Night Fishing - advice for a first timer

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Take plenty of feeders/leads as distance can be deceptive at night.
Plenty of spare batteries for torches.
As for PVA bags, medium size will do.
Make sure mobile phones are topped up with power.
Let someone else know your location.
Beware of any scrotes that can get round lakes etc. at night, make sure where you're going...it's safe.
Tea/coffee, sugar, milk etc. a plenty, it can be thirsty work waiting for bites,

Most of all...enjoy it, you'll be surprised at what wildlife gets out and about at night.

Thankfully it’s a commercial we have recently fished, absolutely packed with carp, bream, roach, tench, barbel, etc and you basically drive around the lake until you find a peg you like the look of then park and fish.

Really well managed and maintained with a shop, cafe, loos and all pegs are gravel hard standing. Last time we fished there people had tents, camper vans, bivvies and the like set up which is why Jacob is up for it.

I will pack a couple of cooler boxes and a shed load of food/drink plus the stove for brews and warm food.

Invested in a solar power bank to keep phones and iPad topped up which is a fantastic bit of gear.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Had a bit of a Google and am I right in thinking the PVA bag is like a time delay method feeder system?

It seems to be the bag dissolves leaving a small patch of food and the hookbait within it.

BaldiMug

Had a bit of a Google and am I right in thinking the PVA bag is like a time delay method feeder system?

It seems to be the bag dissolves leaving a small patch of food and the hookbait within it.
Here a little Vid from Hinders bait, should help understand it all, i personally use PVA mesh not bags, but I'm sure other can give you more advice.

Total

Site Supporter

No need to complicate it Mr Taff....(y).....An open ended feeder, plugged at each end with micros/groundbait etc etc and fill with your desired offerings....Bridges/Monks is not a complicated water....(y)

OldTaff

Site Supporter
No need to complicate it Mr Taff....(y).....An open ended feeder, plugged at each end with micros/groundbait etc etc and fill with your desired offerings....Bridges/Monks is not a complicated water....(y)

Even better as I have those so don’t need to buy anything new 👏

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I am expecting the bream to keep us busier than the carp but that’s part of the fun

Total

Site Supporter
I am expecting the bream to keep us busier than the carp but that’s part of the fun
If 'Bridges' fishes to form for this time(ish) of year you'll be winding in around midnight to get some kip and well earned rest!:ROFLMAO:

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Now that sounds like a plan - as long as we catch something in the dark the Jacob will be made up no matter how big or small it is.

Also found out that when we do this he will earn credits for beavers badges and this will go towards “nights out”, “hobbies”, “outdoor pursuits”, ”nature/environment” and a few others too - we do however need to take lots of pics for evidence and keep a little journal.

BaldiMug

Now that sounds like a plan - as long as we catch something in the dark the Jacob will be made up no matter how big or small it is.

Also found out that when we do this he will earn credits for beavers badges and this will go towards “nights out”, “hobbies”, “outdoor pursuits”, ”nature/environment” and a few others too - we do however need to take lots of pics for evidence and keep a little journal.
That sounds really cool, I mean I think we all need to know if he lands a REAL monster, like 5lbs+!

Total

Site Supporter

I know what our dear MTC would have said about your last sentence above!:love::ROFLMAO:

Deejay8

Site Supporter
If the weather is warm and the sky is clear, spend some time out of the bivvy, looking up at the stars. It's one of the joys of night fishing. And try and get some sleep in the early hours, but set the alarm for just before dawn. It's so atmospheric to hear the early signs of the world waking up and to see the sky begin to get light, and see the mist rising across the water. It's often the best time for a bite as well. Enjoy your trip. I hope your lad lands his monster.

Roving_All_Rounder

Site Supporter
Sounds like you're set to have a great time. (y) I remember my first night session well, I'm sure Jacob will too! :D The only thing I'd add is to keep your bait in a tub at night, as rats can get pretty brave when the sun goes down and they can smell free food :ROFLMAO: