No More Tares Soup

Truly

Site Supporter
Having been away for so long, I had to relearn how to prepare hemp and tares for roach fishing. I had always used the soak then simmer method, which worked well for the hemp, however the tares were problematic.

It didn't matter how closely I watched the simmering pan, some were always over-cooked, split and squishy.

I have been enjoying Mark Wintle's Roach Reflections and noted his method of preparing tares, so with nothing to do yesterday evening, I gave it a try.
I hadn't got any iron tablets, so used bicarb instead.

Half a measuring cup of un-soaked tares in a .75l flask, teaspoon of bicarb, topped up to 3/4 full with boiling water and left overnight.

Result this morning is perfectly cooked tares, no splits, just right to squash between finger and thumb and very dark in colour.
I am a convert (y) :D

Davethefish

Site Supporter
Having been away for so long, I had to relearn how to prepare hemp and tares for roach fishing. I had always used the soak then simmer method, which worked well for the hemp, however the tares were problematic.

It didn't matter how closely I watched the simmering pan, some were always over-cooked, split and squishy.

I have been enjoying Mark Wintle's Roach Reflections and noted his method of preparing tares, so with nothing to do yesterday evening, I gave it a try.
I hadn't got any iron tablets, so used bicarb instead.

Half a measuring cup of un-soaked tares in a .75l flask, teaspoon of bicarb, topped up to 3/4 full with boiling water and left overnight.

Result this morning is perfectly cooked tares, no splits, just right to squash between finger and thumb and very dark in colour.
I am a convert (y) :D
If preparing larger amounts of hemp I do a similar process but in a rigid coolbox. Beats all those smells of old when it used to be boiled on the stove !

Truly

Site Supporter
Very interesting thanks Dave. Can you give a bit more detail please ? What quantities ? Do you soak the hemp first etc. ?
No smell in the kitchen would definitely score brownie points with my wife.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Very interesting thanks Dave. Can you give a bit more detail please ? What quantities ? Do you soak the hemp first etc. ?
Hemp should always be soaked first, preferably for around 24 hours

then brought to the boil, reduced to simmer, and then its a matter of keeping a good eye on it, as soon as any splits show, remove it from the heat and leave to cool, I then transfer them to 1 litre ice cream tubs, put aside what I want to use and the rest goes in the freezer

with tare, your not looking for splits, I find that if I pick out a grain or two and squich them on my thumbnail you get to know whats just right, you dont want them too soft

I always cook far too much tare, you really dont need that much for a day as hookers, as david said, freeze them down,

Davethefish

Site Supporter
Do them a day or so before, about a third of the container of hemp ( I've never found the need to soak beforehand when doing it this way ), top up the container with boiling water from the kettle, chuck a few iron tablets from the pound shop in and lid on for 24hrs. Sieve out what you need and freeze the rest in batches with a little of the hemp water ( not too much ). I hasten to add that this is for feed purposes. If using for the hook it's back to the stove to get them just right but as I use Tares on the hook the flask method described in Mr wintle's book sorts me out there. If fishing for a week I leave it in the coolbox and it starts to ferment nicely over a few days. Honks a bit by the end of the week but the fish appreciate it !

rudd

Site Supporter
I do like the overnight flask method, use it for hemp, wheat and partiblend.

Trouble is it takes a week to get five pints 😁

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Do them a day or so before, about a third of the container of hemp ( I've never found the need to soak beforehand when doing it this way ), top up the container with boiling water from the kettle, chuck a few iron tablets from the pound shop in and lid on for 24hrs. Sieve out what you need and freeze the rest in batches with a little of the hemp water ( not too much ). I hasten to add that this is for feed purposes. If using for the hook it's back to the stove to get them just right but as I use Tares on the hook the flask method described in Mr wintle's book sorts me out there. If fishing for a week I leave it in the coolbox and it starts to ferment nicely over a few days. Honks a bit by the end of the week but the fish appreciate it !
My old Mate Mick kipling used to swear by femented hemp as feed

his had a horrible grey green crust on the top of his storage pot

adriang

Site Supporter
I keep the water from boiling hemp, and then use that, heated to boiling in the microwave, for making my tares in an old flask. I think I got that tip from on here.

