No picture - doesn’t count (or does it ???)

OldTaff

Site Supporter
It’s typical - quick half hour lunchtime session on the Medway at Ringlestone, hemp & caster: bleak, roach, bleat, roach, perch and so on.

Switch to a dead white maggot from the casters tub, big lift bite, stretched elastic, quickly into the net and a stunning roach - then that stupid moment of patting all the pockets in my cargo trousers and the cold realisation my phone (hence camera) is still in my locker in work :eek:

Thankfully my digital scale was in my little travel tackle box and the magic numbers of fish & net minus net came out at 1lb 3ozs - what a stunning fish but I’m going to rue not having my phone to hand to record it. It was scale perfect. Aaarrrrggghhh.

Karl

Cobweb

Site Supporter
It’s typical - quick half hour lunchtime session on the Medway at Ringlestone, hemp & caster: bleak, roach, bleat, roach, perch and so on.

Switch to a dead white maggot from the casters tub, big lift bite, stretched elastic, quickly into the net and a stunning roach - then that stupid moment of patting all the pockets in my cargo trousers and the cold realisation my phone (hence camera) is still in my locker in work :eek:

Thankfully my digital scale was in my little travel tackle box and the magic numbers of fish & net minus net came out at 1lb 3ozs - what a stunning fish but I’m going to rue not having my phone to hand to record it. It was scale perfect. Aaarrrrggghhh.

Karl
Never had a roach that size out of that stretch. Nice catch

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Very very nice Roach. Well done that man. We believe you. I thought you were going to say that you'd dropped your phone in the water. 😲

Well done OldTaff. 👍

Deejay8

Site Supporter
It still counts. You did catch it, and it will live in your memory. A lack of a photo doesn't change that.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
It’s made me want to spend a lot more time on the river - today was a swim 100 yds closer to town than I’ve previously fished with no boats opposite but a lovely overhanging tree to my left. Warm and very overcast but not a breath of wind making it perfect.

Also making me think about saving up & investing in a tidy short match pole since trying to fish a 5m telescopic whip to hand under a tree isn’t straightforward whereas a pole would give me far more flexibility.

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
Seeing as though you took the time to write this forum post about your experience; I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

Unlike the guy who 'runs' my local pond that claims he caught a 30LB carp in there that none of the 100+ Members including myself have ever seen in their entire life. Ironically, He too has no picture proof. :D

squimp

Site Supporter
Sounds like a decent fish, well done.

photos are fine - but they don’t tell the whole story. As I’ve said before I fish with a pro photographer and he can make fish look much bigger (or smaller) simply by altering how he takes the picture.

ano example. I caught a big pike last weekend. As I’ve not caught any big pike for ages I estimated it at 25lb. I took a (rubbish) picture of it lying on an unhooking mat and then I weighed it on a set of cheap digital scales. If I showed you the photo and said it was 25lb you might well believe me....

but the scales only said 19. I checked them when i got home and they are accurate. So it was my estimate that was out.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Been told that if theres no piccies, it didnt happen

(saves me a couple of hours now, spent writing up a descriptive, well constructed, interesting report of my days out, matches fished)

rudd

Site Supporter
Been told that if theres no piccies, it didnt happen

(saves me a couple of hours now, spent writing up a descriptive, well constructed, interesting report of my days out, matches fished)
Thats means I have not caught a fish all year - in my imagination I have - off to see a head doctor 😬

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Seriously, after sitting down and crafting a relitively detailed, well thought out piece of prose about a day out, took a fair bit of time, thought and detail, not only did I have the presumption to think it may have provided a bit of entertainment but it was also a record for me to flit back to as a reference

to be told that if it didnt contain a photograph or similar, it didnt happen, kinda rankled, therin being an awkward miserable old git, I left it at that

being as I have always struggled with tech stuff and the bloody camera would go off after just a couple of shots due to battery problems, didnt help matters either, I tried and failed so never tried again

people forget, Im a carpenter, you want a house built, or fitted out, yep I can do that, but tech skills passed me bye

up until the time that the photo comments started appearing, with the amount of read totals, likes, traffic to this site from other sites following links, I had the idea that I mighta been doing summat right with the story lines, construction and description

one day I might find the magic way of installing pixels in the process but until then, I just fill in my old school diary for reference as to the day went

SeanB

Site Supporter
I think pictures can add an extra level of interest to reports but certainly wouldn't avoid reading a post because it didn't contain any.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Mick ffs it's a bit of a laugh, have the boat people stolen your senses of humour as well as your lands ;)

Do a piece of your poetic prose and I'll add it as a feature to the Home page - with or without pictures :)

rudd

Site Supporter
Heres a picture of average catch this year, may change my name to Theblanker: 1599215084285-1167783747.jpg

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Sounds like a lovely fish. My photos are usually blurry, poorly thought out, and quickly taken but it's nice to have memories of your catch as well as being able to share it so I feel your pain. My phone battery always seems to run flat when I'm fishing in a place with no signal so I've started taking a battery pack to make sure I get those photos!