Noisy Places to Fish

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
Some 30 odd year's ago I used to fish a small lake located in the grounds of a gun club. It used to be great little venue for crucians against the island. where the water shallowed up beach like. Cast a light waggler to the shallows and drag back into slightly deeper water. Some nice tench there too. Had a mate join me one Sunday morning with a hangover from the night before, the constant bang, bang from shotguns on the range sent him home early. :ROFLMAO:

What noisy places have you fished ?

rudd

Serial Blanker
Site Supporter
Next to docks at Felixstowe, constant banging of containers etc.
Great bit of depth though and lit up at night.

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
@rudd I bet it was, have been to a few docks in my time. I bet one of the biggest bangs at Felixstowe came when the docks dropped a pair of 20' containers being lifted together. When the container with three large alternators arrived back at our packing depot the doors needed to be jemmied open and the twistlocks had been completely ripped away on one end.

@warrington63 Constand drone of traffic and tyres on ashphalt..........think I would prefer the shotguns. :D:D

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Cuton Lakes, alongside the A12... hideous Also Theale pit alongside the M25 (I think)
Kings Weir on the Lea when its carrying a couple of extra feet of water... the swim by the weir gates was terrible for the roar... when I got back to Slipe Lane car park the silence was deafening

Robwooly

Got a club pond next to the m25 you kind of get used to it, fished a plethora of public rivers in parks when the local fairs have been on plus a couple of rivers behind football grounds. Many stretches of free rivers back on to industrial areas which are always noisy.

One thing that always seems to surpass all those on the decibel levels is when you are fishing somewhere quiet and a large group of ramblers come by, seems there is no noise as loud as a group of people travelling, the canoes on some rivers push it close though. And groups of schoolchildren going by, the noise they make although it is kind of likable hearing all that energy and reminiscing, as long as it drifts off into the distance that is.

nejohn

Site Supporter
We used to fish a stretch of Bedale beck which was about 400m from the end of one of the runways for RAF Leeming, when the wind conditions meant they had to use that runway I got rather noisy when a Tornado took off, they went over our heads so low you could almost count the rivets

smiffy

Site Supporter
Got to agree with Arry. Cutons lakes in Chelmsford only deserved a single visit from me. Noise from the A12 made the place unbearable.
Some breckland fisheries could be proper noisy if they happened ro be under the flight path for the days activity at Mildenhall and Lakenheath. I believe it’s a lot quieter around both bases nowadays.

Godber

.Nobice and inventor of W@nkles
Site Supporter
Under the flightpath at RAF Gutersloh, Germany.
Rolfs lake has constant traffic noise from the M40.

lliopp

Site Supporter
On my first visit to the Slough arm of the GU canal, I drew next to the M25. Add the proximity to Heathrow.
Another stand out day was on the Basingstoke canal, the match was the same day as Farnborough air show.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
Warks Avon - peg 1 on the Barford water is right next to the M40 bridge (just by Longbridge Island).
It's one of the better pegs on that bit - so worth the noise in a match!
TBF - the M40 traffic is not so bad outside commuter times,

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Claremont Fishery at the back of our estate. Lovely setting but right next to the M53 so traffic noise is a pain.
Yew Tree fishery in Wirral. Again...a lovely spot but there's dog boarding kennels close by & the constant barking drives you barking.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
I find the constant roar of a waterfall or weir more of an issue than shorter term louder noises. Richmond Falls, Topcliffe and Crakehill Weirs are all places I've fished regularly. However, despite being forced to fish a bit further from it, Collingham Peg 1A at Cromwell Weir takes the biscuit for me.

We used to fish a stretch of Bedale beck which was about 400m from the end of one of the runways for RAF Leeming, when the wind conditions meant they had to use that runway I got rather noisy when a Tornado took off, they went over our heads so low you could almost count the rivets
The stretch just north of the runway was damned noisy. 25-30 years back, there was a short lived little day ticket venue out of the back of Leeming Village. It was just shy of 200m from the runway threshold piano keys at the closest point. When a Tonka took off, the noise was painful. I recall trying to hold a pole with one hand whilst trying to cover both ears with the other hand and a shoulder. However, the weirder thing was that the ponds used to ripple like the glass of water in Jurassic Park as the ground shook.

MarkW

As I strive to make fishing videos I'm finding some places very noisy though managing the sound is possible. You'd think mid Dorset would be quiet but stunt/trainer planes are common and very noisy. At Sturminster Newton by the traffic lights is constant lorry noise. Breach Pond is not from Lulworth gunnery range as well as an army rifle range. A pond near Bournemouth Airport has both plane noise and a massive composting facility. Next to Wimborne bypass bridge is always noisy - I've turned down sound to 5% of actual there.

Steve57

Site Supporter
Hemington fishery, it's at the junction of the A52 (dual carriageway) and the M1.

DevonDangler

Site Supporter
Summerhayes at Bridgwater, M5 traffic, trains and “local” accents. It’s enough to drive a chap insane I tell ‘ee 😘

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Sadly one of the most beautiful waters in the country, Ashmead can get quite noisy as its close to Yeovilton RNAS base, so there's helicopters and jets taking off regularly

IanG1

Site Supporter
Local club canal stretch is next to a scrap recycling plant, to be honest you block out the noise after a short time being on the bank and doesn't bother the fish, go on a Sunday and it's bliss though.