Noisy fishermen

Paulr70

Hey All,

Had an issue recently on a quiet lake day fishery, two fishermen friends making loads of noise throughout the day. Constantly chatting loudly, they were getting on a bit so maybe a slightly deaf, swearing every other sentence. I normally fish with my kids so glad they weren't with me. it's was f***ing this, c**t this,.through the day.
They were shouting,whilstling, clapping at any birds that came near their floats. I heard burping and farting, yes farting.
I was about 100 yds from them. never have I heard such anti social fisherman. I had to put on my ear plugs and listen to a podcast, When I did remove them I could hear these two instantly. was relentless. I was tempted to have a word but kept my ear plugs in.

what would you have done in my situation?

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Ignored it and concentrated on what I was doing.

If you could hear every noise they were making at 100 yards then they must have been exceptionally loud as that's the minimum length of a football pitch.

tincatim

Site Supporter
It is annoying but there’s not a lot you can do really. It’s their time on the bank just as much as it is yours, so the best thing to do is just ignore them. There’s ignorant, selfish people in all walks of life.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I suppose it depends a bit on the venue. On my club lake at Ringstead I would have had a word. The lake is regularly fished by ladies and children.

Me being me I might have had a word at another venue or spoken to the fishery owner.

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
It is annoying but there’s not a lot you can do really. It’s their time on the bank just as much as it is yours, so the best thing to do is just ignore them. There’s ignorant, selfish people in all walks of life.
Sorry I disagree. In a public space we all have a responsibility to act in a manner that is not anti social. Talking loudly is one thing, swearing is another.

Paulr70

If you could hear every noise they were making at 100 yards then they must have been exceptionally loud as that's the minimum length of a football pitch.
Yes they were loud, think they were builders , left in a van. Sound skims off the water surface so it travels on open water making it worse.
when people are wolf whistling at birds, shouting , clapping and swearing. It.was quite funny because the were losing fish or getting caught it trees. thank god for ear buds.

luckily they left and I had two hours of peace and quiet.

tincatim

Site Supporter
Sorry I disagree. In a public space we all have a responsibility to act in a manner that is not anti social. Talking loudly is one thing, swearing is another.
I agree in the sense of that’s how I behave and think, however when it’s other people, what do you suggest? Would you go and tell them to shut up?

Paulr70

If there was a bailiff I would have said something to them but I've never seen a bailiff at this lake which is disappointing.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I had the same the other day, I came home and wrote that I was opposite Pavarotti, as he was on the opposite bank listening to Smooth FM and singing along to it as well as bemoaning that he wasn't catching anything. I'm non-confrontational so not going to ask them to be quiet unfortunately. It was a shame though as it's usually a good venue to go to for peace and quiet.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
The problem nowadays is if you approach others with a view to telling them how to behave, to quieten down, etc, you don't know how they are going to react, even more so if there is more than one of them when bravado in front of their mate(s) kicks in.

Paulr70

The problem nowadays is if you approach others with a view to telling them how to behave, to quieten down, etc, you don't know how they are going to react, even more so if there is more than one of them when bravado in front of their mate(s) kicks in.
Yes my thoughts exactly, but this I think is where baliffs should step in to help, two is better than one with a kick in, but joking aside. if the baliffs threatened these people to ban them surely that would be the best action?

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
I agree in the sense of that’s how I behave and think, however when it’s other people, what do you suggest? Would you go and tell them to shut up?
I would certainly ask them to moderate their language, particularly if there were women and children within earshot.

Robwooly

I always move whether it's other anglers or joe public, fishing with a light one rod set up always allows for this.

Had this happen on a club lake a few months ago with a well known TV angler(who I won't name) and his agent who was very loud, very shouty, I could hear every phone call every conversation, decided it was best for both parties if I moved out of earshot, I had a lovely day in the end, sometimes you have to suffer fools and get as far from as possible.

rudd

Site Supporter
Its all about how you approach them and in the wording used but there are those with no respect for anything or anyone.

davylad

Site Supporter

I'm not so sure about that, if it's a still day, noise seems to travel a lot further. I can talk and sometimes swear as good as most, but there's a time and place. I think it disgusting that some people have no regard for others, whether it be fishing a lake etc, or anywhere else for that matter. Just yapping all day without swearing is bad enough, and you're well within your right I reckon to have a quiet word with them about it. We all like a bit of banter mind, nothing wrong with that, but there's a limit.

Sportsman

Site Supporter
I had the same thing happen to me last weekend. I was fishing a 7 acre day ticket water and, as is often the case, I was the only one there. Just before lunch two other (British) anglers arrived and set up on the opposite bank about 20m apart and then started talking/shouting at each other. Their language wasn't bad, but the noise was incessant and it did spoil the peace and calm that I usually enjoy at this venue., to the point where I packed up two hours earlier than I intended.
I could clearly hear what they were saying at a distance of 110.3m as measured on Google maps

Paulr70

Funny I measured it aswell I was 102 yards away according to Google map, wasn't far off my initial guess, I heard every word, burp and fart.
when I didn't have my ear buds in. I'd stop every now and then as I like to hear abit of wildlife, but literlly as soon as I removed them it was "f**king snag...this and that"...

the last two hours was bliss when they had left , on a lovely still day and my fishing picked up aswell.

davylad

Site Supporter
One of the blokes doesn't stop talking about The Beatles and in particular John Lennon when he's fishing, now I like both, but bloody ell I could go on Master Mind and not get a question wrong on the subject. He's a good bloke, but just doesn't realise how sound travels over water.

Capt Birdseye

Site Supporter
My noisy neighbours are the RAF, the stretch of beach at RAF Donna Nook is a target practice range and is quite close to my local fishery.
any sort of conversation is drowned out when 2 or 3 Typhoon aircraft are clipping the treetops !
Incidentally, it does put the fish off feeding !