NO MATCH FISHING FROM THURSDAY

genesis

Account Locked
Update from Angling Trust regards fishing and match fishing. Which fisheries will break the rules?

fish safely, locally and respect the ‘rule of two’ during lockdown​

04 November 2020
Fish safely, locally and respect the ‘rule of two’ during lockdown
Having now examined the government’s new Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (England) (No. 4) Regulations the Angling Trust is pleased to be able to offer some initial guidance and interpretation to anglers and fishery providers. Our formal guidelines will be published following further consultation with colleagues at Sport England and DCMS once Parliament has debated the regulations today and passed them into law.
Overall the Angling Trust is pleased that ministers have recognised the value of allowing angling and some other forms of outdoor recreation to continue through the forthcoming lockdown period. However, the new rules are more complicated than we had hoped and anglers should be fully aware of what we can and can’t do in the next 28 days.
How to Fish
The regulations are clear and you can only leave home to fish with members of your own household, your support bubble or with one other individual. The Rule of Six is now effectively the Rule of Two for most of us. The tightening of the rules on ‘gatherings’ means that match fishing or any other organised fishing event is prohibited by law during lockdown. However, competitive fishing will be able to resume once there is a return to the three tier system of restrictions.
On this basis we can announce that all Angling Trust competitions are suspended for the period covering 5th November – 2nd December 2020.
Where to Fish
Angling is deemed a permissible form of ‘outdoor recreation’, and a lawful reason to leave home. It can take place, without time limits, within the provision allowing people “to visit a public outdoor space for the purposes of open air recreation”.
A ‘public outdoor space’ is defined as an ‘outdoor place to which the public have, or are permitted, access (whether on payment or otherwise).’ We believe this clearly includes riverbanks, towpaths, beaches and stillwaters that can either be accessed freely or on the payment of a day ticket or subscription levied by the owner or leased to a publicly available fishing association. The government clearly intends for people to be able to take their outdoor exercise and recreation in the form of angling and these regulations allow this to occur.
Fisheries are not on the published list of businesses that the government has ordered to close and there is no reason that they should do so providing that they operate in accordance with the rules
It does not permit club outings or organised amateur sporting activities of any sort. All indoor or social facilities in any way connected with a fishing venue must close or refer to the relevant Government guidance. Fishing tackle shops, whether onsite or not, can only operate a ‘click and collect’ service.
Travelling to fish
Whilst the government have chosen not to write their travel guidance into law we are urging anglers to respect the advice which states that it is permissible to travel in order to:
“to spend time or exercise outdoors – this should be done locally wherever possible, but you can travel to do so if necessary (for example, to access an open space)”
Put simply, you can travel to go fishing but long journeys should be avoided ‘wherever possible’. Sea anglers should focus on their local beaches and fishing marks and freshwater anglers should not be travelling hundreds of miles in search of fishing during lockdown. It is up to the individual to apply common sense and act within the spirit of the government’s guidance. You absolutely cannot leave home to fish if you have Coronavirus symptoms or are self-isolating.
How long to fish
There are no limits on the time that can be spent on outdoor recreation which means that anglers are able to continue fishing into and through the hours of darkness providing the other rules are observed.
Fishery Management
Essential fishery management work, which clearly cannot be undertaken from home, can continue as can any necessary, socially distanced working parties fall within the provisions for ‘voluntary work’. Appropriate risk assessments must be in place and numbers should sensibly managed.
Summary
This is going to be an extremely difficult period for everybody and as anglers we must recognise that we are fortunate that our chosen form of recreation can continue even though there are restrictions on what we can do. The Angling Trust made the case for fishing based on the health and wellbeing benefits that angling offers coupled with the importance of reducing pressure on other open spaces by allowing us to continue to safely enjoy the social isolation and peace that fishing brings. It is incumbent on us all to continue to act responsibly and to fish safely, fish locally and respect the Rule of Two.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I've just read it elsewhere and printed it off. I've now got to make and print some signs to put round the lakes so the club members will know.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Can I stick my neck out here and say name and shame the fisheries that break the rules this time?

