Nomadic fish?

nickg

I might write to Cadence next summer and see if James Robbins wants to come and fish it. :unsure: :LOL:

I mean I've had an 18lb pike, I've seen a 1.5lb perch come out.

I've seen a shoal of 30+ bream

Rarely see anyone catching tench or carp though!

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I'm always looking for videos on the places I fish so it was nice to see Clive Branson fish the Stour. I might try to contact him and say if he's ever back in the area he should try fishing further downstream on this weir, just for my own curiosity as much as anything.

I've seen videos on the Staff/Worcs canal of James Robbins and he makes the Chub fishing look easy so I know he fishes in the area sometimes.

I'd just love to see say Alan Scotthorne or someone of that level fish this little weir as I'm sure he'd empty it even though it would never happen and a bit of local knowledge probably always helps. I could go down and give him tips of where to cast to not lose a feeder. :LOL:

derwentboy

Site Supporter
On the rivers with trout and grayling I find that once the water temp rises in Spring and slowly heats up as we head towards summer, the fish move in general to anywhere fast flowing and well oxygenated..it doesn't really matter how shallowit is so long as they have cover either from trees above or a torrent of white water above their heads, often staying just off the flow in the crease getting food from the 'conveyor belt' that comes past them. At first I used to fish deep slow pools for them thinking it was where the big ones would be but that was totally wrong in hindsight and I have caught good fish in 12-18 inches of water regularly .
If it is a sunny warm day and the river is low I'll concentrate on any white water I can find and fish it as thoroughly as I can. When the trout season ends in Sept we can still fish for grayling but once the temp drops they still feed well but seem to move to the deepest holes which are often slower and shoal up. It's just finding them that takes time but once you find them you've got them. On one of the stretches of the Lancashire Calder that I fish, I regularly watch barbel spawning on the gravel in around May time and I often wonder just how far up the river they have travelled. This winter I'm going to try and find the spots where the chub hold up now the salmon lads have left the river.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Wrote a few lengthy posts on the Lower Severn/Teme Barbel migrations before and how known Barbel were caught from both rivers in a short period of time. There was no pattern to their migration and some could stay in one river for years and then suddenly decided they fancied a change.

Barbel will migrate 10 kilometres per day to find suitable spawning grounds.
Females arrive at the spawning zones accompanied by between 8 and 30 males.
They all occupy the spawning zone......
Source: Studies of Reproductive Fish – E. Baras

Last edited:

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Chatting to the bloke in the tackle shop, he fishes the stretch Clive Branson fished and has had a 7lb Barbel out of there this year, so hopefully that's making its way upstream to me right now. Could be going in the other direction though. Said he hooked what he reckons was a Carp too and I've heard about 8lb Carp coming out of where I fish.