None Go Bye Farm

MunchMyStump

Site Supporter
So Mr's Much and I paid a visit on Wednesday due to the fact the venue has a "beginners" lake. This is a great idea as it allows a novice to become familiar with both handling and catching fish, This lake is very shallow, only around 2 feet but it has a great head of small and a few not so small breeds in there.
I opted for waggler and put on the smallest visi wag 2 they sell requiring 2 no 4 as bulk and 2 no 6 to get the bait down, one halfway down, the other 4" from the hook. I wanted to fish overdepth as this technique will be the mainstay on other larger ponds and lakes going forward. Learning the lift bite is just as essential as a regular bite in my opinion.
Anyhow, duly set up and asking her to pick a bankside feature that would be "the spot" we got underway. I did the casting (lobbing) to show her for the 1st couple of casts then let her try with err... mixed results!! In fairness a 13' waggler rod and a reel she could barely trap the line on the spool with her finger perhaps hampered her ability but she persisted and slowly but surely she was getting better through the day.
First fish was a lovely roach of about half a pound followed by a stunning crucian of around a pound and a half. She played them well listening to instruction on how to gain line and when to steer the fish etc, I did the landing and unhooking to start with but as the day progressed she was happy doing most of it herself so much so I set up the quiver rod and felt happy enough to fish myself sat next to her. After a bit of persuasion she went on the bomb with a 14 hook and a bunch of maggots in the hope this would deter the smaller fish and lead her into hooking one of the few larger carp in there. Unfortunately the plan didnt work, although she was still catching nice roach and small mirrors so she was happy as could be, By the end of the day she and I had caught well over 50 fish ranging from a couple of ounces to solid pound and a half. Not a bad day for a beginner.

I was really surprised when we arrived to see just how many anglers were there, I thought we would have the place to ourselves pretty much and the 2 swims I had earmarked on our recce were already taken. I decided that we would just fish the beginners lake for the day instead of moving on to one of the larger lakes. It turns out this was the correct thing to do, people were moaning that they were not catching anything on any lake with a few choice words thrown in for good measure. I'm sure however that the heavy rain and sudden drop in temperature of both water and air has more of a bearing than there being a lack of fish... Sticking to the beginner side of things gave us a great day out.

Getting back to the issues she encountered, length of rod and size of reel. We popped into Bobco today and she bought herself a nice Frenzee Match+ 10' waggler rod and a Korum Axis 3000 reel that she can actually reach the spool on. So, suffice to say, she is really enjoying herself. Being outdoors has always been a passion of hers and now she has discovered fishing, well she could not be happier and is checking the weather forecast daily and checking her work timetable...
Looks like there will be plenty more trips in the near future!!

Tight lines all.

Munchy

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Another angler on the banks cant be a bad thing ;)

MunchMyStump

Site Supporter
Shhh, don't tell her... I'm off on my own on Saturday whilst she is at work! (y)

Munchy

Rch164

I've been to none go bye today, was looking for carp really and instead couldn't catch anything but trout....I didn't even know it had trout in there!!

A good day though, took my 12 year old. He's at a stage now where I pretty much leave him to it unless he's stuck. He had 1 trout and 1 small skimmer bream

Rch164

I've been to none go bye today, was looking for carp really and instead couldn't catch anything but trout....I didn't even know it had trout in there!!

A good day though, took my 12 year old. He's at a stage now where I pretty much leave him to it unless he's stuck. He had 1 trout and 1 small skimmer bream