Night Fishing

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmurphy

I intend doing a bit of night fishing, well, a couple of our in to darkness anyway. Other than the obvious tourch etc, is there any other valuble bits of kit that you have come to rely on during such sessions. And is there any way of propely playing a fish if you can't see where it is (Barbel); I can't get my head around the not seeing bit ?

Any advice would be greatly received.
Cheers Bob

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Bob,
Make sure you have 2 torches, battery and preferably bulb back-ups for both!.
A head torch is far, far superior than a hand held torch.
If you are fishing the float, fish with a slider.
Than the betalight will slide down to just above the fish when you bring him to the net.
But dont be too concerned about the dark.
You will be amazed at the amount of ambient light reflected from the river and I often watch the rod tip to see the angle of line against the sky, so that I can see if the fish is making for a snag.

I fish on a strong tip and clip a light on to it

Regards

Trev
PS I also lay out a white towel on the ground and place on this the necessary kit, replacement bits.
Box with beads, clips, swivels etc.,
Baiting needle (I hair rig meat for Barbel usually)
Scissors
Hook wallet,
Disgorgers,
(Slammo and normal)
and bait around the edge of the towel.

Good Luck

Trev
Ziptrev
Shouldn't happen to a DOG!

Edited by - Ziptrev on 15 August 2002 09:11:48 AM

ray

attatch a starlight to the tip of your rod, either whip on a piece of tubing or ya can buy clip on thingys for a couple of quid, also get yourself a head torch.

if you take it with you...take it home.
original "clean banks campaign" slogan.

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
You will be suprised just how lght it actually remains. Avoid using torches as they do destroy night vision and it takes several mins. to regain it. Usr it just for acyually landing the fish. Carry 2 torches one being small for baiting the hook etc. The larger one and here I would recommend a head light. for landing etc.
As to the playing of fish croutch down and you will be able to see the rod outlined against the sky.
Be very systamatic and place things where you can find them and keep them there, make sure every thing is laid out and to hand before dark. Familurise yourself with the layout of the peg do not choose one that is inherently dangerous.
DO NOT leave the rod unattended the last 2 out of 3 Barbel I had at night gave smash takes if it wasnt for the bait runner I would have lost the rod or been smashed.
Go with a friend/s for the first few trips till you have gained confidence. Finally pick the stretch you fish carefully avoid any that have easy public access for your safeties sake.

chill out go fishing

Beebs

I caught my first fish at night the weekend before last and netted a 10lb common carp. It was at 3am and the first fish I had ever caught myself. Even with my basic skills, I still managed to land it. I was amazed just how much light there really is and when you've played the fish and got it on the top, you can make out where it is and net it quite easily with what little light remains. I must admit it was the most amazing rush and I was shaking for ages afterwards. The bend in the rod will tell you where the fish is and where it's going. I strongly recommend night fishing, I absolutely love it and do it very Friday night.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
As all have already said, i use an electronic night float made by Panasonic & as some of the members will who were at Elvington will tell you its an excellent bit of kit icon_smile.gif

Trev

Love the idea of the white towel, i might spray one of my seat trays white & see if that will work thanks for the idea mate.

Alan

I'll have a fiver on the black un

Beebs

quote:
As all have already said, i use an electronic night float made by Panasonic & as some of the members will who were at Elvington will tell you its an excellent bit of kit icon_smile.gif

G'day Trogg, where do you get hold of those floats from. I've only come across the ones that you can fit into drennan peacocks and they are a bit rubbish.

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
quote:
PS I also lay out a white towel on the ground and place on this the necessary kit, replacement bits.
Box with beads, clips, swivels etc.,
Baiting needle (I hair rig meat for Barbel usually)
Scissors
Hook wallet,
Disgorgers,
(Slammo and normal)
and bait around the edge of the towel.

Good Luck

Trev
Ziptrev

And still you lose your kit. LOL

Geoff

RSSG member - are you?
Clean Banks Campaign member

Simon R

Site Supporter
Personally I don't put any gear on the ground when I'm night fishing 'cos you can guarantee if I do, it'll get knocked over or kicked into the water icon_smile_blush.gif

I use a couple of bait waiters so that everythings off the ground.

Only other piece of advice I'd give is - go with a friend the first time you try it, even the smallest mouse can sound like a man-eater in the middle of the night! icon_smile_big.gif

Tight Lines

Simon

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Thats exactly the reason I do put things on the ground Simon icon_smile.gif

You can guarantee that in the dark, the sudden excitement of a bite, or one of your 'Mouse' sounds, will cause you to involuntarily knock anything that is up in the air, all over the place.

