepted subject my house selling in the next 2 weeks, we put our house on the market yesterday and have a cash buyer viewing today, so fingers crossed.
We are very lucky that we have friends down in Bideford and Woolsery, so we know the area well as visiting for 19 years now.

What i will be looking forward to is the change of my fishing style as they have mainly reservoirs down there also a big ocean to have a go at, plus the estuary for Mullett, a species that i have always wanted to fish for.

Are there any fellow forum members that live in that area that will be able to offer me advice when we move down there?? the village is Sutcombe, 6 miles from Holsworthy. i have checked out SW lakes that have some nice looking waters. Won't be interested in fishing matches for a while, just want to have a go at catching some big bream Roach and Perch, with all the commercial fishing i do at the moment i can leave the carp alone for a while.

Any help and advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance.
Good luck with your move,hope it all goes well ,come on you Blues?

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Sounds idyllic mate, go for it. Some things are fated to be and it looks like everything is falling into place for you ?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Kenilworth is a pretty nice area already but it sounds like you have researched the new area so best of luck to you if move.