No wonder I get tired!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Aug27th/30th
One Busy Time!

Its taken me this long to post a busy and not brilliant week, but I feel I have learned and absorbed more this week than for a long time!

Ill start with a match at a new untried venue, Coopers Pond, just up the road from our Trent Section.

Heres a view of the Coopers Arms, a well-known Pub Grub favourite locally, overlooking the Lake.

Datafile.jpg

Theres Mark, 2nd from left with Teepees mate and the other view is as below.

Datafile.jpg

I came 5th with a single Barbel of 8ozs, caught 12 from the surface in 7ft of water!
Red-hot day, and no fish for anyone, except an all Roach catch of 5lbs!
When will we get carp hole fishing?
Has MALC been here?

No Cows and Waxy even wouldnt have found a Sheep, but the obligatory Rod bag eating visitor nearly succeeded!
Datafile.jpg

I excelled myself in forgetting both box and chair, so sat on the bank!
BUT, I did manage to photo this superbly coloured metallic blue dragonfly!
Thats the sort Im used to John!

Datafile.jpg

Well that evening, I desperately needed to catch a proper fish, so I decided to fish the Trent all night again!
Mark decided to see I was all right and here he is trotting the stick through Peg1

Datafile.jpg
Well, by the river, I was fine as usual and you can see, I was well set up with only the fish required to play.

Datafile.jpg

Unfortunately that didnt happen, as I fished badly on the incredible boilies that Mark had given me earlier. The river needs a touch more water.
I also had my dead bait rod out down the left hand side, hoping for a Perch during daylight, or a Pike at night.
This swim is famous for a match, when Norman (our treasurer) weighed in just over 8lbs of Perch.
Not very good you might say? BUT he only had 2 fish!
Both over 4lbs, I would be happy with just one!

During the night, just after 12.00 the buzzer sounded on my Boilie rod and I picked it up quickly!
A screaming run, but it was just like the Dove! Unstoppable!
A smashed hooklength and a bemused feeling of the power it had generated!
Later Mark felt that it might have been a Carp, which are increasingly reported in the Trent.
Please remember that just upstream from us, a carp has been landed weighing 44lbs.
Yes 44lbs! and these are fighting River fish!

I was content, as I had caught Perch, Roach and small chub on the stick with Mark in the daylight. (Although he had caught more than I, and after Dawn I caught a few more, leaving at around 9.30.
But what a Dawn

Datafile.jpg

Clear and cold, with the warmer water steaming and a red glow in the sky! And so to home and looking forward to joining all the PAD boys back at this water tomorrow morning at 10.00 am.

Why, because the Maggotdrowners are coming and the boys have such pride in their water and Pegs that they had called for a peg clean up prior to the event.

So a working party of disabled people met at 10.00 am Thursday morning, some unable to do anything, but there to give moral support.

The 1st thing I was told was to keep out of the way icon_smile_big.gif followed by Mark giving me a cracking Browning reel to use for the Stick, as he didnt like the clutch on mine and thought I would fish better with this!
Thank you Mark, Ill try and justify it.

Here he is on the strimmer!

Datafile.jpg

While Barry (white T-shirt) our chairman and John (match secretary) are on the other.
Datafile.jpg

Treasurer Norman for moral support

Datafile.jpg

While Chris, under bailiff (operation on elbow just 4 weeks ago) gets down to the reeds!

Datafile.jpg

Chris

And Phil acts as the anchorman!

Datafile.jpg
They create a few floating reed hazards

Datafile.jpg

But everything ends up like this and ready for us!

Datafile.jpg
When the lads had finally done, Mark ordered me off the lake where I had been using the rake for dragging weed out of the swim in front of platform 1 and sent me off to fish!

I had decided to fish Peg 2 on the river (Yes Martin, your peg) to see if the Barbel had moved here.
I also ran a stick float through, to catch dead bait and again attempt to find the large Perch.
Well, I found the Perch OK, but all from 4 to 12 ozs on the stick!
Although Perch will happily take their own, I was told that they responded better to Silver fish, so persisted in trying for a small Roach, Bream, Dace, or Chub.

Around 6.00pm, I decided to move to peg1 as I had caught these there 2 days before and I did not want to wait much longer as Perch feed only in daylight.
I also could not fish beyond 3.00 am as my car was booked in for a new exhaust at 8.30 and I had an appointment at 1.00 with Macmillans.

So, I moved the 30 or so yards!

Running the stick through, IU fed up the swim and again caught 3 or 4 Perch, when suddenly the Stick dived under and I struck into another fish!
And what a fish!

From the fight on this lighter tackle (5lb line on my gifted reel, 4lb bottom to a 16 hook)
I had connected with a barbel!

However, this reel had a correctly set clutch!
Slowly and surely over the next few minutes, I guided the fish to the platform.

Finally, I brought it up to the surface and sure enough, a Barbel of 4 to 5 lbs guesstimate!
However!

Mind full of small silver fish, I had gone to the peg and omitted to take the landing net!

Cardinal sin No. 1!

I was now in a quandary.
Either play the fish longer and bring it to the point of exhaustion and then drop the rod with the bale arm open, run for the net and hope to keep it on!
Or
Try and lift it out of the water some 5 feet below me.

I choose the second option as best for the fish and naturally, the minute I attempted to lift it, it shook its head, shed the barbless hook and dived happily away!
So another lost Barbel due to stupidity!

I collected the net and ironically latched into a 2 oz Roach 2 trots later!

Now I was torn by returning to Peg2 and try for Perch, or continue with the stick for another Barbel!
Yes the Barbel won again, as I now had only an hour or so of daylight and the fight had only really been lost on a technicality as the boxing fraternity would say.

