Nice Mixed Bag Amongst Tree Fluff Nightmare

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
After Fridays brilliant roach session at boddington reservoir followed by a beery session in London yesterday I was pretty worm out this morning but after a bit of a lay in it got my backside in gear and got out fishing again. Though given it would be a shorter session than usual I’d try somewhere new so decided to make the trek up to jubilee pools in particular horseshoe lake. Weather wise it was supposed to be cold but whilst it didn’t clear 20 degrees like it has on every other session I’ve had this month it was stil not bad probably in the high teens with just a light breeze that we were sheltered from by the trees so I was quite optimistic. One downside of the trees at this time of is that the whole lake was carpeted in that fluffy pollen stuff which I’d thought I’d avoided this year having seen none of it on any other venue this month. I knew straight away that it would massively hamper the fishing which it did which was a shame as it stopped another potential red letter day as even with its influence the day still went pretty well.

Leaving home an hour later than usual for this time of year and the longer journey meant it was about an hour and half later start than usual at just after 10 then fished through til just after 3.30. Probably lost best part of an hour of the session to picking fluff off the line and it messing up casting made me very inaccurate bit still ended up if I recall just shy of 60 fish made up of at least 30 roach, at least 10 perch, maybe 10 rudd, 3 skimmers, 1 tench and 1 crucian. Size wise the skimmers, tench and crucian probably bought a little shy of 10lb with that silvers probably a little over 10lb so maybe had 20lb all in which from definitely sub 5 hours of actual fishing once fluff picking time was deducted I reckon was a good result for first go on the place especially with those sub 5 hours also very hampered by said fluff. I caught probably half the fish on the deck and half up in the water (it’s another deep venue) but would have mostly fished up in the water if I could have as it caught much quicker it just also accumulated fluff quicker due to the more repetitive casting. I’m pretty certain had I fished a full 7 ish session like usual without the fluff issue I’d have caught easily at least half as much again numbers wise so probably 30lb worth if of them same stamp and mix which would have been amazing for a first go at the place. It’s definitely whet the appetite for the place, which also happens to be very pretty, so I’ll certainly be back over the bank holiday weekend for a longer and hopefully fluff free session as fluff and time constraints aside it was really nice today so I’m sure it could be very good.

Tackle wise I set up two rods again to deal with the depth and like I said spent thr time pretty evenly split between the two. The deep set up was the 14ft Drennan acolyte ultra float rod paired with a 2500 shimano sahara RD reel loaded with 3lb maxima to a 1.5g Drennan loaded crystal insert waggler to a size 18 to 2lb Drennan silverfish hook to nylon set up with strung out shot down to just off bottom in about 10ft of water. The shallow rod was the 13ft Drennan acolyte ultra float rod paired with a 2500 shimano sahara RD reel loaded with 3lb maxima to a 1.5g Drennan loaded crystal insert waggler to size 18 to 2lb Drennan silverfish hook to nylon always with strung out shot starting at about 6ft deep before working up to the best depth for the day of just under 5ft. Bait wise hookbait was single red maggot over loose feed of a pretty even mix of red maggots and casters but weirdly couldn’t catch on caster on the hook. This was fished over an initial few balls of half and half frenzied hemp match original and match black ground bait.

My grandad was with me again and took one look at the fluff and decided he wasn’t going to spend all day getting up and down to pick fluff off his gear so went on the feeder. That started very slowly for him and he only caught a dozen fish all day but they were quality fish with 3 roach, 3 tench and 6 bream totally probably 25lb with him having the biggest two fish of the day as well with his biggest bream and tench both being about 4lb. He didn’t put much effort on either so reckon he could have doubled his catch if we’d fished as long as usual. He essentially benefited from most the silvers being off the bottom as it meant he could get maggots easily through to that bigger fish on the deck. That said I caught my criticism and two of my skimmers up in the water so guess everything came up at times.

All in all whilst I wished we’d got up earlier to get more fishing in and I really wish the fluffed hadn’t cut the potential catch short by so much the place is incredibly promising so like I say I’ll definitely be back for a proper session this week if I can. It really was one of those days where you never know what you’re going to get (bit different to the probably 40lb of 160 plus roach catch at boddington Friday!) and it was so nice to catch my first tench and crucian in nearly 4 years (not a common quarry to predominantly river angler) and catching some rudd closer in size to roach than bleak was a bit of a novelty as well. Was a reasonable stamp of roach (not quite but nearly boddington or Thames stamp) and rudd with just the perch a bit small. Crucisn was the fish of the day as isn’t many local to me and it was reasonable size too.

Picture heavy today with one of the swim, a selection of roach, a rudd, the crucian, the tench (rubbish pic looks closer to couple ounces than it’s couple pounds but too hard to hold!) and the biggest a smallest skimmers. Would have got some pics of grandad’s fish but him holding up sizeable slimey bream and tench over a platform swim probably would have gone wrong!

1653843880767.jpeg

1653843832807.jpeg

1653843859335.jpeg

1653843808089.jpeg

1653843781705.jpeg

1653843761691.jpeg

1653843738971.jpeg

1653843716357.jpeg

1653843624974.jpeg

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Also didn’t realise that meadowlands is literally just behind the place. Would struggle to pay £10 to fish there though when both of us can fish jubilee for £9 or even £4 if I join the club next year which I may do just left if too late this year to get my moneys worth.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Nice photos, had a recce at a local tench lake this morning and loads of fluff, real pain but just have to put up with it.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Nice report mate, particularly like the Crucian. It along with Napton are a couple of places I wanted to fish, but just a bit too far for me now, wish I'd known about these places when I lived near Solihull if I was fishing at the time.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Nice photos, had a recce at a local tench lake this morning and loads of fluff, real pain but just have to put up with it.
Yeah horrible stuff isn’t it! Like I say thought I’d got away with avoiding it this year as this was my 6th session this month across 4 venues and until today it was non existent but it was certainly out in force today unfortunately.

Nice report mate, particularly like the Crucian. It along with Napton are a couple of places I wanted to fish, but just a bit too far for me now, wish I'd known about these places when I lived near Solihull if I was fishing at the time.
Thanks mate. Was well chuffed with the crucian. Saw it swim into the swim thought it was a whopping rudd then the float went under about 10 seconds later. Nice to get a decent sized one.

And yeah it’s right on the limit distance wise for me as can do most places I fish in under or just over half an hour was but more like three quarters of an hour there. Much nicer than napton though walked that last year and it’s much more artificial looking than other reservoirs around here like boddington, Clattercote etc not to mention very exposed in all directions compared to them as well. Wouldn’t mind giving it a go though as the fishing is clearly good just would need a flat calm day. Beauty of todays place is that you could get out of almost any wind there given its very tree lined and in a bit of a bowl.