Nick Gilbert Pole Floats

dave brittain 1

A few months ago I decided to go down the hand made float route and got some Nick Gilbert Deckers with a 1.7mm bristle, some NG Dibbers and some NG Ghandi's.

I've never been a tart when it comes to pole floats as I've generally been able to get away with off the shelf floats but after returning to the UK after working abroad for two years I decided to replace some of my old battered and bruised floats.

Generally in the summer for carp fishing my floats come into three categories, up in the water on the deck and margin floats.

For my bottom work the NG Decker covers all my requirements. The tip is the right length and diameter, the body is the right shape and most importantly the glass stem balances the float perfectly making it ultra stable. The additional eye on the float body is a very nice touch and stops the line digging in and cracking the body which is the biggest problem on the majority of shop bough floats.

The NG Dibber in the 3 size, (they take three No 10's) is my first choice for fishing 6mm pellet for carp and F1's shallow and in a recent match at Lindholme I was more upset at losing my float when my dacron knot untied itself that I was at losing the fish. As you can gather I like these floats very much and for shallow fishing, especially when slapping, they're very good.

The Ghandi, (2mm tip), is another float designed for shallow fishing for those who prefer a bristle. It's ideal for baits smaller than 6mm pellet where anglers like to watch the bristle and if it's flat this would be my first choice float for F1's and small carp shallow.

Recently I bought some XT Dibbers for fishing 6mm and 8mm pellet shallow. I haven't had chance to use them however if they're as good as the others and I have no reason to believe they won't be, it won't be long before I get some more.

See http://www.float-store.co.uk/ for more info

Last edited by a moderator:

poyd

Site Supporter
I have used some of his floats. The dibbers are strong. 2 each for floats is, however over the odds.

Harry_Monk

I posted some time ago looking for some far bank and margin floats and ended up buying some ghandis, they are perfect and first out of the box when Im fishing long shallow

dave brittain 1

Poyd.

2 is cheap for a hand made pole float especially when you consider Preston pole floats retail at 1.99 and are no where near as durable or strong.

I don't mind paying a premium if something is right for the job and I wouldn't have reviewed the floats if I didn't rate them and think that they represented good value for money

keith

Gandhi
Site Supporter
Dave

Have you tried the Ghandhis on snake lakes. They are brilliant for going into the shallow water across. Being small and buoyant they show up really well.An excellant float for fishing in less than 18inches of water.

minkyandbear

Site Supporter
I have used quite a few of Nick's floats and have found them to be excellent quality. Very durable and well made.

None have ever taken on water - so no need for the hard as nails!!

dave brittain 1

Keith The Ghandi's are excellent and although I haven't tried them on a snake lake I'm sure that they're just as effective as when fishing in open water

pole addict

I've just ordered 50 worth [:0][:0]

I had to press the complete button quickly before common sense took over and told me to make do with all the floats I already have. [:eek:)][:eek:)][:eek:)][:D]

Trendy Angler

Just received an order I placed.... got myself a selection of his range so I can give them a try, cost me about 25 quid.

Build quality seems fantastic and cannot wait to get on the bank and give them a try. Bought a few pellet wagglers from him too so am excited to give them a go. Hopefully get a days fishing in tomorrow or thursday so will report back.

nick_gilbert

NG Floats, Elastic
Site Supporter
Originally posted by poyd

I have used some of his floats. The dibbers are strong. 2 each for floats is, however over the odds.

I dont think 2-2.20, which is about the average price most of the guys charge for handmade floats is over the odds, it is cheap considering the work that goes into one.

Let me give you a example, I used to use the Drennan Carp 4 Dibber costing about 1.50 for a lot of shallow pellet fishing for F1s, great float but it would start to show signs of wear after about 40-50lb of fish, The eye would come lose and the paint would start to get damaged, I would on average get through two a match.

