Non-Sponsored Angler YouTube channels

Godber

Inventor of W@nkles.
Site Supporter
Dave Roberts Angling adventures. Dont think he's sponsored but his videos on the mighty Wye are very good.

TiggerXFM

I have a cameraman for about one in five of my videos; it helps enormously! I can concentrate on fishing whilst he can move cameras around, film the float or fish in close-up etc. check sound volume....

One of the biggest challenges is sound quality; there's no substitute for a) finding places without intrusive sound (not that easy even in rural Dorset, planes, trains, automobiles, chainsaws), b) decent microphones and amps and c) decent means of recording. It's easy to be tempted by Chinese rubbish microphones on Amazon that it's only when you get a proper mic do you notice the difference. I got a Sennheiser radio mic set secondhand from a big dealer and used properly it is fantastic - much to learn though.
I can imagine the helper would make a huge difference Mark, zooming in on things when your fishing etc.
My mrs got me a go pro to use on the push bike after being hit by several cars and my little clips were after I taken it with me to make some clips for my own self. I might get another one to put on the back of the push bike and I might take it to the bank and leave it on a staff.
Still haven't learned how to do the editing, my mrs is provaricating 🙄😄.

tincatim

Site Supporter
I watched the highlights 2019, looks like his vids are good. Although if they have that music blurring it would burn my brain out. I prefer amature footage with no music etc, just the sounds around the angler would be my preference.
Must just be that one then because all of his other videos are just him fishing, apart from some scenery shots with some low key classical type music.

Most are like this one:

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Site Supporter
I know it doesn't really answer the OP, but i have mixed views on some of the offerings out there from some non names as it were, equally though yes some names too and sometimes for the reason you mention. Much opinion is driven i think by what you want from watching them.

In defense of sponsored top anglers if you want to call it that, then commercial wise Des Shipp all day for me and Jon Arthur is equally good and also his river match ones- if though as me, you watch them to aid learning or tactical awareness.

For entertainment value or to to get an idea of areas/venues to approach, then i will watch most things. If i learn something from them during that, then mental note of who it was.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
The only one I have watched was a Jon Arthur one, someone sent me a link to a vid where he was paste fishing on a venue I fish .
Was very good, no product pushing , just how he set up the paste rig and feeding technique.

Richarduk

Is that the joe guy with glasses? If so he’s Preston and sonubaits I believe

All I can think of genuinely good quality wise off the top of my head are the John guy from hooked fishing channel and nick from Avon angling uk plus MarkW off here. Probably missed a couple given it’s late but everyone else I can think of has some form of sponsorship.
No, MatchFishingMasterclass is (mainly) Rikki Richards and he is excellent.

MunchMyStump

Site Supporter
Andy May? Jamie Harrison? Yes you see the sponsors but the brand is not highlighted, as in here is the reel / rod you must use... Not on the live matches and not at all on the JH catch channel.
I fell into that trap when fly fishing, buying rods that were totally designed for distance and sponsored by a world champion. Cost me a small fortune and were pretty much useless to me the average angler.
The unfortunate upside to this was the the rods that actually suited me me were Hardy Zenith's. It would appear that that ethos has also come forward to my coarse angling...
One more reel this year and I am done... Hopefully!