Non-Sponsored Angler YouTube channels

Bacon

TA fishing is in my opinion the best channel out there. Non sponsored, no brands, no tackle tarts, just fishing of all kinds and some good catches to boot.
As a multi discipline angler myself I find it all informative and very enjoyable.

Warden

Site Supporter
TBH I think probably most of the anglers that have a YouTube or Facebook page are sponsored either directly or otherwise, for videos they produce, and rightly so it costs hundreds of pounds to buy a set of camera's, video software etc, (i mean the professional stuff) and of course then there is the time they put into filming and editing it all. Youtube I believe pays £? per 1000 views facebook may do something similar not sure, certainly the sponsored anglers have a big advantage against non sponsored in a match scenario so can only be judged against other anglers who also have the best gear provided. The top ones make a living at it the others try to join then.

MarkW

TBH I think probably most of the anglers that have a YouTube or Facebook page are sponsored either directly or otherwise, for videos they produce, and rightly so it costs hundreds of pounds to buy a set of camera's, video software etc, (i mean the professional stuff) and of course then there is the time they put into filming and editing it all. Youtube I believe pays £? per 1000 views facebook may do something similar not sure, certainly the sponsored anglers have a big advantage against non sponsored in a match scenario so can only be judged against other anglers who also have the best gear provided. The top ones make a living at it the others try to join then.
It certainly costs a lot for equipment as my bank balance can attest but it's good fun making videos. One of the best video editing software packages is the free version of Davinci Resolve. No-one sponsors me but it's worth it.
My channel is Mark Wintle Fishing and I've got over 100 videos now,

Paul Cresswell

Site Supporter
Just to be clear you don’t need loads of gear to do YouTube videos, I use my iPhone, free Apple software, iMovie (and iPad but not essential), £18 microphone, £4 eBay stand on a set of ladders. Mine are far from professional standard and the professional ones are more involved and need good kit, software, computers. I have bought a 4K camera to use off eBay for £40, but not used it much yet. There are lots of instructional videos to help you along, I’m no computer expert. In case anyone is thinking of doing it to be clear it doesn’t cost at all to upload videos, you don’t have to be a YouTube premium subscriber or anything like that.

You need a lot of subscribers to start making money on YouTube, some of my videos have had 6,000 views but I've made nothing (btw I’m not interested in making anything, it’s fun, fills my time and I feel I’m helping people).

cockneybob

CockneyBob
Site Supporter
Avon Angler UK,
All about river fishing mostly and how and what does enjoyable to watch and very informative

Browner

Site Supporter
Avon Angler UK,
All about river fishing mostly and how and what does enjoyable to watch and very informative
Love watching these short films. My kind of fishing. Especially the chub and roach fishing he does.

TiggerXFM

I have made a few videos simply by using a go pro strapped onto my head. I have never put them public on youtube though. Ok, not professional stuff, but your there with me kinda thing and you don't see my pretty face 😱😄. I reckon you don't need loads of stuff to make a video which is watchable.
It depends on how professional you want to try and make your video I suppose.
I know Marks videos have come on since his first ones, but I think you have a helper now Mark?

Most places I fish are non publicity waters/club waters and any videos would have to be cleverly edited so as not to show the locations.

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
I know I'm not in tune with anyone else on this planet, but I can't see how someone showing you how to fish using certain tackle (from a firm who sponsors him) can be anything but helpful. You don't have to use the gear he/she is using. It's the technique that's important, and you just have to adapt that technique to your own ability.

There's a world of difference between a firm going out to show you how their new stuff works, and an angler going out to show you how to catch fish and also telling you what gear he is using.

I'd be interested to see what videos the OP takes exception to.

Alantherose

Site Supporter
I just enjoy a non biased video with genuine reviews/opinions.
Trouble with the first half of that is that there's no such thing.
Trouble with the second half is that people can lie (or be economical with the truth, omitting to say that they don't actually use that gear/bait).

Fritz

I do watch sponsored anglers and videos produced by companies but I am more skeptic watching them as if I would watch an unsponsored angler. I try to keep in mind that part of these films are advertisements, but I think that into my subconscious the message still gets delivered: buy this stuff!
That is the way advertisements work also subtile.

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
Ask yourself why an angler is sponsored in the first place. It will always be because he/she is very good. It's the difference between David Beckham showing you how to bend a ball and an unknown from a village knock-up team. But just because Beckham is sponsored by a boot-maker it seems some people on this site would be sceptical. Doesn't make sense to me.

Alantherose

Site Supporter
Ask yourself why an angler is sponsored in the first place. It will always be because he/she is very good. It's the difference between David Beckham showing you how to bend a ball and an unknown from a village knock-up team. But just because Beckham is sponsored by a boot-maker it seems some people on this site would be sceptical. Doesn't make sense to me.
Aye, but if David Beckham held his boots in your face after every free kick he took, wouldn't you begin to think he was doing more than showing you his technique? :unsure::LOL:

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
Aye, but if David Beckham held his boots in your face after every free kick he took, wouldn't you begin to think he was doing more than showing you his technique? :unsure::LOL:

It would mean he's showing you both. You have a choice as to which one to study or to ignore. If you want new boots that's a starting point for you to consider. Improvement in any sport - including fishing - requires you to do a bit of work and decide what is best for you. Nothing is handed to you on a plate - there's no item of tackle guaranteed to get you to catch more fish - it's how you use it that counts.

If all the top anglers refused to tell you what they use, or how they fish, there would still be criticism! :(

MarkW

I have made a few videos simply by using a go pro strapped onto my head. I have never put them public on youtube though. Ok, not professional stuff, but your there with me kinda thing and you don't see my pretty face 😱😄. I reckon you don't need loads of stuff to make a video which is watchable.
It depends on how professional you want to try and make your video I suppose.
I know Marks videos have come on since his first ones, but I think you have a helper now Mark?

Most places I fish are non publicity waters/club waters and any videos would have to be cleverly edited so as not to show the locations.
I have a cameraman for about one in five of my videos; it helps enormously! I can concentrate on fishing whilst he can move cameras around, film the float or fish in close-up etc. check sound volume....

One of the biggest challenges is sound quality; there's no substitute for a) finding places without intrusive sound (not that easy even in rural Dorset, planes, trains, automobiles, chainsaws), b) decent microphones and amps and c) decent means of recording. It's easy to be tempted by Chinese rubbish microphones on Amazon that it's only when you get a proper mic do you notice the difference. I got a Sennheiser radio mic set secondhand from a big dealer and used properly it is fantastic - much to learn though.