NG ultra core elastic

Blanks

Site Supporter
For the last three years or so I have been a devotee of the NG Amber core elastic and the white 6-10 in particular, but being as a few kits needed changing I decided to try the NG Ultra core. Well, I have had the chance to try a few out recently and I have to say I am now a convert.
If there was any criticism of the Amber core it was that it was perhaps slightly too stretchy, fish running into the next peg that sort of thing. The ultra has that covered it stretches easily over the first few feet and then powers up giving much more control. I did buy a length of the Matrix Slik the red 10-12 1.6mm,just as somthing to compare. The Slik is a nice elastic and I can understand the rave reviews it is getting but for me I prefer the Ultra because of the way it powers up, the slik seems to keep stretching.
I did notice that the ultra is thinner than the Slik at the stated diameter, which I like as It moves through the topkit better.
So far I have used the 4-6 Orange and the 6-8 White for silver fish and the 12-14 Yellow and 14-16 Blue on commercial Carp venues and the 10-12 Pink for Carp shallow, all have done the job admirably.
How long will it last? That remains to be seen but it doesn't appear any less durable than other elastics.
All in all a great product at a great price £5 per kit 50p cheaper if you order a 5m length.

JLK

Serious question.
I've used the matrix slik and thought the grading wasnt correct for the size on the packet. I also thought it wasn't very slick but almost sticky in nature compared to normal hollows, so sacked it off. Is this NG stuff the same?

Blanks

Site Supporter
I always dip the tip and stretch the elastic every put in as a matter of habit and have no problem with the elastic running smoothly. With the ultra core I take the lower number as the indicator of strength, I find it powers up quicker than slik, which I like as I don't want fish leaving my swim when hooked.

Rick123

Site Supporter
I've mentioned before how I thought the Slik was far too stretchy. I've changed to Daiwa Hydro now and happy to date with it, landed 13 carp yesterday on the purple to double figures. It just seems right even to a novice like myself, I've been told by many its the best, I really don't know?

davej1981

I got the 10-12 pink and love it for open water though i prefer solids for margins and fishing to features

mytopkitisbroken

Site Supporter
I like the 10-12 pink stuff too but only for open water and no nig lumps as it just stretches and stretches and stretches

Blanks

Site Supporter
I landed a 16lb mirror today on the pink 10/12, bit hairy for the first couple of runs but tip under the water and healthy bend in the pole had it under control and in the net.
I have become really confident in this elastic, been using the the blue 14/16 in the margins for bigger fish and so far it's done all I've asked.

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
That reminds me, must dig my Middy M3 margin pole out with the 26 - 30 elastic. :eek::D