No Groundbait

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I'm going to ask to the owner or his dad about why they decided to change it next time I book on there but it's closed at the moment anyway.

minkyandbear

Site Supporter
A couple of waters I fish have a no groundbait rule, one a bream reservoir and the other a commercial, and I just use micros instead. In fact I prefer micros as I feel they are are more versatile for my bream fishing. Twenty years ago I would have thought differently!

For waggler fishing when I want to get feed on the deck I use sticky mag (or Horlicks) for my maggots, with or without aquarium gravel. Likewise I do the same with micros. Using sticky micros, aside maggots, I can introduce whatever feed I like just the same as a groundbait carrier. If I want the flavours and scents of groundbaits I can add these to the micros during their soak.

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
rules never put me off a fishery, either abide by them or fish somewhere else. The owners have every right to have any and all rules in place that they see fit.

do not need to use groundbait, can use soil or micros, overwet micros, if you really wanted to you could get their pellets and grind them and use a mix of that and micros as its not groundbait, can use a cage feeder, pellet feeder etc with the above. adding some chop worm can be amazing as well but only when warmer i would suggest.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Can't knock this fishery at all, the water and fish quality are spot on, and being quite new only 5 years old the owners have done a brilliant job. It's only 5 minutes drive from me (takes as long to get down the track to the fishery). They're saying they're 'chalking' the lakes during lockdown, it's not a mud puddle, the water there is blue coloured and a perfect clarity, so I'm sure they have good reason to ban groundbait. But I do like using groundbait so will have to adapt if I still want to fish there.

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
to be fair most places i fish now have banned groundbait so its good to learn and adapt based on that rule anyway, good luck

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
to be fair most places i fish now have banned groundbait so its good to learn and adapt based on that rule anyway, good luck

Cheers and very true. I have made threads about starting to use different kinds of feeders before so was getting ready to do that anyway. I hardly see anyone using groundbait when I fish where I do winter but the other place I fish still allows Sonubaits or ABC groundbait. It feels like it works sometimes, doesn't other times, but I find it a nice way to fish.

I have tried asking Des Shipp on his live Q&A this morning if he ever uses cage feeders on commercials or if it's all pellet/method/hybrid so waiting to see if he answers. 😆 (y)

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
all depends on what feed is in your groundbait and the size of feeder but certainly a feeder full of pellets is more food but you dont have to fill the feeder full, you can also use mushy pellets and/or mix with some soil to reduce food content and also use a bomb and a feeder and change between the two to reduce the amount of feed

Ive even used a maggot feeder so i can get smell or more mushy feed into the water or holes so small the pellets cannot escape the feeder

smiffy

Site Supporter
I’d be lost without groundbait. Can’t think of many situations when I wouldn’t use it. Chub fishing and gin clear winter rivers I guess. Fortunately all the waters I fish are so underfished there’s no need to ban it. Spodded particles seem to be the biggest cause for concern.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Bream and Groundbait are like Peas in a Pod. (y) Des Shipp is answering my question as we speak. I'll post the link up when it's uploaded. :bounce:

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Here we go. Video starts at the right time. (please ignore my pseudonym)

So Maggot Feeder is always an option. (y) I always put a pinch of maggots in my cage feeder and mix the groundbait with pinkies. Very pleased to have my question answered. 😁

Rick123

Site Supporter
It sound crazy but its because some people go crazy. I fish a reservoir that is so clear, you can see the bait left over after the anglers been fishing. Sometimes that rule excludes feeders, and it's only ground bait by hand thats banned. It stops people putting in 20 balls the size of an orange.