adriang

Site Supporter
Easiest option is to just use hemp, works better anyway.
for us "old 'uns", tares are slightly less fiddly... Although I did see the Facebook video from Sir Bob, where he shows how he prepares hemp for a kind of hair rig hooking where he threads and ties off white thread, and that is what he hooks into. Thats one I will try.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
for us "old 'uns", tares are slightly less fiddly... Although I did see the Facebook video from Sir Bob, where he shows how he prepares hemp for a kind of hair rig hooking where he threads and ties off white thread, and that is what he hooks into. Thats one I will try.
If you can suss out hooking hemp it definitely works better. I had always suspected it did as I always did a bit better on it than tares then this season has proved it to me. I've fished a lot more than usual and I used hemp exclusively over tares and not only have my results just generally been better on average than in the past but also early on in the season my grandad used tares and I out caught him by half as much again. Well got to allow a bit for that he doesn't fish as hard as me these days but still probably quarter as much again if you factor that in. Yet when he switched to hemp late summer after watching me do better on it for long enough to be beyond fluke his catches went up to the point he'd almost caught up with me.

Tares can obviously still be brilliant on their day but when I have had good days on them in the past it's always been small very dark ones (e.g closer to hemp) which isn't something you can get every time. I've also found 4mm dark coloured softer hooker pellets are pretty much equal to your average tare (although not as good as the small really dark ones) as any easy hooking bait to use with hemp. I always have a pot of them with me for the odd occasion you get a batch of hemp that's a bit flaky.

adriang

Site Supporter
I've also found 4mm dark coloured softer hooker pellets are pretty much equal to your average tare (although not as good as the small really dark ones) as any easy hooking bait to use with hemp. I always have a pot of them with me for the odd occasion you get a batch of hemp that's a bit flaky.
I bought some of the pellets after your tip, but never actually used them. I did get very 'hung up' on fishing temp and tares right up into October this year.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I bought some of the pellets after your tip, but never actually used them. I did get very 'hung up' on fishing temp and tares right up into October this year.
It is addictive isn't it! I started catching on hemp in late June but it was July, August and September that it really worked best for me. It did work in October but not to the extent that it did in the summer and bleak were less of an issue then I so used hemp and maggot pretty interchangeably then after pretty much all hemp in the summer. Had pretty good quality hemp throughout this season so only had to resort to pellets a couple times but they do work pretty well.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Try telling Mac Willis tares are no good! I love fishing tares as they produce some big roach at times, not bothered about catching just lots of hand-sized fish.
Didn't say no good just that in my experience for catching a decent number of mostly say roughly 3-8oz roach hemp almost always betters tares unless you've got perfect tares. I wouldn't say I get any less bonus sized ones on hemp either but then we don't have that many bonus sized ones here.

matiny2k

I just use a Pyrex dish with a lid on. Tares inside, cover with water. 30 to 35 minutes in the microwave and done. Usually a bit quicker if they've been soaked.

davylad

I'm also a big fan of Tares if fishing for roach, my old mate used to do his in the flask overnight and were perfect, but it just didn't work for me, they were either over cooked or under done. I prefer to casserole them, then put them in batches for the freezer. When it was rod and line before pole fishing became popular, it was critical to have them right, but you can get away with them being a little softer with the pole. It's mainly a summer / autumn method, but on some venues we catch in the winter with them.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hemp and tare are not just for roach though

Carp love em, manys the time when Ive been after the forgotten silvers in commie lakes and have fed hemp while fishing either tare or hemp ion the hook, only to have the puddle pigs home in and ruin the day, pushing out the intended target