Noise and Vibration

Line Clip

Do you think fish can pickup the sound of anglers shouting to one another across the water ( banter peg to peg etc )
or is it the vibration and sight that is more of a fish turn off.
Fished a match last summer, catching well in the margin, starts to rain and the angler next peg hammers is brolly pole
in, bow waves from the margin, fish gone. This was on small 30 peg pool, suppose the bigger waters less of a problem
Whats your experience whilst fishing a match, does it put them off.

Yuccaman

I like fishing.
Staff member
Site Supporter
Vibrations, yes - that's what the lateral line does and swimming away from that hammering is just survival instinct. In terms of voices and movement etc, I imagine that on a commercial when it is busy in the summer for example and it is pretty usual for the fish to experience, it probably doesn't make much difference. If you are on a little natural stream, and it's unusual, then yes.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
went down to aldergate on the canal one afternoon for a look see as too fishing the next day

parked up on the bridge, got out the van and let himself loose for a run,

started looking over the edge of the bridge and as I did the wind caught the van door and slammed it shut

the water erupted with the roach that had been sunning themselves up in the water, for a good fifty yards up from the bridge

so they definately feel vibrations,

nowadays Im far more wary when driving down there

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
Is that why Scribe (Kevin) has caught anymore Barbel, because of falling in.
Bloody chance to go Barbel fishing would help........:cry::cry: keep seeing reports on Facebook from anglers that have caught Winter bars of gold from the Trent, causing much gnashing of teeth and rendering of fine cloth. Bloody Covid a Chinese takeaway that made the whole world ill !

Have made it part of my setup routine now get seatbox down and everything organised on it, work away from the waters edge and minimise noise where possible, I would think that bankside / water physical vibration would have an immediate effect, whereas airborne voices to a far lesser degree if a frequent occurence.

I have had carp literally underneath the platform I am on, and a sudden movement can cause a bow wave away. Fortunately this didnlt happen yesterday when I noticed the reeds directly in front of the platform moving. Aha thinks I the carp have moved in to the feed I put out. I very slowly reached for the margin top kit added a banded maggot (yes really) slowly moved the top kit and dropped the a metre away from the edge and drew it back in. slight wobble of the float and bang there it was gone. :D Fantastic fight from a 6 Lb Ghostie (why do they fight harder than other carp Lb for Lb ?) followed by a 9 - 10 Lb common. All managed without falling in once.....:D:D

Last edited:

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
I've found little reason for dealing in absolutes. It can all depend on the water in question and may vary from time to time on that water. I've been fishing a big stillwater which is deep and (usually) clear. Most of the time, the slightest mis-step will spook the fish. A shadow on the water, a heavy footfall or even a goose flying overhead can do it. However, on the same water, I've actually seen fish come to investigate weed raking and bank work (trees being chopped down, stakes being hammered in etc) being carried out.

I will always err on the side of caution, especially on a quiet water. However, without being silly, I'd be slightly less wary on busier waters.

rudd

Site Supporter
Those that think shouting or even talking make no difference are fools.
Sound is a vibration that propagates into an acoustic wave that can travel through a transmition medium be it gas, liquid or a solid.
So in answer to line clip - yes as noise and vibration are basically the same thing.
Its possible that fish also hear sounds(vibrations) outside of the 20hz to 20khz frequencies humans can hear.

I use gardner ATTS alarms that do do have sounders in the head units (all through receiver) for this very reason as I do alot of close range fishing. An alarm sound can easily send vibrations down the line - much like the cup/string/cup experiment all kids do at primary school.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
There's a constant hum of white noise on the weir I fish so I think that acts as a muffler and as such you don't have to be as quiet as at some other places but I'm still careful.

squimp

Site Supporter
Famous angling and wildlife author ‘BB’ had it right:

’Be quiet and go a angling’, he actually published it under a pseudonym.