Nice enough day out

Simon R

Site Supporter
Often when pleasure fishing I’ll spend ages mentally running through all the possible venues for a day’s fishing. However I didn’t really have that problem on this occasion – bearing in mind that we’re supposed to be staying local (a directive that practically nobody is taking the blindest bit of notice of) and the fact that the rivers are now shut I was left with a choice of two local stillwaters – Renny or Dromonby and since I’d fished the former twice this year already I plumped for the latter.

Google Earth 2021.jpg
Pegs must be reserved in advance and fortunately there was one remaining on the top pond which was the lake I wanted to fish because the silvers on here tend to be of a higher average size than the other two ponds. Peg three meant nowt to me but turned out to be on the long straight bank of the pond and not an area I’d fished before. It’s also the highest and least sheltered of the ponds, although fortunately the light breeze that was blowing wasn’t going to cause any problems in that regard.

Image00013.jpg
I set the pole and the waggler up – three top kits would suffice, two for fishing at full depth – only four feet or so – one with spread shot and one with a bulk and droppers. Third top kit with stouter elastic for fishing down the margin. I didn’t really expect to see much action down the edge, the water was still cold and it was only a couple of feet deep, although there was a bit of warmth in the sun when it poked through the cloud from time to time.

It was the same depth at 6m as it was at 13, so I fished the waggler at approximately 13m and the pole at an easy 8m. The waggler was a bit slow initially and it took 10 minutes to get my first bite. I got a few small roach but was missing rather more bites than I was happy with so I switched to the pole at the shorter range. I’d been flicking maggots in since I started and caught more regularly and the fish were of a generally better stamp.
Image00011.jpg

Image00003.jpg

I had a wander around to see Miser who’d arrived shortly after I started and was hiding down in peg 7½ fishing a little groundbait feeder out parallel to the island, He was getting one a bung but a fair number of them were of the smaller size I’d been pestered with on the waggler.

I switched back to the waggler and was rewarded with a net roach of 12oz or so but that line died on me.

Image00008.jpg
I was about to go back on the 8m line when I caught sight of a small tail pattern almost at my feet. I’d been feeding a couple of margin lines since the start but didn’t really expect to catch much over them.

Image00010.jpg

I had a quick look over my short margin line (top kit range) and after a couple of roach I thought I’d hooked the bottom before it slowly chugged off. After a lengthy fight – due to using the light rig I’d been employing at 8m with the float moved down a bit – I slipped the net under a fat mirror carp that weighed 5lb dead.

Image00005.jpg

The roach down the edge were of a better stamp than further out

Image00012.jpg

It was a while until I hooked another carp – this time on my far margin line – and using the correct top kit. It was another mirror just a couple of ounces smaller than the first.

Image00006.jpg

Image00001.jpg Image00002.jpg

Image00004.jpg

From then on until I wrapped up it was just loads more roach -a fair few that I probably would have netted had I been in a match. I was about to finish when I hooked another carp – the scale I retrieved indicated where I’d caught it but there was always a chance there were one or two more in the vicinity so I carried on for a few more minutes without locating anything else.

Image00009.jpg
All told I’ll have had 10lb+ of roach (and a single rudd) plus the two carp so at least 20lb which isn’t a bad days fishing for the back end of March.

Image00007.jpg

We were also treated to a Miser masterclass - although as you can see one of his pupils has ran off and the other is keeping his distance :p :p :p :ROFLMAO::p

Simon

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Often when pleasure fishing I’ll spend ages mentally running through all the possible venues for a day’s fishing. However I didn’t really have that problem on this occasion – bearing in mind that we’re supposed to be staying local (a directive that practically nobody is taking the blindest bit of notice of) and the fact that the rivers are now shut I was left with a choice of two local stillwaters – Renny or Dromonby and since I’d fished the former twice this year already I plumped for the latter.

Google Earth 2021.jpg
Pegs must be reserved in advance and fortunately there was one remaining on the top pond which was the lake I wanted to fish because the silvers on here tend to be of a higher average size than the other two ponds. Peg three meant nowt to me but turned out to be on the long straight bank of the pond and not an area I’d fished before. It’s also the highest and least sheltered of the ponds, although fortunately the light breeze that was blowing wasn’t going to cause any problems in that regard.

Image00013.jpg
I set the pole and the waggler up – three top kits would suffice, two for fishing at full depth – only four feet or so – one with spread shot and one with a bulk and droppers. Third top kit with stouter elastic for fishing down the margin. I didn’t really expect to see much action down the edge, the water was still cold and it was only a couple of feet deep, although there was a bit of warmth in the sun when it poked through the cloud from time to time.

It was the same depth at 6m as it was at 13, so I fished the waggler at approximately 13m and the pole at an easy 8m. The waggler was a bit slow initially and it took 10 minutes to get my first bite. I got a few small roach but was missing rather more bites than I was happy with so I switched to the pole at the shorter range. I’d been flicking maggots in since I started and caught more regularly and the fish were of a generally better stamp.
Image00011.jpg

Image00003.jpg

I had a wander around to see Miser who’d arrived shortly after I started and was hiding down in peg 7½ fishing a little groundbait feeder out parallel to the island, He was getting one a bung but a fair number of them were of the smaller size I’d been pestered with on the waggler.

I switched back to the waggler and was rewarded with a net roach of 12oz or so but that line died on me.

Image00008.jpg
I was about to go back on the 8m line when I caught sight of a small tail pattern almost at my feet. I’d been feeding a couple of margin lines since the start but didn’t really expect to catch much over them.

Image00010.jpg

I had a quick look over my short margin line (top kit range) and after a couple of roach I thought I’d hooked the bottom before it slowly chugged off. After a lengthy fight – due to using the light rig I’d been employing at 8m with the float moved down a bit – I slipped the net under a fat mirror carp that weighed 5lb dead.

Image00005.jpg

The roach down the edge were of a better stamp than further out

Image00012.jpg

It was a while until I hooked another carp – this time on my far margin line – and using the correct top kit. It was another mirror just a couple of ounces smaller than the first.

Image00006.jpg

Image00001.jpg Image00002.jpg

Image00004.jpg

From then on until I wrapped up it was just loads more roach -a fair few that I probably would have netted had I been in a match. I was about to finish when I hooked another carp – the scale I retrieved indicated where I’d caught it but there was always a chance there were one or two more in the vicinity so I carried on for a few more minutes without locating anything else.

Image00009.jpg
All told I’ll have had 10lb+ of roach (and a single rudd) plus the two carp so at least 20lb which isn’t a bad days fishing for the back end of March.

Image00007.jpg

We were also treated to a Miser masterclass - although as you can see one of his pupils has ran off and the other is keeping his distance :p :p :p :ROFLMAO::p

Simon
Great day, lively report ,very nice pics and well angled ,thank you