Everyone knows the situation out there, everyone knows of the lockdown, most anglers and most fisheries will know the rules by the close of play this week, so no excuses.
Let's see everyone sticking together on this, anglers and fisheries alike, and if they can't make them public!

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Can I stick my neck out here and say name and shame the fisheries that break the rules this time?

Everyone knows the situation out there, everyone knows of the lockdown, most anglers and most fisheries will know the rules by the close of play this week, so no excuses.
Let's see everyone sticking together on this, anglers and fisheries alike, and if they can't make them public!

Totally agree with that. Name and shame. (y)

genesis

Account Locked

We had this last time with a few named. Now I know for a fact that my mate is booked onto a match at the weekend at a fishery up the A19 above York. He booked on yesterday. Yet to see if it has any matches after tonight but apparently they did during last lockdown.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
We had this last time with a few named. Now I know for a fact that my mate is booked onto a match at the weekend at a fishery up the A19 above York. He booked on yesterday. Yet to see if it has any matches after tonight but apparently they did during last lockdown.

my club is awaiting on confirmation from the AT but I expect angling on some sections of the canal and all matches will be cancelled

tis a pity really as we are to hold the first silvers match on the newish club pond on sunday week, would of been nice to see how it responded with all pegs in, though I had already sacked my place off

there allus another time

spudnudd

Should have named and shamed last time i know of one that jumped the gun before lockdown was lifted i will be watching them.

dry nets

apprentice stormtrooper
Site Supporter
If we are policing fishery’s during lockdown, can I have a pair of handcuffs and a gun? I don’t need hi vis, already got one

spudnudd

Be nice to see the tackle confiscated i'm sure they would do that in certain european countries.

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
so im asking for a friend. Ive read the guidelines and i cannot find the his exact scenario documented so im presuming its ok as it doesnt state his exact scenario is banned.

Can my friend go fishing with his normal fishing buddy who is a 3rd cousin from his step-brothers side of the family who grew up as a adopted child of his fathers mother (though not legally adopted), my friend lives by himself but his buddy lives with a roommates during the week and then alternate weekends between his girlfriend and his bit on the side. Ive read that he can only fish during a full moon on a odd day of alternate months which have the letter R in them.

They do not match fish but travel in a taxi to the venue, their nets are always kept at the venue and they will walk alternative ways to their swims with one going clockwise and one anticlockwise, they normally swap swims after 2hrs to make the fishing fair and they work together during teh week so they believe that they are within their own single bubble (when my friend meets his GF he promises that he refrains from getting within 2 meters of her)

Thanks in advance

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Does he have a purple coat?

If yes the answer is dependent on his age the birthday before his next one

bluemack

Site Supporter
so im asking for a friend. Ive read the guidelines and i cannot find the his exact scenario documented so im presuming its ok as it doesnt state his exact scenario is banned.

Can my friend go fishing with his normal fishing buddy who is a 3rd cousin from his step-brothers side of the family who grew up as a adopted child of his fathers mother (though not legally adopted), my friend lives by himself but his buddy lives with a roommates during the week and then alternate weekends between his girlfriend and his bit on the side. Ive read that he can only fish during a full moon on a odd day of alternate months which have the letter R in them.

They do not match fish but travel in a taxi to the venue, their nets are always kept at the venue and they will walk alternative ways to their swims with one going clockwise and one anticlockwise, they normally swap swims after 2hrs to make the fishing fair and they work together during teh week so they believe that they are within their own single bubble (when my friend meets his GF he promises that he refrains from getting within 2 meters of her)

Thanks in advance
Yes mate ,that,s fine.

genesis

Account Locked
Here's one Lake View Fishery. Named and shamed.

Marker50

Site Supporter
Hope all rules are stuck to .
I did,nt expect to be allowed to go.
Dont want it to get mucked up.
Weather looks good all next week tad warmer and cloudy