No Lockdowns on canals?

Robwooly

Ok finally got fishing and wanted to do some short sessions on my local canal for my cobweb covered blog having not been since around Xmas and not wet a line proper since October. Whilst it was great to get out, it all got a bit tarnished by the actions of - I was going to say few but in all reality...... many.

I thought the towpath was busy last time out so headed for the opposite bank where I was a good 20-30ft away from a path near a cricket pitch. I was catching nicely and continued to catch despite the presence of loads of little children by my net picking out rushes, they then sat beside me on the floor making some sort plant based game. I looked around for the parents as these kids were too young to be out on their own. Even pre lockdown you would usually get a "Come away or you'll scare the fish" from mum and dad but when they did turn up they just left them to it. It's quite a well fished spot so I knew who'd get the blame if they sat on a hook. I carried on fishing uncomfortably and the kids finally left when the parents did a second lap of the cricket pitch, they said nothing to me nor the kids.

Peace and quiet was soon shattered again by the next set of hipster toddlers who I had to tell not to touch my rod when they gathered round me, the parents were nonchalantly talking on the path behind, I was this close to giving them an earful that my dad is shielding and now I can't really go over there tomorrow as I have just been within a metre of the severn dwarfes. Once again even pre or post lockdown it was too close. They finally went but not before one of the mums asked Archie or whatever his name was if he could come with them, she didn't tell she the asked, really she almost begged him. I've seen this with out of control dogs but not so much with kids, what is it with middle class parents? They finally went but no apology for the space invasion no goodbye and not once did they tell their kids anything, I just imagined them in the shops, the little covid spreaders roaming around uncontrolled.

Next up an old boy with a dog tells me how he had a cyclist offer him out as they almost collided, no bell and scared the heck out of him, all he said was "Cheers mate" and suddenly this oik wanted to punch the OAP. This was the towpath summed up. On my walks along it joggers brush past, cyclists came out of nowhere and people two abreast wont tuck in going past you. I have a bit of banter and chat with a lot of people along there but some people just have no spacial awareness. I packed up as a group of around 20 hoodies played football on the cricket square behind me, they must have thought it was roped off for them, I walked down the towpath and it was like Oxford Street despite becoming dark, and all those previous towpath scenarios playing out again, I was actually relieved to finally reach the peace and quiet of the local high street.

So rant over, Lockdown over or in the case of the Canal it never existed.

BBear

Site Supporter
Well done for sticking it out, even in your ‘quiet’ spot. I wouldn’t want to go near a Canal at this time. You’re basically fishing on a busy footpath/cycle lane.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
your right about the middle class pretentious parents thing with their offspring

few years back, I had a job of work over to Littlebourne on a grade two with star listed A framed hall house, removing a wall and replacing it a metre or so further along, not only was the job a pain, being the heritage officer wanted the wall replaced as is with lathe and lime plaster plus all the associated work involved, before I changed the rooms use to an upstairs bathroom complete with toilet and drainage

The child of the parents was an absolute nightmare, never had I come across a kid like it, and it, not him was an operative description

after I had left for the evening, he would go into the room and mess with everything that had been done that day, even going as far as carving his name in the fresh wet plaster, requiring a shed load of work to repair

but I digress,

one morning, both parents there, the child from hell was required to get dressed, wash then accompany the male parent to the Barbers

I heard them downstairs talking to it, about what was going to happen that day, it denied that the trip was going to happen and proceeded to kick off, never in all my born days had I heard a child talk to his parents the way he was, eventually there was a proper fight going on, it was throwing things at the parents and eventually, the fight moved to the stairs, where I was working at the top of, the parents were trying to "talk" to him, he was actually kicking the mother who was on the stairs pleading with her little darling, and the father was still using the word please in his efforts to get it to comply

I just moved my tools, and shut the door of the room, isolating myself from the rage of the demented kid and the grovelling of the parents trying to get him to do what he should of done in the first place

Now I may be working class common, but I would of never dared to talk or treat my parents like that, my ass would have been sore for days if I even done a tenth of what I saw going on

when the job was done and the payment was in my hand, I did mention to the mother that "it" needed a thick ear or a thrashing

the look on her face was incredulous

nejohn

Site Supporter
I haven't fished my local canal since lock down started, partly because of some building work the flow and water levels in my very local part have been reduced making it almost unfishable and partly because of the increased towpath traffic, kids and dog walkers I can live with but the amount of cyclists has increased many times over with a constant flow of small and large groups.... The family out with the kids are not a problem as they are usually well behaved and give people space. It is the 'serious' cyclists that cause problems, they are generally travelling quite quickly and think that if they ring their bell everyone should move out of the way and let them pass and if you slow them down you are often given some abuse. Quite ironic really, so one day when out with Kathy, Abi and the dogs after having to step aside many times to allow groups to pass I deliberately didn't for one group, we were spread across the towpath at walking pace holding up a group of middle aged men in lycra. They became very impatient and then started suggesting we move aside to let them pass as they were moving faster than we were.... When I suggested to the one at the front of the pack that now he knows what it feels like when I come across a group of cyclists on the road when I am in the car.... He got more than a little touchy

alsur

Site Supporter
I live a few hundred yards from local canal and I'm pretty sure I would catch there but I've avoided it, to be honest haven't fished it for a few years as it's always busy but since covid it's been ridiculous.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Joys of public access waters sadly, I Holland I had people launching boats and swimming next to me while fishing a match.

