Night Fishing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpk1979

Gents /Ladies?

i know this maybe a touchy subject at the minute but I have been dabbling in a bit of night fishing lately. Not over nighters just till 12 ish.

After catching a few @ dusk on meat and sweet corn I never got nothing after dark.

Could this be due to the low visability of the baits i have been using?

Would a high vis boilie be a better bet?

And finally the biggy! is night fishing more productive on average?

The mackem has spoken

Chris.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Chris,

What you need to remember is that fish rely on their smell/taste and vibration sensorary functions at night to detect/find food rather than sight.
A moving bait such as worm or a smelly bait will have far greater results than a high vis one.
Try going for something that oozes smell and flavours and the fish stand a far better chance of finding it. There are various attractants that can be added to baits and then there's the gluggs which are high viscosity dips mainly for boilies but can also be used for other baits.

As to which is more productive, night or day? In my humble opinion I think that it has to be late evening or very early morning just as the darkness is lifting, but it depends alot on the species that you are after. My PB Bream was caught at 2.30am.

Regards, Dave

cpk1979

Cheers for that,

Its the almighty carp iim after, maybe a work tipped with corn are a high leakage pop'd up boilie could be the trick!

Chris.

MalcB

Hi cpk!
If you are gonna try boilies mate, please don't go for shelf lifes! Go for a flavoursome frozen bait such as active-8 or M-tech, or tutti's are doing extremely well again now!

If you are gonna night fish, you be a little more patient and be prepared to leave the bait out for longer periods.

There is no doubt (imo) that there is more chance of catching the more wary bigger fish at night!

cpk1979

I am really enjoying just being out there at night.

Every thing else is just a bonus.

Chris.

cpk1979

Its pay'd off! I got two last night the biggest just over the 10lb mark , maybe not big by your standards but a new PB for me! I caught them both on popped up corn tipped with a worm.

Theres something about a screaming bite alarm in the pitch black and not knowing what has took your bait.

I am hooked!

I only fished from 6pm till 12

Thanks for the tips!!!

Chris.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hey CPK
Well done mate congratulations on the new PB they can only get bigger.

As for "not big by your standards, what is BIG??

My PB carp was 9lb for about 6 years then i guess i just got lucky & its been going up for the past 12months, don't ever think that its not big by anyones standards mate its your PB not theirs.

Malc B

I hadn't heard that the tutti's are being productive again but i am glad cos i've got a bag of them somewhere in my tackle shed & i hate wastage (& i ain't even from yorkshire)

Alan
You've just been moderated

MalcB

Yes mate - Jim Shelley has been haulin em in all winter! fresh though, not the hard dry non-smelly stuff off the shelf! I started making my own version of the Richworth tutti - fishmeal, soya flour, semolina, sweetener, aminos and with a dollop of rod hutchinson tutti flavouring. Getting a fair bit of attraction - had one the other week on my own strawberry - brill feeling mate.

Where ya from cpk??

Edited by - MalcB on 26 March 2002 1:02:33 PM

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Malc B

Have you tried making any curry ones yet??
Works great on some waters (just make sure you buy your own curry powders cos the wife (my wife not yours) wasn't happy when i used hers LOL

Cpk
I'm from Stafford (the home of Izaak Walton)

Heres a quick tip for all you "carp yobs" rolleyes3.gif if you fish a water with a boilie ban then try this, instead of boiling your homemades till they're hard just boil them enough to make them like a hard paste but still soft enough to break if you squeeze them.

That way they aren't boilies but are boilies if you know what i mean?? thinking.gif

Alan
You've just been moderated

MalcB

quote: for all you "carp yobs"

Oi!!!

Once you have made up your mix - just don't bother boiling at all mate - make it fairly dry (perhaps one egg less than if you were doing proper-job boilies) and you have a wonderful paste. But what I tend to do is make it up, roll it into smallish balls, put into sealable bags, add another squirt of flavour, squeeze the air out, then freeze it. Then when ready, take it out and thaw it - as it thaws it draws in the flavour - smells bootiful mate. Presses on to the hook nicely.

Edited by - MalcB on 26 March 2002 6:46:17 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.