No Groundbait

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Does this ever put you off fishing a fishery?

I have just checked the rules at a local fishery I used to fish a cage feeder on and they have now banned groundbait.

Screenshot 2021-01-13 at 21.24.51.png

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
I would check with the fishery before mushing pellets up, some places only accept dry pellets or wetted but must still remain in pellet form.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I think they will be fine as long as you buy their pellets. Does kind of limit your options with those allowed baits though. For the times of year I fish it, it will basically mean maggots over micros. Groundbait was a good carrier for micros for fishing the waggler too.

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
Wouldn't bother me, in fact I think it's a very sensible rule. Decoy has had a 'groundbait in feeder only' rule ever since I can remember, and a 'no bread' rule.
Micros are OK in, or on, a feeder anyway. I hardly ever use groundbait there.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Does it have a detrimental effect on the fish or the water quality? They are meticulous about both at this fishery. And a no chucking leftover bait rule which I think is sensible. I can't see that people would have been balling it there either, in fact, I think it gave me a little advantage using groundbait there given that it wasn't often used. Kind of a treat for the fish, something they're not used to but very effective.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Another benefit of rivers is that you don’t have to worry about all that stuff!

That said I don’t have any issues with any fishery rules provided there’s logical reasons for them which in most cases there are with just the odd outlier.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Another benefit of rivers is that you don’t have to worry about all that stuff!

That said I don’t have any issues with any fishery rules provided there’s logical reasons for them which in most cases there are with just the odd outlier.

Your Bream reservoir has no groundbait rule doesn't it? That would irk me a little but I suppose you have to find ways around it!

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Your Bream reservoir has no groundbait rule doesn't it? That would irk me a little but I suppose you have to find ways around it!
It did yeah but the logic behind it is the it’s a working reservoir rather than a fishery so that waters got to be clean. Not really sure if people putting groundbait in would make much difference to the water tbh especially given the two species are the species for churning up water but I can at least see the idea. Basically the same principle as to why most reservoirs don’t even allow coarse fishing with fly and predator fishing instead.

rd115

Some of the gear, No idea
Site Supporter
I'd just fish some sort of particle mix in a little pva mesh bag. Excluding hemp obviously.

Plenty of other particles though and can always add hemp oil 👍

crayfishtraps

Site Supporter
i think if there is a no groundbait rule...if people are balling it in...and the fish are not eating it all...it will eventually go sour..which is not good.they had that problen at shearsby valley in leicestershire

squimp

Site Supporter
I'd just fish some sort of particle mix in a little pva mesh bag. Excluding hemp obviously.

Plenty of other particles though and can always add hemp oil 👍
I’d do the same but use tiny PVA bags of flavoured maggots or casters or maybe even flavoured corn.

nejohn

Site Supporter
It wouldn't really bother me as I rarely use ground bait, there are only a couple of venues that I fish that I would use it on and I am fishing those less and and less. If you want to fish the feeder give a maggot feeder a try and fish maggot, worm or corn on the hook. You could also try mixing your pellets in with a bit of wet loam or even mud from the bank (but that gets a bit messy) if you need to get loose fed particles down quickly you could try sticky mag to make a large ball (never tried this with pellet but might work) the thing is everyone is fishing to the same rules, it is just the person that adapts better and maybe thinks out of the box a little that will have the best rewards. The no bread rule would bother me though as bread flake can be a very reliable bait when others fail.