R0B

There's no lockdown anywhere anymore. Since the "roadmap" announcement people have been acting like it's all over and they can do as they please. I have seen lots of groups meeting up "Monday, 29 March" style already and just generally a lot more traffic and movement.

RMNDIL

Joys of public access waters sadly, I Holland I had people launching boats and swimming next to me while fishing a match.
You didn't have to go to Holland. Come to Oxford. You can experience that. Regularly !

That's why I cannot be bothered to fish many places locally as, over the years, they have just become a total pain. It's a recipe for hassle that you simply don't need.

Zerkalo

It seems it's difficult to win on canals unless in the middle of nowhere, either spoiled kids or dangerous yobs depending on area, though my brother in law told me he saw a load of pins and tacks on the towpath near me, presumably someone doesn't like cyclists either or just someone messing about.

R0B

The problem is mainly selfish people who think they're more important than others. Everyone has a right to use the towpath, walkers, jogger, cyclists, anglers and the poor sods that actually live on the boats. Just some people can't do it without being a d*ck to others because they're doing something different to them. Small children and dogs can be a pain purely because the owners DGAF. Never work with children or animals!

I avoid crowded and popular places, used to do a lot of roving lure fishing on the GUC which is fine as if it's uncomfortable you just walk on. I'd never rock up with a trolley full and a pole to some of those places though it would be like trying to practise pendulum casting in Oxford St on black Friday.
Rob wasn't even on the actual towpath yet he still got grief! crazy.

Anyway it'll soon be quiet when they're all back to school and work or on holiday in Tuscany/Blackpool.

Whisker

Site Supporter
There's no lockdown anywhere anymore. Since the "roadmap" announcement people have been acting like it's all over and they can do as they please. I have seen lots of groups meeting up "Monday, 29 March" style already and just generally a lot more traffic and movement.
I was going to write almost exactly the same. This and the fact there’s blue skies and sunshine for the first time in weeks.

Forget the gradual opening up and the 5 weeks in between each step. It’s going to be a free for all... 🙄

I only hope I get my jab before I get fluffin’ COVID!

runningman

Site Supporter
i was fishing the mole yesterday it was like the m25 along the bank, finally gave up when 3 women decided to started having a picnic next to where I was fishing and then put their dance music on. That was time to call it a day .

woodbutcher

your right about the middle class pretentious parents thing with their offspring

few years back, I had a job of work over to Littlebourne on a grade two with star listed A framed hall house, removing a wall and replacing it a metre or so further along, not only was the job a pain, being the heritage officer wanted the wall replaced as is with lathe and lime plaster plus all the associated work involved, before I changed the rooms use to an upstairs bathroom complete with toilet and drainage

The child of the parents was an absolute nightmare, never had I come across a kid like it, and it, not him was an operative description

after I had left for the evening, he would go into the room and mess with everything that had been done that day, even going as far as carving his name in the fresh wet plaster, requiring a shed load of work to repair

but I digress,

one morning, both parents there, the child from hell was required to get dressed, wash then accompany the male parent to the Barbers

I heard them downstairs talking to it, about what was going to happen that day, it denied that the trip was going to happen and proceeded to kick off, never in all my born days had I heard a child talk to his parents the way he was, eventually there was a proper fight going on, it was throwing things at the parents and eventually, the fight moved to the stairs, where I was working at the top of, the parents were trying to "talk" to him, he was actually kicking the mother who was on the stairs pleading with her little darling, and the father was still using the word please in his efforts to get it to comply

I just moved my tools, and shut the door of the room, isolating myself from the rage of the demented kid and the grovelling of the parents trying to get him to do what he should of done in the first place

Now I may be working class common, but I would of never dared to talk or treat my parents like that, my ass would have been sore for days if I even done a tenth of what I saw going on

when the job was done and the payment was in my hand, I did mention to the mother that "it" needed a thick ear or a thrashing

the look on her face was incredulous
I'm working class common mick but what's incredulous mean😂😂😂

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
What’s this ‘ lockdown ‘ you speak of ? My local fishery has a match on today. He’s never stopped. Spreads anglers out to make it look like they are pleasure fishing and hides their cars behind the house he’s building himself. Locks the gates and that’s it. He’s been doing this for twelve months. 🤷‍♂️

The Landlord

Site Supporter
There's a guy posted on the facebook page that there's a match being held on the Staffs Worc canal. Should see the abuse he's getting...being called a grass etc. Obviously the people on the facebook page aren't the same people who post here on the forum.

Simon R

Site Supporter
It is perhaps fortunate that, short of having a 15 minute face-to-face conversation with an infected person, it is practically impossible to contract the virus out of doors - hence why face masks have never been required in the open air and why the lockdown exit strategy reopens all the outdoor spaces first.

Simon

Joe C

Site Supporter
i was fishing the mole yesterday it was like the m25 along the bank, finally gave up when 3 women decided to started having a picnic next to where I was fishing and then put their dance music on. That was time to call it a day .
So disrespectful, it astounds me that people behave like this.