NHS Nurse experience

Freesolo82

My dad was admitted to hospital on the 24th after having stomach pains and a fever he was passed up the chain until he ended in A&E, His appendix had ruptured his lower colon was not healthy (radiation damage he also has prostate cancer) but they managed to save it and he is in hospital for at least 5 days to recover and we can't see him though we got 5 mins before he went for surgery.

The nurses are great for the most brilliant but you get the odd one that make you wonder why they ever thought they could nurse? my dad had a terrible night last night and was in pain also needed a drain emptying every few hours, the nurse assigned to him was a African lady no manners, referred to my dad as "him" was obnoxious and cold zero empathy and when the Dr did the rounds this morning she had not done any of the jobs she should have like record the fluid coming from his gut so they can get a baseline and know the infection is reduced. My dad never causes a fuss about anything half his friends don't even know he has cancer because he just doesn't talk about it so when he phoned this morning and told me all this I knew it was not a overreaction.

Anyone else had a bad experience like this? The other Nurses have been fantastic but maybe this person is in the wrong job even though we need all the people we can get in these times

TrickyD

Site Supporter
My dad was admitted to hospital on the 24th after having stomach pains and a fever he was passed up the chain until he ended in A&E, His appendix had ruptured his lower colon was not healthy (radiation damage he also has prostate cancer) but they managed to save it and he is in hospital for at least 5 days to recover and we can't see him though we got 5 mins before he went for surgery.

The nurses are great for the most brilliant but you get the odd one that make you wonder why they ever thought they could nurse? my dad had a terrible night last night and was in pain also needed a drain emptying every few hours, the nurse assigned to him was a African lady no manners, referred to my dad as "him" was obnoxious and cold zero empathy and when the Dr did the rounds this morning she had not done any of the jobs she should have like record the fluid coming from his gut so they can get a baseline and know the infection is reduced. My dad never causes a fuss about anything half his friends don't even know he has cancer because he just doesn't talk about it so when he phoned this morning and told me all this I knew it was not a overreaction.

Anyone else had a bad experience like this? The other Nurses have been fantastic but maybe this person is in the wrong job even though we need all the people we can get in these times
Ever had a s**t day? Maybe she did.Hope your dad's ok