Noob Big wild lake.

Andme

Hi. I've just back into fishing last year with my teenage son. Been fishing mainly commercials but it's not really been my cuppa tea. Too busy, not much space between pegs and seem like most lakes are built for pole fishing (I can't afford a decent pole)

Anyway to cut a long story, I've found a big lake on my door step very reasonably priced. But I'm not sure what to expect, or what I'd need. I went for a good walk round early Sunday morning and there was only a handfull fishing, all hid away in there bivys with 3 rods each and alarms. Again not really my type of fishing. But the size and space would be perfect.

I've had a really good look through there Facebook page and the pictures are mostly double figure carp and large looking pike. Would I be right to assume that if there's a decent amount of pike there's likely to be a decent amount of smaller fish??

Next question is kit. As we've only been Fishing commercials (cheaply) i was wondering if most our kit is unsuitable? So far we have a 10ft float rod each, 10ft and 9ft feeder rod and a 4m whip. Then a small match style landing net and unhooking matt. Guessing I'd definitely need a bigger landing net, but would the rods and everything surfice for now? Is there a way we could go with what we've got and just target the smaller fish?

Thanks
Andy.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
It depends on the lake and who runs it as to the rules in place.
If you name the venue chances are someone on here will know it.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Basically yes, your kit will be fine if you are targeting smaller silvers and not the larger carp. You are highly unlikely to get one of the carp out should you hook it.

Wellingborough has a similar couple of lakes, the major one being Barker's. Known for its large carp and mainly fished by peoople targeting them. But there is a good head of silvers in it that don't get fished for that often. I fished the other lake, Princess, last weekend and had a succession of 2 inch rudd.

rd115

Slava Ukraini
Site Supporter
My approach would be:

Maybe try a waggler close in up against some reeds or the edge of lily pads, maggot,, caster or worm on the hook with a bit of loose feed going in now and again. See what comes along.

Other option is to find maybe 4-8ft of depth on a clean / gravelly bottom and put a small carpet of bait out and cast a feeder over the top, again maggot, caster or worm on the hook and see what comes along.

If a bivvy and 3 rods isn't your sort of thing then makes no sense to ask those types for advice other than to see if there are maybe Bream or Tench in there. But if you spot someone doing your kind of fishing it could well pay to ask what they're doing and what they're catching.

squimp

Site Supporter
Some of the places I specimen fish have strict rules on the tackle you can use. Most notably minimum line strengths.

One says minimum 15 for carp, 10 for tench and 5 for roach etc.

You will also almost certainly be required to have a decent unhooking mat, regardless of whether you are just targeting silvers.

Andme

From what I've worked out it's not very popular. There's apperently a good amount of large tench and bream caught up to 13lb. Rule wise there's not many. Basically no live bait or barbed hooks and a landing net suitable for fish you catch.

The other thing is it's yearly permit, its reasonable at about £60 all in for the both of us and gate key. But at the same time a waste if we go once and don't like it.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Sometimes lakes like these can be a pleasant surprise so you never know. I only say that because there's places like that near me that are popular with Carp anglers, and less popular with general anglers for various reasons but have some good Tench fishing. On the other hand it could be a bit of a gamble being yearly permit.

davej1981

At £60 id take a punt, pay 80-100 a year down south. The one im leaving this year was £100 for one lake, the fishing is good though

squimp

Site Supporter
From what I've worked out it's not very popular. There's apperently a good amount of large tench and bream caught up to 13lb. Rule wise there's not many. Basically no live bait or barbed hooks and a landing net suitable for fish you catch.

The other thing is it's yearly permit, its reasonable at about £60 all in for the both of us and gate key. But at the same time a waste if we go once and don't like it.
If that’s the price what have you got to lose ? How many day tickets does that £60 buy at your local commercial and if you don’t like commercials anyway……

Go and talk to the carpers and find out how/where they catch tench and bream by accident (or where they see the fish roll). Then target them with fairly substantial feeder gear. If it’s quiet you could even do a bit of pre-baiting.

Andme

Yeah it's actually £40 for the two of us (£25 for me and £15 for my son) and £20 diposit for gate keys. I could get away without the key too. Usually cost us £15 just in day tickets so it's a bargain really.

Probably worded my initial post a little wronge. It's not that i dislike commercials, just the one most local doesn't suit us. Aston park. My sons still learning the basics. With it being so heavily fished and pegs so close to each other it's hard for him to practice the simple things like casting without ending up on an island or someone else's peg.

Think I'll just give this place a go. If we like it we can always invest in some better tackle.

Godber

Fruity Susan, Nobice and Inventor of W@nkles.
Site Supporter
If you are going for silvers at a longer distance have a look at this, absolute bargain. Team it up with a 5000 reel with braid and it will hit 60-70 yards easy. I've got 2 of them and use them on big ressies for silvers.

Andme

If you are going for silvers at a longer distance have a look at this, absolute bargain. Team it up with a 5000 reel with braid and it will hit 60-70 yards easy. I've got 2 of them and use them on big ressies for silvers.
Thanks I actually asked about these last year. Went to my local tackle shop and had a look but opted for a 10ft Preston ignition carp feeder instead. Reel wise I've got a Shimano DL 4000 baitrunner that should manage. But that's about the best of our kit, were always on abit of a budget.

Total

Site Supporter
12 footers, 2 or 3 piece rods Mick?:unsure:

Last edited:

Godber

Fruity Susan, Nobice and Inventor of W@nkles.
Site Supporter
!2 footers, 2 or 3 piece rods Mick?:unsure:
2 piece mate, the blanks are long and you need the longest rod case, 196cm l think, to fit them in. Great rods for the price.