A dibber brought from me or one of the many guys now producing handmade float would see you catch several hundred pounds of fish or even more without getting damaged or showing signs of wear so represents far better value for money. [:T]

Last edited:

obewan

Jammie Dodger
Only floats i use, models i have used last longer than normal shop bought ones,and all are well made.

bingo wings

Originally posted by keith

Dave

Have you tried the Ghandhis on snake lakes. They are brilliant for going into the shallow water across. Being small and buoyant they show up really well.An excellant float for fishing in less than 18inches of water.

Just got some some of these for this specific purpose Keith and they are very visible and work very well, the finish and quality is cock on. Top job Nick and your prices are very reasonable considering how long a "handmade" lasts.
Thanks Nick
Lee[:D]

pole addict

My floats arrived today and i'm very pleased with them. (Tart [:D])

The ghandi's are just what i've been looking for. [:T]

The deckers are very long, I had to trim the stem a quarter inch on the 0.8 and 0.6 so they fit on an 18cm winder, but thats a minor issue if they are as stable as people have said.
They also carry a bit more shot than stated but I will take that into account when I choose my float on the day.

All in all they are very well made and i'm looking forward to getting on the bank and trying them out.[:D]

One other plus point.....
It's nice to have a float in various sizes that all have the same diameter bristle, rather than the floats I had been using where the bristle gets thicker the larger the float capacity. [:T]

The Big Fella

hi pole addict

If you have trimmd the pole floats down though via the glass stem that will surely effect the amount of shot it then takes?

As I presume the glass stem at a certain length must have a percentage of ballast under the water which alters how it sits in the water?

pole addict

Hi Big Fella,

As I said it was only about a quarter of an inch I trimmed em.

I don't think it should make too much difference to the stability and shot loading.

The .8 took a gram and the .6 took .8.

That was in a bucket with a dosapiombo so it may differ when I get them on the bank.

It's not a criticism of the floats, just an observation. [:T]

Nobby_nobbs

Site Supporter
My god are they still selling those Dosi thingys had one years ago they had good neutral buoyancy but I found them about 0.06 to 0.1g over the stated loading when on the water depends on the diameter of the vessel your using and the meniscus on the surface. As for NG floats ordered some of the Finesse in 0.2 0.4g looking forward to seeing them when they arrive as for price I have some MK squat floats from 15 years back and then we were paying a whole 99p for commercials these were about 1.25 2 a pop for these represent good value for money in my book Im not a tackle tart but I enjoy using patterns that have been designed by anglers and produced to the current high standards by these guys

pole addict

used the deckers today.

Blustery wind. 5 ft deep swim.

After a chat with Nick, i decided on the 0.2g decker which actually takes about 0.3g.

I would never normally use such a light float in that depth and conditions but the decker was rock solid and the long tip cut through the "waves" perfectly.

I found the 1.5mm tip spot on and could dot it right down, with just a little dab of vaseline to keep it visible.

The float never sank as the day wore on. I am so used to removing shot half way through a session.

All in all I am very pleased and would recommend them highly. [:T]

Anglingman

Mr Ginster
Site Supporter
Have had 3 of Nicks paste floats on the go since the spring regularly using the 0.3g...

Neither of the 2 side eyes have pulled out, the line has not cut into the float body, indeed there is not even a mark where the line sits against the body. they have not taken on any water and all in all I am very pleased. At 2 thay are slighty more expensive than shop boughts but will outlast them by miles so you're quids in.

Highly recommended [:T]

MARK C

Another vote for Nicks floats, I used to use another well known type that always started to sink after an hour or so even after I varnished them[:(!].I found it so frustrating trying to fish a match wondering is that a bite or the float just sinking.
I have total faith now I have changed over to Nicks and have just ordered a load more.
I don't know how any one can think that they are over priced when you are getting something it is handmade and clearly does the job that it was designed to do and more importantly it actually floats[:D][:D].

stikflote

Site Supporter
ive been useing Nicks float for a while ,i bought loads during the bad winter

,best floats ive used ,and the only floats i will use from now on