No tangle gel.

TrickyD

Regular member
Site Supporter
Joined
Jun 18, 2018
Messages
3,832
Has anyone used this (for stiffening braid hooklengths) or anything similar, would PVA glue work ?
 

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
Joined
Dec 3, 2002
Messages
3,951
why not use a coated braid? much less risk of damage with a coated braid in any case and you can get soft, semi stiff or stiff and if you want no tangles use a flouro or stiff boom section
 

TrickyD

Regular member
Site Supporter
Joined
Jun 18, 2018
Messages
3,832
I use coated braid, I just thought something that could stiffen it for casting, but would soften once in the water. I tried PVA glue as an experiment at home, braid gets fairly stiff & softens in water, just not sure if it would have an effect on the braid, or put fish off, as it is polyvinyl acetate & not polyvinyl alcohol as used in PVA bags/mesh.
 

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
Joined
Dec 3, 2002
Messages
3,951
i doubt it would put them off as we use PVA for lots of things, i use soft coated braids for 90% of my fishing and never have tangles, for the other 10% i use the hinged stiff rig, are you suffering from tangles is that why you want stiffer for the cast? if you are then first make sure you hit the clip so it straightens and also put rig foam on the hook
 

TrickyD

Regular member
Site Supporter
Joined
Jun 18, 2018
Messages
3,832
i doubt it would put them off as we use PVA for lots of things, i use soft coated braids for 90% of my fishing and never have tangles, for the other 10% i use the hinged stiff rig, are you suffering from tangles is that why you want stiffer for the cast? if you are then first make sure you hit the clip so it straightens and also put rig foam on the hook
More a confidence thing really. Have had occasional tangles,not many, but there's always that nagging doubt- is it or isn't it ? Made up some fairly long (30") rigs with Rigmarole skinfull for the Thames this week, will see how it performs.
 
Top