Nice Thames Medley Mixed Bag

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
After a couple weeks of no fishing due to work and bad weather today the stars finally aligned for me to have another Thames session. With a touch more colour, height and flow on it than when last fished I decided to try trotting maggot on the stick on the medley swim I feedered fished last time out given the unseasonably cold weather should have knocked the bleak on the head a bit. Apart from being a bit cold in the morning, it did warm up by midday, the conditions were good being mostly cloudy and next to no wind and it turned out to be a good session.

I start fishing on maggot about 8 and by midday had a reasonable bag of fish made up of mostly skimmers, roach and bleak but also gudgeon, perch, dace and chublets. I should have probably switched to hemp about 10 when the roach appeared but I stupidly forgot to bring any fresh stuff so only had defrosted stuff which is a sod to get on the hook but by 12 the bleak were active enough that I had to make the switch despite the sub standard bait. The first hour on hemp was quite productive with a few more roach and the odd skimmer and dace which really had me rueing not making the bait switch a couple hours earlier. At about 1 though a full on 10 boat armada properly killed the swim and I’d only added a couple more fish by 2. At that point the bleak were too active to be worth going back on the maggot so I switched to feeder and added a few more roach and a couple more dace and skimmers before packing up about 3. Finally score was conservatively probably about 25 roach, about 25 skimmers, about 15 bleak and about 10 dace plus 9 gudgeon, 3 perch and 3 chublet so a good tally numbers wise. Weight wise the roach, skimmers and dace were mostly (whilst not as good as those at sandford) of a decent enough stamp to equal probably around a dozen pounds but the other species were small so probably only equaled another couple pounds. A fairly decent result I thought although I definitely left quite a few fish out there by not fishing hemp earlier then not switching to feeder earlier. Plus I was a bit rusty on the stick after almost exclusively using the waggler for trotting this season (which would have been better for the hemp fishing today) but I definitely enjoyed the session.

As usual all the float caught fish were had on the 13ft drennan acolyte ultra float rod paired with the drennan 7 series 3000 float reel loaded with 3lb maxima (as well
as the fresh hemp I forgot my stick line although the maximas been floating all season when it’s been calm so didn’t hamper me too much) to a 4bb drennan stick float to size 18 to 2.5lb drennan silverfish hook to nylon. This was set up to just trip the bottom in about 5ft of water with about a dozen fish coming to hemp and the rest a single maggot with loose feed of just hemp over a few balls of silver x groundbait laced with hemp and maggot. The feeder caught fish came to the usual 11ft drennan acolyte ultra feeder rod paired with the drennan 7 series 4000 feeder reel loaded with 6lb maxima to a drennan 30g black cap feeder on boom above a bead and swivel to a size 14 to 4lb drennan carp hook to nylon. Hook bait was triple red maggot and the feeder contained the same groundbait and particle mix as the balls for the float.

My grandad was with me again and spent the morning on the feeder trying to get a proper bream. He had one of about 2lb plus a couple decent roach on maggot but often had to switch to corn as maggot kept getting bleak and gudgeon (think he had 4 and about 8 respectively) yet the corn was fruitless. He switched to hemp on the float about midday like me and had similar results with a few fish in the first hour then not much in the second so probably added another 10 roach before going back to corn for a fishless last hour.

All in all a good day for me at least numbers wise if not so much size that probably could have been a brilliant day on both if I was bit more organised. I must have fallen out of my fishing rhythm now I’m off furlough and not fishing all the time! Forecast looks alright next for weekend so I might have another go at the same spot with the proper bait and set up. Alternatively as the Thames shield was this weekend on sandford and folly so I’ll check the results of that as if they're fishing well I might have a go at the roach or bream on one of them.

Couple pics of the swim from early doors and a bit later on when it warmed up plus a few roughly stamp roach and a roughly stamp I think skimmer although it was one of handful today that looked a bit silver breamy.

1598892850396.jpeg
1598892939054.jpeg

1598892950869.jpeg

1598892996939.jpeg

1598893016035.jpeg

1598893069939.jpeg

Edit - apologies that I’ve somehow made that almost twice as waffley as most my previous reports, I’m obviously out of practice at being concise as well!

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
Good write up, you have to love a nice redfin.(y)

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Thanks mate 👍🏻Bit of a word dump haha guess it’s because it was a bit more of a chopping and changing session than my usual sessions where I’d normally just fish one method.

And yeah I’m a bit sadly obsessed with roach 😂 didn’t have as many or as good ones today as when I was constantly hemp fishing for them throughout July but had a decent number of reasonable ones mixed in 🙂

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
I have a stick float session planned with a fellow MD'er on the Trent soon, it will be my second time on the stick and I am really looking forward to it.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I have a stick float session planned with a fellow MD'er on the Trent soon, it will be my second time on the stick and I am really looking forward to it.
Sounds good look forward to hearing about it 👍🏻I’d love to run a float down the Trent 😍

I was getting quite decent at stick fishing but after mostly using wagglers for float fishing in the last couple of years a few stick fishing bad habits had crept back in at times today as it is more fiddly than waggler fishing. It mostly went well though 🙂

emmaemma

Site Supporter
Nice write up and pics silverfish and a decent days fishing... (y)

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Thanks for taking the time to read it must be half as long again as my usual reports 😅

Was indeed a decent day 🙂

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Yeah pretty decent, they’ve generally been a bit bigger than that this season though I’d say the middle one is probably about representative of the seasons average