If its on the ground, it cant fall any further!
It can get kicked or stood upon, but the white towel acts as a marker and is plainly visibly different, even on the darkest night!

You have to be absolutely familiar with your peg, footing and bearings to have any 'secondary level' platforms, without running the risk of knocking the whole thing over!

Mind you, I normally fish rivers, where the cutaway bank pegs are never even anyway.
If you are intending a platform on a carp lake, you may get away with it, but I repeat, 'whats flat on the ground , cant get knocked down further'

Cheers

Trev
Ps, John is right about using the torch sparingly, because it does destroy your night vision, BUT far less so with a head torch, as your eyes cannot be attracted to the beam.
I only use the second torch as a back-up, as, whilst fishing with Mark on thursday night last, my head torch bulb blew!
Most head torches swivel and can be positioned outwards for playing fish' or downwards for baiting/repairing/replacing etc. and of course leave both hands free, simply look at and the area lights up!
Some new 30 ish models have long life LED's.
Me, I just bought two today from Used Tackle, came complete with spare bulbs built in and take 3 easily replaceable AAA batteries of which I always carry spares for my Camera etc., Price 9.99 Buy 1 get 1 free!
Ziptrev

Edited by - Ziptrev on 15 August 2002 10:55:10 PM

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
Heres a tip for users of starlights. They normally last up to 8 hours so if there used for less its a waste. On your return home put em in the freezer. Keep frozen till needed again. This will make em more cost effective,

chill out go fishing

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
You wanna try microwaving them its great fun icon_smile_wink.gif

For a head torch check out your local bargains shop my head torch cost me 2:00 & i can't fault it.

Beebs

I know what you mean about the starlights on the floats IMO they're rubbish.

The Panasonic one is an LED actually built into the float tip.

I brought two (one each for Dian & myself) from WMAC (click here) but i don't think they do them anymore.

In fact i don't even know if you can get them anymore from anywhere.

Index do a light up float for 7:99 (check out page 143 item 24 of the new catalogue) or go to their website click here & in the search box enter 107-873 & it will take you directly to the float.

Alan

I'll have a fiver on the black un

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
There's also Twighlighter Floats (http://www.twilighter.co.uk/) who do one that lights up icon_smile.gif

Dave

bmurphy

Thanks for all the info, its been a great help. Although i will have to :-
1. Try to become organised throughout the whole session and not just at the begining
2. Come to accept dog sized mice and man eating rats during darkness.
3. Find a flat bit of bank in amongst the rocks of the tidal trent.
etc. etc. etc.

All these things considered i can't wait to give them a tonking next week, full moon and all that ?

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Yep BM,

Full moon is on thursday 22nd.
It rises at 19.47 and sets at 03.49 on the friday.
Highest point is 23.48!

Fishing forecast very good from 18.47pm thurs, right through to 05.19, fri am.
Then give up 'til 10.06 am fri, when another 4 hour good spell starts!icon_smile_big.gif

Will look forward to hearing where, when and if you caught, but if you do fish that day (night)with a clear sky, forget all the torch advice lol.
On the wide tidal, at full moon, It'll be like daylight.

Best of luck,

Trev

Ziptrev

Beebs

quote:
It was at 3am and the first fish I had ever caught myself.

That was meant to read, the first fish I had caught and landed myself at night. Before everybody thinks I am a total useless case.

bmurphy

Just to touch on the full moon and tide bit Ziptrev. Being a relative novice to the specimen bit (stickfloat and magg is more my cuppa) i have been told that the best time for the tidal barbel is on a fill up, well, on the collingham stretch anyway. Could you tell me how to establish the tide times at my choice of venue (so many hours from Hull ?). The moon bit i got from a barbel web that i'm sure you put me on to ?.

G

Thats all the tackle tips BM, now for the important bits and bobs.
Flask with tea or coffee, it will help keep you warm, sandwiches to help keep the hunger at bay, the noise from your belly groaning with hunger sounds a bit scary in the middle of the night and IMHO your mobile is a must, just in case, if you go by yourself always tell someone where you intend to fish,saftey in my mind is foremost.

i'm going to bait up
Andy

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Sorry for late reply Bob, just back from Wisbech Fish-in,

Tide Timrs are usually published in local Papers (Try nottm Evening Post), or weekly (Newark Advertiser?)
Good Luck

Trev

Ziptrev

Stewart Bloor

If you're going to be fishing for specimen fish, then generally the dawn through to dusk period will be the most effective.

Once you've done it a few times, it's surprising how things tend to flow together.

If you do decide to become a regular (I night fish 3 times a week on average) an LED head torch is preferable to a standard head torch, due to extended battery life and therefore costs. A headtorch in any case is superior to a standard torch.

Status
Not open for further replies.