Noisy Places to Fish

nejohn

Site Supporter
The stretch just north of the runway was damned noisy. 25-30 years back, there was a short lived little day ticket venue out of the back of Leeming Village. It was just shy of 200m from the runway threshold piano keys at the closest point. When a Tonka took off, the noise was painful. I recall trying to hold a pole with one hand whilst trying to cover both ears with the other hand and a shoulder. However, the weirder thing was that the ponds used to ripple like the glass of water in Jurassic Park as the ground shook.
Chris that is the stretch we used to fish either side of the road bridge ...as you say very noisy at times

tee.bee

Site Supporter
southport leisure lakes can get noisy with the jet skies on the next lake

adriang

Site Supporter
My local stretch of the Thames.. the road bridge has lights so it has traffic stopped, and then cars and bikes try and go at it as last as possible to get some kind of Dukes of Hazzard jump on the way over. And its close enough to Brize Norton to hear whats happening there, and when the yanks are in Farford, hear and see them coming in and out. (I think they use the Brize runway to line up for the Fairford runway). To be honest, the planes don't bother me as much as the road noise.

alsur

Site Supporter
On my first visit to the Slough arm of the GU canal, I drew next to the M25. Add the proximity to Heathrow.
Another stand out day was on the Basingstoke canal, the match was the same day as Farnborough air show.
There were some good bream swims along Basingstoke canal near the end of Farnborough runway really noisy air show week and week before. Also in Grand Union in West Drayton opposite the Helicopter Pads think they have gone now, I remember one bloke having his pole broke my down draft as a helicopter took off.

alsur

Site Supporter
Also Mole between Dorking and Leatherhead just like being at Brands Hatch as bikers roared up and down A24

Wey Navigation where it goes under M25

Only noisy place I fish now is next to a busy dual carriage way Gold Valley is on other side.

Last edited:

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Blackstone isn't noisy per se but is compared to other Severn stretches where the only noise is from the occasional steam train as the opposite bank is Ribbesford which is on a road. There's a lot of high performance motor vehicles around Bewdley and every time a particularly loud one comes down the road I have to double check it's not a speedboat hurtling down the river. Not really noisy but not as tranquil as being out of the way.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
Chris that is the stretch we used to fish either side of the road bridge ...as you say very noisy at times
Sorry, I've realized that it's not very clear from my post. I was agreeing with you that Bedale Beck close to the end of the runway was damned noisy. However, the little day ticket fishery at the back of the village was a stillwater venue that was a smidge closer to the runway than the beck.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
I'd actually forgotten about the very worst (for noise) fishing venue I've ever experienced, probably because I didn't actually fish it myself. I was a bank runner for mates competing in the Carp Cup (final) at Wraysbury. Between the aircraft noise of Heathrow traffic, the background drone of the M25, the railway about 100 yards away and the huge flock of ring necked parakeets, it was torture. If you subjected a POW to it, you'd be charged with war crimes.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Tbh can hear the M40 or A34 to some extent from just about every venue around here as never much more than a couple miles from them.

qtaran111

Site Supporter
There’s an old estate lake I fish sometimes that consists of three lakes (top, middle and bottom - reversed in the pic below).

Top lake with the pump house (octagonal building, bottom of pic) is nice and quiet. See that railway line at the top of the pic, right next to bottom lake? That’s HS1 - frightens the bejesus out of you when Eurostar goes flying past.

Cracking place to fish though.
BD90A14A-C199-4FF4-91B9-796CD6D051A5.jpeg

Robwooly

Most of us have listed harmless background noise but lets face it the noisiest cacophony of the lot is inconsiderate anglers on the next peg, chatting about everything out loud or ffing and blinding, lets face it we've all had it and would swap it for motorway noise in an instant.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
Manor Pond in Cobham is quite noisy, as is Warwick Wold by the junction of the M23/M25. At Warwick Wold you notice it when there is a lull in the traffic.