Night fishing; pros and cons

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Take a dog if you can.

It doesn't have to be a Rottweiler, Boxer, or Alsation, a small terrier will do the job just as well, as long as it's not the nervous type.
They'll act as your eyes and ears and alert you to anything amiss, plus act as a deterrent to 'strangers in the night'

Lakeland Dog

Hi All,
Seatrout fishing at night has tobe the most electrifying thing for me. Wading and casting a fly, requires alot of practice!!!
To have a seal surge through your pool tests anyone's bottle.
At night has tobe an angling experience all should try at least once, very addictive.
Stay safe all..

gingert76

Cebu, Philippines
love night fishing and always 2 x head torch just in case, you never know and ive tripped and smashed one before. also have a red/green function, i prefer red and use white for walking and red in the swim and fish care.

Never fish a place in the dark that you havnt visited in the day time!
always let someone know what time you are expected back if going alone, ideally go with someone
On big rivers i have worn a life jacket before if by myself, only takes one slip and especially if you are tired things can go wrong!
never wear chest waders or thigh waders at night, again one slip is all it takes
if you are wading or in the water, make sure you go in during daytime so you have some idea of depths and trip hazards
make sure your phone is charged and available to you, again you never know but also visit during the day so you know if you have a signal there or not
always use barbless hooks, more than once i have skewered myself and barbless pulls straight out, much much safer in teh dark and by yourself

Love night fishing on lakes, rivers and especially sea fishing, love how peaceful things can be, how lack of light pollution can allow you to see millions of stars, wildlife noises travel much further at night.................love it all but stay safe!

Last edited:

Greeny1178

Sitting on the rocks , walking across the beach night fishing awesome all the stars , and now you see loads of satellites going over . But like as been said plan out stuff before you go .

JimM

Take a dog if you can.

It doesn't have to be a Rottweiler, Boxer, or Alsation, a small terrier will do the job just as well, as long as it's not the nervous type.
They'll act as your eyes and ears and alert you to anything amiss, plus act as a deterrent to 'strangers in the night'
Tried taking my staffie 3 times and each time vowed 'Never Again!' She's a bloody nightmare, whenever I cast she thinks it's a game of fetch, nicks my chair as soon as I get out of it, eats the bait and have you ever tried to sleep with a 25kg radiator laying on you! Plus if there were any strangers in the night she'd just run away.

Wandle Wanderer

For night fishing, I believe you should never night fish somewhere you've never fished in the daytime. Mainly because I like to suss an area out before I consider nights, to ensure I'll be as safe as I possibly can be from a personal safety point of view.

I feel like you can get a vibe from a place as soon as you've done a few days. You can gauge what the locals and regulars are like, and if you get anyone turning up to set up for a night, it's the opportunity to ask about their experiences. Conversely, a lack of anyone pulling nighters should be ringing alarm bells especially if it's a busy place.

The last thing I'd want is for my gear to be getting pinched, or end up in a roll around with anyone for that reason or any other....

I personally love nights. Tucking into your bag bivvied up with no noise, no people, no traffic, just the sounds of nothing, and a bit of peace and quiet. It's awesome.

I personally bring too much with me. I don't like to be without.

Get a good head torch and an even better hand torch - I've got a trusty surefire with an upgraded triple LED bulb which has never let me down.

Have a good powerbank, a good stove and plenty of gas.

Make sure you either have access to water or plenty of bottled.

The only downsides to nighters is having to pack down.... Especially if its been raining