Wrong again! Several more perch, roach and small chub, but no more Barbel, before impending darkness sent me back to prepare for my night fishing with the wonder boilies.

Mark rang to check on my progress about 9.30 pm and then informed me that he had contacted Archie Braddock about our Barbel on Bob Roberts Boilies and that both Archie and Bob, together with Roger (the other guy that regularly fishes with Archie) were all coming down for an evening and late night session on the Friday and would I like to join them!

You can imagine my answer, as I have been an avid follower of Archies Website since John Esox highlighted it for me and you may recall that Archie was responsible for directing me to the PAD club.
I was delighted at the prospect of meeting him and Bob Roberts, former Editor of Advanced Carp and now a Daiwa Consultant!

So, It may have been because I was wrapped up in thinking of this, that I committed Cardinal sin No.2

Everything was in place on my Barbel Rod, with a betalite clip on indicator and the magic Boilie on a hair rig.
At 11.15, the tip went round with such violence that I literally threw myself at the rod to save it disappearing into the Trent, skinning my left knee on the platform as I did so!
Ouch!

I felt the fish for just a moment and on retrieving the Terminal Tackle, found the hook nearly straightened!
I ruefully changed up to a stronger, larger hook and cast out again.

The next wait was longer, 2.20 and it happened all over again, with the exception of knee damage this time and without the hook coming back at all!
Enough was enough and I decided to call it a day!

The only other incident to note was that in collecting my gear from my towel and packing it away, my spare batteries rolled off the towel and straight between the space between 2 slats, into the water beneath!

A word of warning to all who attend the Trent Fish-in.
Anything that can possibly slip between those platform planks WILL do so!

Driving home, I thought of the events of the night and realised why I had lost those 2 fish!

I had not set the baitrunner on!

Dont ask me why!
I always do set it after my Dove experiences.
Tired, wrapped up in thoughts? I really dont know, but simply by fishing better, I could have been reporting 3 extra Barbel today.

As it was, I had enjoyed the day tremendously and now had Archie and Bob to meet on Friday evening!

How did that go?

Tell you tomorrow!

Cheers

Trev

Ziptrev
Enough! I'm off!

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
Damsel Fly Trev Damsel Fly come in greens and blues. Dragon Fly is the BIG brown job. Your wetting my appetite for the fish in I wasnt going to put the carp gear in but I will have to give that some thought now a river carp still is still on my list. It might even be a case of B****r the beer and barbie and fish lol.
One further point the directions finish in the village is there any more directions to the actuall stretch TIA John

chill out go fishing

AndyA

That's another cracking post Ziptrev , you write for a magazine ?.

quote:I had not set the baitrunner on!

I'm a newbie to fishing and I don't really know what a bitrunner does , can anyone explain it to me ?

cheers

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Andy,
"baitrunner " reels have a secondary drag/clutch that is activated by a lever at the back of the reel.
When the baitrunner lever is pushed forward the normal drag system is completely by-passed. A fish picking up the bait can make an almost friction free run, until the angler flips the lever back, or turns the reel handle, to bring the reel into striking mode.

Peter.

Make Friends,Go Maggotdrowning.

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Thanks Peter,
Andy,
What Peter says is 100% correct and the Baitrunner can be used to present an almost totally frictionless free run, (you use it usually in conjunction with a drop-off /drop back, or buzzer run indicator, for resistance wary fish, like carp or Perch,see next post)
OR, as I had been targetting Barbel, set the baitrunner clutch to act as a 'semi-bolt rig, so when it bangs into the bait with the Barbels customary violence, it hooks itself, but can then pull the line off, without yanking the rod into the water as nearly happened to me!
You should see my skinned knee, diving to save it!icon_smile_big.gif
Like you, I am re-learning fishing, have learnt all this, but as the lads will tell you, rarely get it right for a while!
Next time!
I am convinced I lost my first double Barbel thursday night LOL, but watch this space!

John,
village is very small, full signposts and directions in a week or 2 on a print-easy seperate post!
(Pretty, metallic blue damel fly though! How do they evolve into the 4 winged version? the blue and Emerald Green version ?and why are they half the size of those frightening looking Dun Brown ones that you call the Dragon fly?)

Cheers

Trev

Ziptrev
Enough! I'm off!

Edited by - Ziptrev on 01 September 2002 03:33:46 AM

MALC

quote:When will we get carp hole fishing?
Has MALC been here?

Trev,

The force is strong.

Great read

Malc
Fish with Friends @ MaggotDrowning.com

AndyA

Thanks Peter & Ziptrev for the baitrunner info.

I've recently taken up Carp fishing and I don't have a baitrunner on either of my reels but they do have adjustable clutches, do you reckon that will do for general use ?(1 rod only on a bite alarm + ledger) or would I be better off by having the bite alarm combo setup with the reel on line payout ?.

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Andy,
Set the rod up with the clutch correctly set for your line strength.
(Don't lose fish with too tight a clutch or mess about if its too loose, like what I do LOL)
Put the Buzzer up and set up a drop off indicator and leave the Bale Arm open.
Any run and the fish will take line, NOT take the rod.
If your only fishing the 1 rod and staying close, thats a perfectly adequete set-up.

Cheers

Trev

Ziptrev
Enough! I'm off!

G

Trev a big thanks to the members for the work party,

Great picture of the dawn mate, if life looked like that what a place it would be mate.

Great report Trev, now i know why you get tired.

Thanks again for the peg clean up, looking forward to the fish in.

i'm going to bait up
Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.