Nice bird...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruddy Roach

Saw this in my garden in Yorkshire today.

R0010676.png

Any ideas to what it is??

cheers

andy[:)]

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
It's a female blackbird which has flown into a wall ? [:)][;)]

Ruddy Roach

thanks for the replys

are you sure Zebedee??

google seems to sugest otherwise

:S

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Just lightened it up for a better look.[;)]

Datafile10.asp

Ruddy Roach

thanks peter :)

hahah yeh it had big round eyes.

What made me (well my uncle) notice it at first, was it looked to have a beak upturned like a banana.

When I saw the picture it looks like its got a twig in its mouth, or it's a twig showing from a branch behind it. But something was definately bent up from its beak.

I don't know if the white under its wing can help in indentifying it??

Pieman, it was around the same size as a blackbird/thrush (or possibly very slightly bigger), but definately smaller than a pidgeon.

The search goes on...

BARRYBLOKE

Account Locked
Well Mucker you have me stumped with this one and Ive been into "feathered birds" all my life.
Tell you what though it definitely isnt a crossbill or a linnet.
Its a chick and so its coloration isnt true as yet. You can still see down on the back of its head.
My guess is its a female blackbird just out of the nest (chicks nearly always look bigger than their parents because they still have fluffy down to preen out while their proper plumage grows on)but I wouldnt swear to it. That ruddy patch on the chest is throwing me although looking at its tail I would bet money on it.
Going for another look.
Datafile10.asp

Thats a female blackbird in her winter plumage.
This is a linnet and a crossbill and it definitely isnt either of these.
Datafile10.asp
Datafile10.asp

Last edited:

Ruddy Roach

Yeh it's wierd, like a cross of birds. But I think the eye might be too big for a blackbird, unless it needs to "grow in to it", although it was a reasonable size to start with, like an adult blackbird. It also seems to have a tuft on the back of its head. :s

Can anyone work out whats happening with the beak???

Thanks!

:)

davidsenior

15/03/03 - 22/06/16
In Memoriam
Ruddy, I've just searched the entire R.S.P.B site and the nearest I come across is this. http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/n/nightingale/index.asp

I rather doubt it tho'.

I reckon you've spotted a bit of a rarity there mate.[;)]

How long have you been a "twitcher" LOL[:D]

<Ruddy, I've done a copy for you with a little bit of a background TWIG cloned out, it looks a bit diferent now, I think Blokey's got it.>

Datafile10.asp

Last edited:

mecca

Another smoggy
It's clearly a blackbird with a deformed beak. It's nothing like a linnet or a crossbill.

It could just be a blackbird with a twig in its mouth but im sure you would have seen the twig. It is nest building season after all. Its definatley a blackbird though. its not a redwing as theres no colouring.

BARRYBLOKE

Account Locked
The tuft on its head Roachy is down mate. The bird is definitely a chick fresh out of the nest. My money is on it being a female blackbird.
Most birds have the ability to cross their beaks for eating seeds etc. If you watch a bird preen you will see them frequently cross their beaks over.
Email Bill Oddie he will tell you in a second.[:D]

Last edited:

Ruddy Roach

how big will young birds be?? this looked like it was fully grown, or a decent size to start with atleast!

Status
Not open for further replies.